A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

After Market Windshield

Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Market Windshield

Just a word of caution to share on the B9. Had a decent rock chip in the windshield and HAD aftermarket replace the window ( moblie workshop). While the Auto wipers still pick up rain drops my Collision alert no longer works and is in a constant error status. Dealer in New Jersey tried to tune the window to the alert software to no luck. THEY (of course) recommended OEM that would take 3-4 weeks for delivery.

1. Prepare for OEM if something happens to your windshield
2. Anyone have any luck with a safelife aftermarket in case of a quick need?
Old 01-15-2019, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to go too far off the rails, but I haven't had good luck with Safelite for the 2 times I've had my windshield replaced (within 4 months, mind you). The first time I went it, they didn't have the right OEM windshield and it took 3 weeks to get it in from Germany. The second time, they didn't have special adhesive, and when they finally had everything, the installer ripped my VIN sticker and left adhesive residue everywhere. HOWEVER, the OEM windshields haven't needed to be calibrated after the fact (even though they say it's necessary). Are you getting warnings like "pre-sense disabled?"
Old 01-15-2019, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Thriv, welcome to the forums. FWIW, isn't it completely unacceptable that the car no longer functions as designed? I guess I'd have a major issue with that.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't mean to be snarky, but isn't it common sense to only replace our windshields with OEM? Especially those of us with HUD, which require a different type of windshield. There's already a few threads in this forum that discussed windshield replacement, and most people had success having their insurance cover the entire cost, including camera calibration.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Correct it is a pre-sense error and it is disabled on start up. Annoying for sure.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think I misunderstood the dealer. They said they 'would have to bring someone in to do it and it would take 3 weeks' I hear why wont the dealer do it directly and go after market as a result. I get it lesson learned....
Old 01-15-2019, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Had this issue several months ago. Went through insurance, which had Safelite install aftermarket glass. Dealer couldn’t calibrate camera, so insurance had Safelite warranty their glass with OEM glass. Dealer was then able to calibrate camera and it only added two days of the car waiting at the dealership for the real deal.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had a bad chip/crack in my 2017 A4 a few months ago. The insurance company wanted me to go to Joe’s Windshield and Septic Tank Pumping. I refused and insisted on the dealer. They eventually agreed, dealer ordered the glass, and I took it in a few weeks later. Replacement looks and works perfectly including camera etc.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine replaced last May at the dealer (believe they sub out the actual labor for windshield install). As I recall it only took a day or two to get the OEM glass. Was about $2,100 total, which included $800-ish for alignment of the cameras. Fortunately I have glass replacement coverage with State Farm so no cost to me.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The windshield on my 2017 A4 was replaced with OEM glass. I do not believe there was any recalibration necessary. I have a US Premium model, so it only has pre sense city.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After Market Windshield