Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Second "Brake pad spring" installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Second "Brake pad spring" installed

I'm not quite sure if everyone notice that there is ONE brake pad spring installed. In fact, there's space for the second brake pad spring. The purpose of this installation is to apply equal pressure on brake pads.
After installing this small part on, you can feel the difference instantly. With the same operation as before, you can stop the vehicle with shorter distance. In other words, the braking ability is simply improved with low cost.
Strongly recommend to try it, and you won't regret.

This is how it looks like.

Before installation. It's empty in the red circle.

After installation. The second brake pad spring is in place (red circle).

Last edited by markchen; 12-14-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why wouldnt Audi utilize, being so very inexpensive?
Old 12-14-2018, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RJC 1
Why wouldnt Audi utilize, being so very inexpensive?
Have no idea.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a part number on that? where did you purchase?

any idea whether this helps with brake squeal issue? I had noticed early on that this spring was missing and that the service manual showed both springs installed. Wonder whether lack of spring allows pads to vibrate in reverse causing squeal and then that would explain why there is no squeal when braking going forward.
cheers.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

#4M0615269 this is the retainer spring for the brakes.. i notice this as well when swapping out my summer setup to winter, why is there only 1 retainer spring on each side..
Old 12-15-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I am missing something, but how would a second spring improve braking performance? The only purpose of retention springs is to keep the pads from rattling in the caliper / around the pins. Retention springs have no effect on clamping pressure applied by the pistons. I fail to see how having two springs would enhance performance.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by InkBlueQ7
do you have a part number on that? where did you purchase?

any idea whether this helps with brake squeal issue? I had noticed early on that this spring was missing and that the service manual showed both springs installed. Wonder whether lack of spring allows pads to vibrate in reverse causing squeal and then that would explain why there is no squeal when braking going forward.
cheers.
Unfortunately, this won't do any help on squeal issue. The squealing sound started around 45000 KM and I was told it's because of environment-friendly material. You can try to polish the surface but the sound will come back again eventually. Or, you can simply replace them. I did the replacement at 56000 KM. As you can see in the picture below, the pads were barely used. The original thickness was 10 mm and those four were 8.7, 9.8, 8.0, and 8.7 mm remaining, respectively. (The thickness of the holder was 5 mm which needed to be deducted from the total measurement.)

Old 12-15-2018, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HPMan
Maybe I am missing something, but how would a second spring improve braking performance? The only purpose of retention springs is to keep the pads from rattling in the caliper / around the pins. Retention springs have no effect on clamping pressure applied by the pistons. I fail to see how having two springs would enhance performance.
I can't tell for sure how it will help to improve braking ability but this is the common impression while having the second pad spring installed. Since this is a tiny and inexpensive part, perhaps you can give it a try and feel the difference personally.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Updates?

Originally Posted by markchen
I can't tell for sure how it will help to improve braking ability but this is the common impression while having the second pad spring installed. Since this is a tiny and inexpensive part, perhaps you can give it a try and feel the difference personally.
any updates on this? I may go to dealer and buy the parts. Sorry, is this for both fronts and rears?
thanks
Bob
Old 01-17-2019, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BOBSQ5
any updates on this? I may go to dealer and buy the parts. Sorry, is this for both fronts and rears?
thanks
Bob
This is a set of two and I just installed for the fronts only.

Quick Reply: Second "Brake pad spring" installed