TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2000 TT headlight/taillight beginner's question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2000 TT headlight/taillight beginner's question

So I got a 2000 TT Quattro a couple a weeks ago, and want to change all the lights, because some are dimmer than the opposite sides, and some don't work at all. Since I don't see any complete sets available, exactly what do I need? I want to replace every bulb in each headlight and taillight, nothing else (not fender side lights, interior, etc.). From the looks of it, it appears each headlight and taillight has four bulbs inside. What are each one called? Do they make complete sets?

Also, any particular kind that's recommended? I like LED but are they too bright? I don't want it to look like my brights are always on. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Buy them individually from a dealer parts department. Or look online at genuine audi parts dot com for part numbers. I never heard of "sets" of automotive bulbs. Not aware of anyone kitting them. These aren't pinball machines where bulb, fuse and rubber ring kits are sold on fleabay. Plus the kits are overpriced. Way better to buy boxes of bulbs to have spares.
Also, any good auto parts store can look up generic bulb numbers. Heck, Pep Boys, Auto Zone etc. have on-line catalogs that you can use. Beware that the two packs of bulbs get quite expensive. I'd pay a bit more and buy OEM stuff from a dealer. The only decent auto parts store bulbs are Wagner which have an additional filament holder to prevent breakage from physical shocks.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Buy them individually from a dealer parts department. Or look online at genuine audi parts dot com for part numbers. I never heard of "sets" of automotive bulbs. Not aware of anyone kitting them. These aren't pinball machines where bulb, fuse and rubber ring kits are sold on fleabay. Plus the kits are overpriced. Way better to buy boxes of bulbs to have spares.
Also, any good auto parts store can look up generic bulb numbers. Heck, Pep Boys, Auto Zone etc. have on-line catalogs that you can use. Beware that the two packs of bulbs get quite expensive. I'd pay a bit more and buy OEM stuff from a dealer. The only decent auto parts store bulbs are Wagner which have an additional filament holder to prevent breakage from physical shocks.
Thanks for the info, I will buy them individually and OEM. The only problem is that I don't know what each one is called. My Autozone is notorious for having to know the exact name or part, they aren't much help. Each headlight contains about 4 bulbs. All I know for certain is that one of those bulbs is called a headlight bulb. What about the rest?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

one Headlight Xenon or Halogen depending on your vehicle. Dealer will look up based on VIN. Or you can tell if light is blue/white or white/yellow.
one High beam Halogen lamp
one Fog lamp
one parking lamp (in amber area)
one turn signal lamp (in amber area)
Old 01-18-2019, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Yeah, the beauty of buying from the dealer is they only need the VIN and THEY will tell you exactly what you need