Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Coupe to Sportback

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coupe to Sportback

Thinking about trading my 2018 RS5 coupe for a 2019 RS5 sportback. I love the look and style of my coupe. But I miss the four doors and the room of my SQ5. Anytime I go out with friends they never want to take my car. We end up taking my outback or their cars. Wondering on what to do. I would order the same color (Nardo) and all the same specs. Just wondering if it is worth my friends or not 😂😂. Just not 100 percent sold on the sportback styling. Also how is the room in the back for adults?
Old 12-13-2018, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I had my S5 SB for three months and gave it up for a SQ5, partially because business associates commented a few times on what a PIA ingress was to the back seats. I prefer driving a car, but this case the "lifted" S5 won out. The SB is better than the coupe in this regards, but it's not really optimal either.

Last edited by NABS4; 12-13-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an A5 cab and the back seats are not exactly big but I've had people ride in the back and they say it's not bad for short trips. I'm sure the driving experience in the sportback is not as much fun as the coupe and I wouldn't get a sedan again. I learned something a very long time ago, Never buy a car for other people! I drive what I like and not so I can make others comfortable. When I'm taking people on a longer trip, I have a Q5 that we take. My advice is drive what you like.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 10 A5 Coupe that I loved, then a 16 S3 sedan, which was a little rocketship, but not nearly as pretty as the A5. Last year I replaced that with the S5 SB, mostly because I have children with legs that require rides on occasion ;-) It's a great car to drive, but not nearly as good looking as the coupe. It's not ugly by any stretch, and the interior is excellent, and the rear seats are more than acceptable for most adults.

If you love the styling of the coupe and can't give that up, don't. If you love the driving of the platform, the SB is very very good.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Thinking about trading my 2018 RS5 coupe for a 2019 RS5 sportback. I love the look and style of my coupe. But I miss the four doors and the room of my SQ5. Anytime I go out with friends they never want to take my car. We end up taking my outback or their cars. Wondering on what to do. I would order the same color (Nardo) and all the same specs. Just wondering if it is worth my friends or not 😂😂. Just not 100 percent sold on the sportback styling. Also how is the room in the back for adults?
well , the sb is not as big as the sq5 but the space is very useable. I would not have clients sit back there but I had friends back comfortably on long trips. With the car in comfort suspension mode, my rear passengers tell me the ride is comfortable and the exhaust sound good from back there. The coupe is a very nice looking car, I know I would have to give up a little bit in styling for particalilty.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by bextreme1
I have an A5 cab and the back seats are not exactly big but I've had people ride in the back and they say it's not bad for short trips. I'm sure the driving experience in the sportback is not as much fun as the coupe and I wouldn't get a sedan again. I learned something a very long time ago, Never buy a car for other people! I drive what I like and not so I can make others comfortable. When I'm taking people on a longer trip, I have a Q5 that we take. My advice is drive what you like.

I could not have said it better! In our case, we have an RDX if we are driving more than the two of us.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I cross shopped the S4 and S5 sportback, and the s4 and s5 rear leg room seemed about the same in both. I love the sportback styling and obviously that is what I chose. I personally prefer 4 doors and the sportback design gives you the coupe look/feel with 4 doors.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I currently have a 2013 B8.5 RS5 Coupe and I'm replacing it with an RS5 SB. I got fed up of the large coupe doors that often made getting in and out difficult in parking spaces. Additionally, I often have 2 friends with me and although one of them gets in the back without complaining, I would definitely appreciate having the 4 doors again. When I have tried getting in the back seat on an A/S5 SB, the ingress/egress seemed fine to me, so my friends will have to make do! It's going to be much easier than getting in the back of the coupe!
Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Not driving other people is a bonus. Use their gas and put miles on their car. LOL
Old 12-14-2018, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CtheW0rld
Not driving other people is a bonus. Use their gas and put miles on their car. LOL
Is that why you are friendless?

Quick Reply: Coupe to Sportback