Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Quantum vs. Nardo

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts
Default Quantum vs. Nardo

Can you distinguish Quantum Grey vs. Nardo Grey in the wild, how close are the two colors?
The S5 below is a 2019 in Quantum and the A3 S-line is Nardo, are they really that close in color?
Does Quantum and Nardo look the same in daylight, but in overcast or at dusk do they appear different?

Last edited by synergize; 01-14-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This should help you out https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...2954500/page2/
hard to tell the difference in pictures but side by side and in the real world you can tell the difference. Quantum is darker than Nardo. I'll leave it to you to determine which one you like better.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by evanseric21
This should help you out https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...2954500/page2/
hard to tell the difference in pictures but side by side and in the real world you can tell the difference. Quantum is darker than Nardo. I'll leave it to you to determine which one you like better.
Thanks Evan.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Both look pretty awesome. But Nardo is not a metallic paint, right? What about Quantam? If not, is there a metallic color that comes close?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Both look pretty awesome. But Nardo is not a metallic paint, right? What about Quantam? If not, is there a metallic color that comes close?
On Audiusa.com if the paint is metallic Audi uses the word metallic in the paint name. The other exception is if it's a Pearl paint. Quantum is just
listed as Quantum so evidently it is not metallic. This may not be correct, but it's all I could come up with.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure what the official term is but I would say both Nardo and Quantum or "flat" colors. Not matte as they do have a shine but not like metallic
Old 01-14-2019, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe Nardo pops more over Quantum. I see Quantum as "meh". It's just ok; too warm of a gray IMHO.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't seen either in the flesh, but I'v really liked Nardo in most or all pics I've seen of it. It's a crisp, clean gray and I think that's important to get the look that it conveys, especially against the optional black trim. I have silver trim with my daytona, but I'd never consider silver with Nardo.

OTOH, Quantum seems quite a "dirty" gray with more green/brown in it. Now this might be much better at staying clean in some conditions and some people will prefer it anyway as the overall look might be more subtle..

But, for me, it seems to detract from what makes Nardo special to me.

I'd order Nardo without seeing it - not so the Quantum,
Old 01-15-2019, 03:50 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
On Audiusa.com if the paint is metallic Audi uses the word metallic in the paint name. The other exception is if it's a Pearl paint. Quantum is just
listed as Quantum so evidently it is not metallic. This may not be correct, but it's all I could come up with.
Having ordered the Daytona Gray Pearl sight unseen I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of “metal flake” in the paint. I’m not sure why they call Daytona Gray a “Pearl” but . . .
Old 01-15-2019, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Having ordered the Daytona Gray Pearl sight unseen I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of “metal flake” in the paint. I’m not sure why they call Daytona Gray a “Pearl” but . . .
I recall some (to me anyway) quite ugly white pearlescent paint jobs on some japanese cars quite a few years ago - I really didn't like the effect.

So, when I ordered my Daytona, I was wishing it could be just straight metallic. However, when I saw the colour in the flesh I couldn't understand why they called it pearl instead of simply metallic as that's what it looked like to me.

Then, after 9 months of ownership, my wife and I were walking back to the car on a sunny day and it struck me that the paint had this amazing quality of depth and smoothness that I had never noticed before - I could only describe it as a "pearlescent" glow. I'm not sure yet if this was a fluke of the light in that particular location on that day or if this quality in the paintwork will be more apparent to me in the future. Time will tell, but I hope it's the latter.

Anyway, I agree that the distinction between metallic and pearl is subtle WRT Audi's Daytona. But, when the light is just right it's unmistakable and I suspect the distinctive qualities affect appreciation of the color and paint quality even when the actual pearlescence being different to metallic isn't so obvious.

Quick Reply: Quantum vs. Nardo