A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Transmission completely off the rails

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Transmission completely off the rails

Over the course of the past year maybe, I have posted some observations about my transmission doing funny things. Today, it almost got me into an accident.

I was behind a small SUV behind a tractor trailer. The semi was doing 15 in a 50 and its a two lane road. The suv in front of me wasnt moving over and there was a line of cars backing up behind me. I saw an opening and I mashed my foot to the floor. The car behind me saw me getting ready to pass so he started getting ready to follow me.

The moment my transmission downshifted, it spun up to redline and bounced off the rev limiter twice. I went nowhere. The car made a ton of noise but didnt move an inch. The car behind me thought I was going and almost hit me. I had to let off the gas in order for it to get "back in gear" and start rolling again.

I have no idea what is going on but this isnt the first time this has happened, but it was the worst time. It usually just hangs at rev limiter until I let off the gas, this time it was bouncing....
Old 12-12-2018, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Does it seem like the clutch didn't engage and the car was effectively in neutral?
Old 12-12-2018, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JD15
Does it seem like the clutch didn't engage and the car was effectively in neutral?
Showed 2nd gear on the dash. It has always showed a gear when this happens. Im wondering if its completely slipping. Less than 3k till my 30k checkup, I will bring it up then.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a manual transmission, so my experience may be completely irrelevant. I also experienced a slipping clutch and the problem was that the master cylinder (apparently positioned above the clutch) was leaking fluid onto the clutch and the added lubrication would cause the clutch to slip when I applied the throttle over about 50%. I assume the DSG transmission also has a master cylinder and clutch plates, so your problem could be similar. It took my dealer about three weeks and two clutch replacements to figure this out.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SDakota
I have a manual transmission, so my experience may be completely irrelevant. I also experienced a slipping clutch and the problem was that the master cylinder (apparently positioned above the clutch) was leaking fluid onto the clutch and the added lubrication would cause the clutch to slip when I applied the throttle over about 50%. I assume the DSG transmission also has a master cylinder and clutch plates, so your problem could be similar. It took my dealer about three weeks and two clutch replacements to figure this out.
And these are reasons I wont own a vehicle without a warranty.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
... The moment my transmission downshifted, it spun up to redline and bounced off the rev limiter twice. I went nowhere. The car made a ton of noise but didnt move an inch. ....
This actually happened to me once last year. I was stuck behind some traffic that had come to a standstill. There were many cars going by in the lane next me, but as soon as I saw an opening, I mashed the pedal to the floor and the car moved about a foot ... and then just sat there. It freaked me out because there more cars coming up and I thought I would hit. I completely let my foot up, and then pushed it down -- but less aggressively this time -- and my car finally accelerated.

I thought it was user error, because it has never happened to me again (thank God).
Old 12-12-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

i think your engine mods have caught up to you.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gguy
That would be sad considering I rarely drive this car hard.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gguy

Yeah man sorry OP but I don't know that you have a valid warranty anymore. Hopefully you have a good relationship with your dealer because many times you bring a car in that has mods like yours on it and they reach into the drawer for the extra-fine-toothed comb to actively search for a reason to TD1 you. It may not even be the dealer's call: I would guess Audi corporate may even have to break out their combs to review to authorize a DSG replacement if troubleshooting starts to head down that path.

I would recommend returning your vehicle completely back to stock before you bring it in for this problem.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I agree. I think maybe one of the clutches are slipping. I think the JB4 mappings have something to do with it.
I think you only have JB4 and cold air intake that relates to power train, right? Might be better to take out all the JB4 wiring this time around before the dealership visit

Quick Reply: Transmission completely off the rails