Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Oil & service intervals - VW 502 00/VW 504 00

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil & service intervals - VW 502 00/VW 504 00

I was wondering is there anything really in all actuality special about VW 502 00 or VW 504 00 spec. oil that is worth going to the lengths of finding over using something like a Castrol/Valvoline/Mobil SAE 5w-30 / 5w-40?

I just bought a 2015 Q5 3.0T a few months ago, have put about 10k miles on it currently at 67k and need to do the first service. I go to Advance to pick up some oil and try to find something on this list and there were many brands and weights to choose from but none of them matched the exact 'title' like there was a Castrol Edge High Mileage, but not Castrol Edge Professional, etc. does it matter that much? Also, wondering what would be the most advisable weight to put in my car considering the mileage and that we are entering Winter? I've heard from some enthusiasts certain weights are better for certain climates.. I'm in the DC area so it stays cool-cold until about March, but usually doesn't go below 10 F very often.

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-1.22.2018.pdf

Also, I'm wondering I talked to the Audi service department and they said they recommend 'lifetime fluids' for the transmission and I just had a 2007 BMW where they said the same thing and the transmission failed at 182k miles, I started changing transmission fluids after I put in another transmission and have not had a problem with regular transmission fluid changes causing problems.. I drive a lot and am trying to keep this car to about 250k miles without replacing a transmission if possible.. does this board have a strong opinion on whether the lifetime fluids thing is junk or not or if changing fluids really presents a risk to the transmission? I think the consensus on the bimmerfest forums is that if you want it to last for a long time you should change the fluids.. do you'll feel the same?

What else would they do besides change my oil if I took it to the dealership for a service that is actually worth doing? greasing sunroof slides and door hinges and checking other fluids? I know at BMW they want to basically take off every bolt and re-torque it for you.. which I think is ridiculous.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The VAG oil specs are meaningful. Have you been able to review them? There's some highly specific criteria that your generic 5W30 oil doesn't meet. Use OE spec fluids and filters in Euro cars, period.

The Mobil 1 0W40 product is cheap and e-z to obtain at Walmart if you are in the USA. That meets the old 502.00 spec, which is more robust than 504.00.

The "lifetime" fluid nonsense is the same as the other German mfrs. The only fluid I've experienced that might be lifetime is their coolants. They're excellent.

If you are looking for additional busy work, you can go to the Audi USA website and download the entire maintenance schedule for your vehicle. Yes, the sunroof and drains do have very specific routines. I'd also make it a point to clean the area ahead of the windshield. You need to remove the wide plastic panel and get in there with a shop vac. Make sure all your recalls are complete. We got a 2015 Q5 4 cylinder. Great vehicle, but more recalls than any vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Rltrdc
I was wondering is there anything really in all actuality special about VW 502 00 or VW 504 00 spec. oil that is worth going to the lengths of finding over using something like a Castrol/Valvoline/Mobil SAE 5w-30 / 5w-40?

I just bought a 2015 Q5 3.0T a few months ago, have put about 10k miles on it currently at 67k and need to do the first service. I go to Advance to pick up some oil and try to find something on this list and there were many brands and weights to choose from but none of them matched the exact 'title' like there was a Castrol Edge High Mileage, but not Castrol Edge Professional, etc. does it matter that much? Also, wondering what would be the most advisable weight to put in my car considering the mileage and that we are entering Winter? I've heard from some enthusiasts certain weights are better for certain climates.. I'm in the DC area so it stays cool-cold until about March, but usually doesn't go below 10 F very often.

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-1.22.2018.pdf

Also, I'm wondering I talked to the Audi service department and they said they recommend 'lifetime fluids' for the transmission and I just had a 2007 BMW where they said the same thing and the transmission failed at 182k miles, I started changing transmission fluids after I put in another transmission and have not had a problem with regular transmission fluid changes causing problems.. I drive a lot and am trying to keep this car to about 250k miles without replacing a transmission if possible.. does this board have a strong opinion on whether the lifetime fluids thing is junk or not or if changing fluids really presents a risk to the transmission? I think the consensus on the bimmerfest forums is that if you want it to last for a long time you should change the fluids.. do you'll feel the same?

What else would they do besides change my oil if I took it to the dealership for a service that is actually worth doing? greasing sunroof slides and door hinges and checking other fluids? I know at BMW they want to basically take off every bolt and re-torque it for you.. which I think is ridiculous.
1. Maybe overworking the oil search and analytics a bit perhaps. I don't try to outthink the manufacturer, plus if anything blows in any warranty period I want have the right oil in it. For example, on 4.0T's that are having turbo's blow in some cases even at low mileages, word is the oil is being checked. In any case, save time and gas and Advanced trips and all and just check the web for a few minutes. For example, Mobil 1 0W40 is a 502 oil. Available just about anywhere these days. Or, various Castrol flavors, for example this one for $24 for 5 quarts:
https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03101-0W-40-Advanced-Synthetic/dp/B00JGQLZSU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1544199293&sr=8-5&keywords=castrol+5W40 https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03101-0W-40-Advanced-Synthetic/dp/B00JGQLZSU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1544199293&sr=8-5&keywords=castrol+5W40
There is also a 5W40 and a 5W30 in that one IIRC. Only the 0W40 in Mobil 1 is 502 compliant. More generally, if the name has something like "European Formula" in it, when you check the fine print, it commonly says 502 compliant. There are 504 oils too, but less common in U.S. so far. Those often say "ESP" in the labelling.

