Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Bose Subwoofer upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Subwoofer upgrade

So I have been waiting for the perfect sub to upgrade the bose wheel subwoofer unit. During the summer I had a trip to the Harmen corporation for business and while I was there, I came across a new product that they would be offering in the fall called JBL BassPro Hub. This unit became available in the october of this year and I just installed mine last week before doing 1200 mile trip to my parents in Florida. This sub is awesome. What I wanted most was a system that could install easy and require no additional space over the OE unit. The BassPro Hub does all of that. It mounts right where the old one was located but it comes in an all aluminum casing with a 11 inch subwoofer as opposed to the Bose 5 1/4 unit. I ran 8 gauge power wire to a battery supplied terminal under the drivers seat. I installed a JL L.O.C.(Line output Convertor) to take the leads off of the Bose subwoofer and turn them into low level RCA inputs. The JL LOC uses current sensing from the audio leads to turn the unit on/off and even has an integrated remote power lead for the subwoofer/amp. So the only wire that I had to run outside of the spare wheel area was the power wire for the amp. The JBL BassPro Hub is a great unit that delivers 200 watts RMS and trounches the OE unit. it also is well constructed since it sits in an all aluminum cast hub as compared to the plastic housing of the Bose unit. In addition there is no rattling/vibration since the subwoofer is encased in the cast aluminum structure. Most of all the unit is a stealth installation like the original but far better in performance.

Last edited by Q7AudiJay; 11-25-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:06 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Any idea if this can easily retrofit the B&O sub as well, or does it only work with Bose? I know there are significant differences in wiring and data buss for the B&O, even though the sub sits in the same place physically.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

https://th.jbl.com/car-subwoofers/JB...car-subwoofers
Old 11-27-2018, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JKJ
Any idea if this can easily retrofit the B&O sub as well, or does it only work with Bose? I know there are significant differences in wiring and data buss for the B&O, even though the sub sits in the same place physically.
You would just need to identify the signal wires going into the B&O sub that you would use for the signal wires on the JBL BassPro Hub. I used the JL LOC to take the sub input leads and convert them into RCA jack or Low level input jacks that connect to the JBL BassPro Hub. Its a pretty easy installation. Most of the installation time will be spent running the power wire from under the seat to the rear of the vehicle. You only have to remove the drivers seat to install the power wire for the JBL BassPro Hub. It was easy for me since I was replacing the battery on the Q7. The rest of the wire can be tucked up under the side interior trim and fed to back area of the spare tire well to hook up to the JBL BassPro Hub.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

It’s been awhile since you did the install, how about a long term review and any pros and cons you’ve gathered?

Seems like this is the only real just about PNP option for the Q7 with the Bose and B/O audio system.
The following users liked this post:
zakress (07-24-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

There's no need to run a wire all the way to the drivers seat, there is a rear fuse box that has 30A+ fuses in it it could easily handle a 200W (16A) sub addon.. when I installed my ham radio I found unpopulated fuse spots that when I looked em up were for options that were like 20A fuses.. I slapped my own wire on the other side and put a fuse smaller than the original would of been.. all is well.
alangelier (11-02-2022)
Old 07-26-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
There's no need to run a wire all the way to the drivers seat, there is a rear fuse box that has 30A+ fuses in it it could easily handle a 200W (16A) sub addon.. when I installed my ham radio I found unpopulated fuse spots that when I looked em up were for options that were like 20A fuses.. I slapped my own wire on the other side and put a fuse smaller than the original would of been.. all is well.
JBL requires a direct connection to the battery with a 40A in line fuse within 18" of said battery. I know you can use the fuse box, but there would be some decent draw for a 2 ohm 200 watt RMS amp.

Curious if anyone has had success without the direct connection to the battery?
Old 10-12-2019, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

I just ordered this subwoofer for my Q7. I used to use JL Stealth boxes in other vehicles, but they do not have one for the Q7. I will post my results.
Built4Sin (10-13-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudeness30
I just ordered this subwoofer for my Q7. I used to use JL Stealth boxes in other vehicles, but they do not have one for the Q7. I will post my results.
Definitely do. Very interested, maybe make it a DIY?
Old 10-13-2019, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

The subwoofer came today. I dropped it into place just to check it out, and the fit looks very good. It comes with the appropriate adapter so it can be held in place by the center screw that it comes with. I don’t have the rest of my wiring yet, but I like what I see so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dudeness30:
Built4Sin (10-14-2019), Morgali (10-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Bose Subwoofer upgrade