S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Vibration felt in steering wheel when trans S mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Vibration felt in steering wheel when trans S mode

So, for some reason Audi programmed this S4's engine idle to increase by about 200rpm when the trans is in S mode.
Dynamic engine mode is supposed to increase throttle pedal response so it's silly to try this engine idle increase that is more annoying than actually providing any performance increase.
My issue is a vibration that comes on and is easily felt in the steering wheel, and a light vibration sensation in the pedals as well.

This ZF AT is a torque converter AT, so it makes no sense as to why Audi did this.
They would have done much better had they programmed a lower rpm lock up in the torque converter like BMW did with the same ZF AT.

In the current A4 with the DSG this same thing happens with engine idle increase in S mode.
However, in that car it makes some sense for an idle increase in S mode as it's an actual clutch engaged trans.
When the A4 is stopped, the clutch disengages from the flywheel and thus the engine.
The increased S mode rpm makes no difference because of this disconnect, and the feeling is a still smooth steering wheel.

In my S4, when I am stopped, I select S mode and the engine idle increases, along with a very noticeable vibration coming into and through the steering wheel.
Do any of you S4 and S5 owners have this vibration as well?

The vibration is annoying and unworthy of being in the higher performance version of the A4.
Before I take it to the dealer shop I want to get a sense if it's just my S4 or is it common to the current S4 line.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just my S4?

Ok, then I'll add it to my list of things the Audi techs need to look at.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by TT-S4
In my S4, when I am stopped, I select S mode and the engine idle increases, along with a very noticeable vibration coming into and through the steering wheel.
Do any of you S4 and S5 owners have this vibration as well?
Tried S mode yesterday on the way home and did not feel any vibration anywhere. Higher RPM, etc. being the same as you describe.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry TT, no vibration either. I'd have service look at it. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys.

It's possible there is something odd with my engine at that slightly higher rpm.
I would even suspect a bad engine mount, but, everything is quite smooth overall except for idle in S mode.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No vibration going to S mode
Old 01-15-2019, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ShawnM789
No vibration going to S mode
Thanks for your experience, data point.

To be clear, when your S4 is idle in D, you know how it feels.
When you put the trans in S at idle, there is no change in what you feel in the steering wheel, or any other area in your cabin?

I've been taking a closer "feel" regarding the vibration I am feeling.
There is a bit more light vibration in my steering wheel going from D to S.
But, I'm feeling stronger vibrations in my seat, drive shaft tunnel area, and pedals area.
IOW, there is a distinct difference in vibration level and feel going from D to S in my S4.

I'm going to wait for warmer weather before taking it in, so it may not be until towards the end of February.
The vibration is not "that" bad, and there are no fault lights.

Last edited by TT-S4; 01-16-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I do feel a slight increase in vibration from my steering wheel when going from D to S, brake applied, and the RPM went up slightly higher. But to me, this is acceptable since I came from a very harsh, modified car before. In fact, I am still trying to get used to the smoothness and quietness of my S4.

Last edited by ywang98; 01-16-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ywang98
I do feel a slight increase in vibration from my steering wheel when going from D to S, brake applied, and the RPM when up slightly higher. But to me, this is acceptable since I came from a very harsh, modified car before. In fact, I am still trying to get used to the smoothness and quietness of my S4.
I understand what you're saying.
Some years back I too was into the modified car love.
My era was a while back with the Diamond Star Motors triplets based on the Mitsubishi 2.0 turbo and AWD Eclipse.
They were a great platform to build on and modify.
That was around the same time as the RX7 turbo, 300ZX, Supra TT, Mits 3000GT
Rough, raw, loud, and a lot of fun.

Of course, that is a completely different point of reference.
Which is why most of these things can be and are subjective.
I have no idea what Audi was thinking by increasing the idle rpm, as they too must have noticed the increased vibration felt by the driver and in the surrounding cabin.
That kind of vibration is not appealing in a car like this, not to me at least.

I'm coming directly out of a BMW 340i Mposrt, which is the direct competitor to the S4, so my expectations and reference is different.
Both cars have 3.0, 6 cylinder, turbo engines, and they both use the same ZF 8spd AT.
Audi does some things better than BMW, but, BMW does some things better than Audi.
For me, I can see that I prefer the things that BMW does better compared to what Audi does better.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I think this is as you stated, a subjective matter. Now if my steering wheel started to vibrate like my old modified car, I wouldn't be able to handle that...

Perhaps you can find another S4 owner in your area and try out his/her car? Or you can ask the dealer to show you another S4?

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Vibration felt in steering wheel when trans S mode