A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose lug bolt damage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loose lug bolt damage?

2007 A8L. A month ago I pulled front wheels to fix clogged roof drains. Wheel lugs were very hard to remove and put back in even when they were not yet seated. I used the oem lug wrench. A few days ago I hear and feel a clunk on one side that increases as speed increases. I start wondering if I may have not put wheel on correctly as it was so hard to turn lugs I may not have seated fully, or seated it oddly. So I pull that wheel, reinstall and do my best to really seat the lugs - they were really hard to turn and squeaking and had to use my foot to get them to where I thought they should be. Quick test drive and sure enough the clunk was gone. My questions:

1. Could I have damaged the wheel, the lugs, or where the lugs threads into? Or something else like wheel bearing? When I first heard the clunk I drove about 60 miles before I "fixed" it. I'm thinking I should pull the wheel again and check the mating surface of the wheel I have zero confidence that they are torqued correctly. What should I look for on the wheel?

2. I'm thinking I also have to fix whatever is making those lugs so ha d to turn.. If I buy new lugs and that does not make it a smoother/easier turn, can I run a thread chaser through the part that receives the lug? Or will that screw with the integrity of those threads?
Old 11-29-2018, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I have had difficult to turn threads on lugs before when a shop overtorqued them, they damaged the hub. Nothing to be done about it, aside from replace the hub.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So not worth trying to clean up threads? I see aftermarket hubs for $125..I take it this is a fairly involved DIY fix to replace hub?
Old 11-30-2018, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Different take: I would be more focused on wheels and maybe lug bolts than hub. Hub is steel, as are bolts. Wheel is cast aluminum.

If threads look damaged or smushed in some way along the bolts, find replacements via eBay. Not expensive for the right ad. BTW, make sure your bolts are washered on the ball end, as well as conical at that washer (rather than angle cut). If they are not washered or not conical, you don't even have the good OE ones. On wheels, look carefully at the hub centers on each. If they are distorted in some way, wheel is compromised. Yes, you can look at hub bolt up points too, but to me less likely to be affected. Put a straight edge of some type across the flat surface at many points, and see if you find any distortion or bending.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I appreciate the two perspectives, and for the short money of bolts I'll try that first. Believe it or not I see the OEM rim, new, at a mere $157...almost too good to be true. I've owned this car since new and it drives just like the day I drove it off the lot, truly an amazing vehicle. Now if I could only get that damn passenger seat backrest to get working again...
Old 12-11-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

To close the loop, the rim and hub were fine. I bought new OEM lugs and ran a thread chaser through the hub thread holes to clean them up. Wheel then installed as it should, I could hand snug the lug nuts.