Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Engine coolant bottle almost empty

Old 12-07-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Engine coolant bottle almost empty

I'm at just over 14K miles, 2017 Q7. I got a warning on my MMI yesterday evening to turn off the car and check the engine coolant. Turns out the reservoir was almost empty. I have not seen any fluid on the ground in my garage at home or at work. The car was serviced at the dealer at 10.5K miles, so presumably the level was checked and OK at that time.
I bought some Pentofrost concentrate coolant at local auto parts store, diluted 1:1 with distilled water, and filled the tank with 3 cups-worth of fluid. I won't be able to get it to the dealer for a few weeks, and will keep an eye on the level (no change between last night and this morning). Curious to know if anyone else has had a mystery coolant leak and what was the outcome? I don't see or smell any leakage, though I have not gotten under the car to look for any staining underneath, but as I said I have not seen any on the ground.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
I'm at just over 14K miles, 2017 Q7. I got a warning on my MMI yesterday evening to turn off the car and check the engine coolant. Turns out the reservoir was almost empty. I have not seen any fluid on the ground in my garage at home or at work. The car was serviced at the dealer at 10.5K miles, so presumably the level was checked and OK at that time.
I bought some Pentofrost concentrate coolant at local auto parts store, diluted 1:1 with distilled water, and filled the tank with 3 cups-worth of fluid. I won't be able to get it to the dealer for a few weeks, and will keep an eye on the level (no change between last night and this morning). Curious to know if anyone else has had a mystery coolant leak and what was the outcome? I don't see or smell any leakage, though I have not gotten under the car to look for any staining underneath, but as I said I have not seen any on the ground.

Thanks!
I'd think that it is not a mystery, but rather it was screw-up by the dealer when your car was serviced last time.

Last edited by ConservativeConsumer; 12-07-2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: cc
Old 12-07-2018, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 3.0T engines have some known issues with the water pumps. I would take it to the dealer
Old 12-07-2018, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, planning on taking it to the dealer, but this time of year is crazy at work right now so it may be a few weeks before I can get it there. I'll keep a close eye on the level and can refill if needed, but wanted to see if anyone had an idea of where the coolant was actually going and whether the leak and the coolant going somewhere was possibly damaging anything. If not, I figure no harm in waiting a few weeks as long as I keep a close watch on the level, right?
Also, we've all had the experience of being BS'd by the dealer or not getting a satisfactory troubleshooting outcome, so knowing the common failure points helps. Thanks Allroading for the tip about the water pump. I am ignorant with this stuff - if the pump is bad, where is the coolant going? Leaking on the ground as I'm driving or mixing in with oil or something else into the engine?
Old 12-07-2018, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

At the store today walked by another q7 and it smelled like burning coolant
Old 12-08-2018, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJC 1
At the store today walked by another q7 and it smelled like burning coolant

What does that smell like? I'm not experienced with car work but is that the one that smells/tastes sweet? or is that antifreeze?

And this is a bit of a tangent, but deals with the "smell" of a parked Q7, I haven't heard anyone complain about the smell in the garage after driving their Q7. It was a hot topic last year where people would smell some burnt rubber or chemical after parking in their garage but doesn't seem to pop up anymore. Some said it would wear off after a few months.

Mine had this issue but the Q7 has been parked outside for the past 6+ months and I don't really smell it outside but I haven't parked it inside in a while either, so I can't say if the smell was gone or not. But last it was in the garage, it did smell, and that was just before the summer. Anyone finally get the smell to wear off after a while?
Old 12-10-2018, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7

Thanks!
Just keep it topped up. Mine did the same thing. I have to add about 6 cup total over two weeks. It was a leaky coolant pump. Never saw anything on the ground but could smell it in the engine area especially when running.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
What does that smell like? I'm not experienced with car work but is that the one that smells/tastes sweet? or is that antifreeze?

And this is a bit of a tangent, but deals with the "smell" of a parked Q7, I haven't heard anyone complain about the smell in the garage after driving their Q7. It was a hot topic last year where people would smell some burnt rubber or chemical after parking in their garage but doesn't seem to pop up anymore. Some said it would wear off after a few months.

Mine had this issue but the Q7 has been parked outside for the past 6+ months and I don't really smell it outside but I haven't parked it inside in a while either, so I can't say if the smell was gone or not. But last it was in the garage, it did smell, and that was just before the summer. Anyone finally get the smell to wear off after a while?
Burnt coolant has a very distinct bittersweet type smell, you would only smell it if the vehicle is hot and while it's dripping on the trans, engine, exhaust or other hot part. Get it serviced. most likely a water pump.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by txaudiguy

Just keep it topped up. Mine did the same thing. I have to add about 6 cup total over two weeks. It was a leaky coolant pump. Never saw anything on the ground but could smell it in the engine area especially when running.
Thanks. Good to know. So far the level has not dropped appreciably since topping it off last week. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm now less nervous about waiting until next month to take it to the dealer.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once fill it to MAX level, it will drop to MIN after 5000 KM approximately. I usually check the coolant level every 5000 KM and add water to MAX. While doing 60,000 KM maintenance last week, water stain was spotted and filed for replacement under warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine coolant bottle almost empty