Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Loud intermittent resonance tone coming from mid to rear of 2015 Q7.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud intermittent resonance tone coming from mid to rear of 2015 Q7.

I just bought a 2015 Q7 Premium Plus with only 14600 miles from an Audi dealership. It makes an uncomfortable noise that I can only tolerate by turning up the music. I'm a very tuned in mechanic and I suspected the problem was from somewhere in the drive train or suspension system. I thought I could get this problem easily solved since its still under warranty, but so far, two separate Audi dealership service managers can't seem to hear the noise. One of them blamed it on the tires.
The tires are not the problem. First, they are like new, and second if they were the problem, the noise would be obviously affected by changes in the road surface and speeds.

The noise does come and go, so this makes it odd for a drive train. The noise is almost like when you blow across the end of a tube and it makes a howling vibration.

What does anyone else think?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

being a tuned mechanic, wouldn't you think centerish noise would be coming from the transfer case?
would be really bad if that was it with 14k miles.
I'de swap tires front to back and see if the location changes.
If the car sat for a long time on certain surfaces you can get a flat spot on a tire that will howl but it would always do it not occasionally.
The other thing is are all 4 tires the same size? is one more worn than the other 3?
I mean I would guess transfer case every time. Mine would occasionally make noise so I changed the fluid and it vanished, but im at 155k miles not 14k. but who knows the history of the vehicle?
Old 12-12-2018, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks bspurloc, your reply is much appreciated. The sound begins to tone in at around 63-65 mph. When its making the sound and I drive over small bumps in the road, the tone volume spikes up with the bump. It sounds like a big round steel tube being hit with a soft hammer. Like a giant wind chime tube, or a muffled xylophone plate being struck. Never heard something like this before. Could it be suspension related? Like are there air shocks that might make this noise when cold?

I'll swap both sides tires front to back and hear if that makes a difference. By the way it has 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires on the factory 20" 5-spoke sport wheels.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does it sort of sound like this video at 18seconds-25seconds?

Old 12-13-2018, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ooops!! sorry that post was for the other dudes brake noises lol! I was wondering why i didnt see my respond to him hahaha.
but wait your sound could be this also.
but still i would be worried about the transfer case still.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Have you tried manually downshifting the transmission while hearing the noise? Does lifting the throttle change the noise abruptly? I had a set of tires get noisy during a road trip out west once. I was sure the rear differential was the noise source. Until I rotated the tires ;-)
Old 12-20-2018, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks everyone. I have not had the opportunity to rotate the tires and see it that changes anything. I realize this is pretty important part of troubleshooting, but as its under warranty and I only just bought it from an Audi dealer, I really want the dealer to do it, not me. It is worse at 63-65 mph, although it can at times be heard at other speeds. Sometimes it isn't heard. Would/could a bad wheel bearing make an intermittent whine instead of one that increases linearly with speed? When the noise is audible, going over bumps in the road increase its volume a lot. I could swear it has something to do with the suspension system. (This Q7 does NOT have the adaptive suspension.) People on the speaker phone with me hear it too. I'll have to figure this out, or must trade it in because this tonal vibration takes all the enjoyment out of driving it.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Worth getting audi to have a look at the centre drivshaft support bearing as these are prone to failure and like all drive shaft noise such as bad universal joints or even cv’s they will whine or vibrate. Even though your car is 3 years old it may of been exposed to heavily snowed roads or water etc that can create premature failure to the centre support bearing.
end of the day take an audi tech for a drive with you at the particular speed and point out the noise to him and ask them to go through it from top to bottom under the warranty cover. Good luck
Old 06-17-2022, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have this same problem on 14 q7. It’s strange. It did begin after I had my tires rotated at the dealership. It was insufferable and I had to make a long trip… when I got back I took the car to have the tires balanced and it got better but not gone. Still pretty bad. I have an appointment but still have 2 weeks to wait. Would love to know what it is. There is a rhythem with the tire rotation, almost like a flat spot but also a humming resonance sound that also hits a little louder when crossing a seam in the road. I’ve notice it also lessens or goes away when coasting down a hill without throttle. I’m thinking drive shaft too. But it did not make this noise before I rotated the tires. What did they do?
Old 06-17-2022, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 697 Likes on 578 Posts

So, your situation is similar, but also quite different, as you know it began after a tire rotation. A humming resonance is often result of high spots on tires or may signify low tread life remaining, and/or overinflated tires, which also makes them go bang over bumps like a basketball bouncing...you really feel every expansion joint in the road. It's likely your car needs an alignment, and it generally costs you nothing at an independent or chain store shop to verify the alignment status. Audi charges a ton for an alignment, and you can get a lifetime alignment done for less than Audi charges for a single alignment, etc., it just needs to be a place with latest computerized Hunter alignment rack, so it can interface with the car; especially if you have air suspension. Audi used to have a lock on doing the alignments, but now lots of shops have the newer alignment racks that can handle a Q7.

FWIW, and just in general, unless you've got an issue covered via extended warranty from the dealer, don't take it to an Audi dealership for any servicing...go find yourself a local indie shop specializing in German cars. For tires, I just take my Q7s to Sam's Club both to buy tires and maintain them. Discount Tire shops are an excellent source to evaluate your existing tires, as well as repairing a tire, etc. The papers from the dealer should list the tire tread depths and pressures checked on them.

FYI, just had my tires R&B'd, and mine are making some resonant noises too now, and really banging over sharp edges, such as expansion joints, etc. The reason on mine is primarily the inflation pressure (door placard pressures used) is very near the max tire pressure on sidewall of tires, and that the tread depth is halfway worn through. The combination of high inflation pressure, modest tread depth remaining on tires, and throw in a bit of uneven edges from the front tires high steering angles during driveway and parking lot maneuvers = noisy running tires. Mostly it is the high inflation pressures on mine, as they have always been noisy when 'overinflated' and not under load, but the treadwear contributes too.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 06-18-2022 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Tire pressures

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud intermittent resonance tone coming from mid to rear of 2015 Q7.