Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Keeping Mythos black clean & ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping Mythos black clean & ceramic coating

I’m going to get iron remover, clay bar and do a full new car prep so I can detail the car myself. I’m finding most people are doing ceramic coatings more and more especially on black. The cheapest I’ve found was 750 for 2yr coating. The product isn’t that expensive and I wouldn’t think it would be that labor intensive. Maybe it is? I could see like 200-500 for ceramic coating but I’m finding thousands of dollars. Anyone have any tips or products they like to use for their black paint or any paint for that matter. I’m going to use a sealant but what does everyone find good results with or any that you didnt like is helpful too. I also was curious for the wheels finding they have a sealant as well. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

cquartz is great, ammo reflex is great. Really easy install and under $100
There are certainly better products out there, but if I have to re-do it once a year, its still way cheaper and seems to work just as well.

I did cquartsUK about 4 months ago on mythos black and still goin strong
Old 12-09-2018, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as ceramics go, you’re paying for the skilled installer. It’s not as easy as “wax on wax off”
Old 12-10-2018, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

There's a lot of shops that are really making a killing off these coatings. While most are a little more than "wipe on, wipe off" it's nothing 20 min on YouTube can't teach you. Some of the higher end ones require a heat or IR cure lamp, but most are easy garage applications
Old 12-10-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, the correct methodology is to perfect the paint prior to coating application. This initial step can be hours of time to get the car looking its best. There's reason many pro detailers are charging $1000+ for this process.

As mentioned above, the are polishes designed to accept a spray-on/wipe-off coating and yield a pleasing result that could last 6 months or so. Total cost, not including the polisher, would be around $100.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Absolutely. $1000 for paint correction PLUS coating is perfectly reasonable figuring 60-80 an hour plus materials.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chawski
Absolutely. $1000 for paint correction PLUS coating is perfectly reasonable figuring 60-80 an hour plus materials.
ok so you feel it’s worth it? I don’t know I’m on the fence. I don’t think it needs paint correction. I’ve seen some horrible black paint and mine is in really good shape so I wish they could just do the ceramic coating for cheaper and no paint correction. I’m guessing it includes all the prep before to get it ready it’s not just applying it on the paint. It should be like 300-500 bucks in my opinion. Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Yeah, the correct methodology is to perfect the paint prior to coating application. This initial step can be hours of time to get the car looking its best. There's reason many pro detailers are charging $1000+ for this process.

As mentioned above, the are polishes designed to accept a spray-on/wipe-off coating and yield a pleasing result that could last 6 months or so. Total cost, not including the polisher, would be around $100.
yeah ir must be all the prep work so I shouldn’t waste my time doing all of it myself then if I’m going to have someone else do it ? I was just thinking damn 1000 dollars for applying a coating after a detail. Seems to simple lol. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

As said above the actual cost of the product is minimal at around a $100 or so, I personally use the Gyeon range. The price blows out in how much preparation is required. Even with a white vehicle as I have there was about 2 to 3 hours going over it and doing preparation and correction of minor faults.

What is required - * Clean exterior of vehicle and remove any wax or polish from delivery. Full wash and clay bar treatment.
* Inspect condition of paint work and correct if required. This can include minor swirls, scratches, etc which needs to be done with a random orbital polisher and some knowledge on how to operate it.
* Another wash to remove any residue or dust from any polish.
* Dry the whole of the vehicle, it really needs to be drip free.
* Apply the surface preparation.
* Apply the paint protection in a small area at a time, allow it to "flash" then polish/buff out .
* If required, apply a cure coating.
* Once applied allow it to cure for a minimum of overnight in a covered enclosed area. Don't park it outside or it can streak the finish.
* Next day you need to inspect the vehicle and if required correct any missed parts.

Must have requirements are a protected work area safe from the elements, good lighting and the ability to wait up to 24 hours before needing to use the vehicle.

If you have the time, skills and necessary equipment than go for it, but if not than your choice is to pay someone to do it correctly which is where the cost increases. Depending on what product is used that is between 1 or 2 grand. To give you an example I was quoted $1850 for paint protection, glass treatment (exterior), wheels and exterior plastics with Gyeon products that will give you 24 months protection, this was to take 2 full days. I purchased the products (surface prep, paint, glass, plastic protection, polish pads and cloths) for around $400. Took half of Saturday morning to wash and prepare the vehicle. Some lunch and then into applying the product, all up maybe 8 hours. Allowed the vehicle to cure until the Monday morning and another week before able to wash it. I was happy with my job as I know what I am doing, but no warranty on my work and if I had stuffed it up a costly repair bill.

Last edited by Martigary; 12-10-2018 at 10:43 PM.