2. Any lifetime fluid is, well, "lifetime." If your tanny blows at 200,000, or at 80,000, that's lifetime. Not one mile more or less. Audi basically cares only until 50K, other than getting a bad general rap for gross unreliability if it gets that bad. Like other manufacturers these days, they also prefer to call things lifetime for purposes of cost of ownership calc's you sometimes see--any service interval gets added into those costs. Sells better to a lot of owners too who don't want any extra "maintenance hassles." Both BMW and Audi use ZF transmissions in many cases. Audi used say the same thing as ZF about tranny fluid, until about 15 years ago. Here again, I follow the (true) manufacturer's recommendations. ZF's basically say somewhere in the 60-100K mile range. Coolant would be another, where when specs were once available for long life type coolants they were approx 5 years.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-07-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

I use Castrol Edge Titanium FST 5W30. Not sure if others use 50400 spec oil but I do. Audi Q5 specs are 50200 but I think 50400 spec was added recently.

if you use 50400 spec only 5W30 is acceptable

Audi approved oils
Old 12-07-2018, 07:35 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Many oils they sell at Advance Auto meet 502 spec. Mobile 1 0w-40 comes to mind as well as one of the LiquiMoly's and Pentosin High Performance II.

I think it depends on what your definition of "lifetime" is. I am also not a believer in "lifetime fill" fluids. My joke is the fluid lasts the lifetime of the fluid. How long is that? Even ZF (the transmission manufacturer) recommends replacing the transmission fluid. The high fluid cost and associated labor turns most people off. For reference the trans fluid alone on my '14 SQ5 was over $400. Also I change the front, center and rear differential fluids as well if you plan to keep for high mileage.
FWIW many people don't change those fluids and have no issues but many also trade in before 100k miles too.

Also I would do 5k oil changes but that is just me.

If you are going to the dealer maybe have them inspect motor mounts, suspension bushings. Even though the car is relatively new those are things that sometime go bad quickly.
Also check the water pump for any leaking. And upper timing chain tensioners if you are still under warranty and are experiencing any startup rattle.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Advance Auto sells the eurospec 5W-40 Edge, just read the label. Last month they had the 5 qts. for $25 offer, not this month. Probably next month.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m=Castrol+edge

Mobil usually has a $12 rebate on 5 qts. One rebate just ended in Oct., new one most likely 1st qtr. 2019.

Walmart sometimes has Mobil sales, one just recently, 5 qts. for $15. Last year I bought 4, 5 qtr. containers at $15 each, the Mobil $12 rebate was in effect. Cost me $3 per 5 qtr. container, or $12 for all 20 quarts.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:23 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

IMHO Castrol has too many product names. But unfortunately it is whom the manufacturer has licensed with and chosen to stamp on the oil fill cap.
AFAIK these are NOT all the same. Castrol Edge Professional 5w-40 (dealer oil), Castrol Syntec 5w-40 (I don't think in US anymore), Castrol Edge w/ SPT, Castrol Edge or Castrol Edge with Titanium. However they probably all meet the spec.
Since Castrol was at the center of the "what is synthetic" oil debate years ago I don't really care much for them. There are too many other quality oils to be bothered.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

+1. All of Castrol's marketing nonsense and frequent name changing is of no help to the consumer. Far too confusing.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Many oils they sell at Advance Auto meet 502 spec. Mobile 1 0w-40 comes to mind as well as one of the LiquiMoly's and Pentosin High Performance II.

I think it depends on what your definition of "lifetime" is. I am also not a believer in "lifetime fill" fluids. My joke is the fluid lasts the lifetime of the fluid. How long is that? Even ZF (the transmission manufacturer) recommends replacing the transmission fluid. The high fluid cost and associated labor turns most people off. For reference the trans fluid alone on my '14 SQ5 was over $400. Also I change the front, center and rear differential fluids as well if you plan to keep for high mileage.
FWIW many people don't change those fluids and have no issues but many also trade in before 100k miles too.

Also I would do 5k oil changes but that is just me.

If you are going to the dealer maybe have them inspect motor mounts, suspension bushings. Even though the car is relatively new those are things that sometime go bad quickly.
Also check the water pump for any leaking. And upper timing chain tensioners if you are still under warranty and are experiencing any startup rattle.
Castrol Edge 5w40 for my 2 liters, local Audi dealer recommends changing it every 7500km. Transmission fluid (DL 501 7 speed Stronic) schedule is every 65K km. And yes, motor mounts will fail sooner than other brands, mine had both changed at 85K km, they said the new revision for this part should last way more.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

I don't know why you are all confused by the Castrol labeling.

I have been buying Castrol Edge 5W-40 from Advance Auto for over 5 years now. It is the one and only Edge with the "Eurospec 502" rating on the label indicating its use for BMW, MB, VW, etc.

I gave the link above, zoom in on the label, read the specs description, no confusion what so ever.
  • Castrol EDGE with Fluid Titanium has twice the film strength of our previous formula based on the HFRR friction test.
  • Motor oil formulated to meet the needs of BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen and is compatible with all conventional and synthetic motor oils
  • Meets or exceeds API SL, SJ, CF; GM-LL-B-025; VW 502 00, 505 00; BMW LONG LIFE-98; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine motor Oils
  • Porsche-approved except Cayenne V6; MB-Approval 229.3
It also looks like that you can now purchase oil online, apply the normally available 20-25% discount in doing so, pick it up at the store. In the past your weren't able to do that with oil.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 12-07-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil & service intervals - VW 502 00/VW 504 00