Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SA: DRL has a yellow tint, headlight is weak and yellow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SA: DRL has a yellow tint, headlight is weak and yellow?

Hello,

I have this weird issue on my Audi Q5 2013, the output of my headlights is weak and yellowish, DRL still bright but has two tones on the upper edge is white, the other one is yellow

worn HID? DRL? glass become bad?

Old 01-16-2019, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Did you get your car scanned? Any error codes? Fiend of mine went through a similar situation after a small parking lot crash that demanded a full headlight replacement
Old 01-16-2019, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, did that. there is no errors at all, first I though it's because the protective film so I remove it but it was the same.
the bulbs at start will look blue/white then after warm up it become yellowish and weak

Last edited by salemDE; 01-19-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm taking an educated stab in the dark here. AFAIK the DRL is an LED assembly and power controller, and the bi-xenon headlamp is an entirely separate xenon capsule and high voltage ballast. There literally should be no way to "break" them both at once, except perhaps they share a common power or ground connection. If that connection was corroded or weak, the power to both lamp assemblies would be affected. The color might change as the voltage changed, and as the lamp heated up it would put a different load on that power supply, explaining why the color shifts after they've been on for a short bit.

First step might be to start excavating, trace the lighting assemblies and their connections to the main harness, just to see if everything is clean, firm, and dry.

In theory, LED and xenon lights should give you a good ten years of average use before there is any "bulb" failure. (The LED equivalent of a bulb is an "emitter" and the xenon equivalent is a "capsule". Technically neither is a bulb, fwiw.)
Old 01-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's right, they are totally different units. that's why it's strange for me.

as for light output, DRL looks powerful enough, it's just the yellow effect halfway through like a rainbow, seen this a lot with Audis from this era 2013 in my country, lots of A6 have this yellow DRLs but as a full unit become yellow. maybe due to our hot climate ( 50c at summer )

for bi-xenon headlamp it's definitely weak and blasts a yellowish light at the road ( although the head unit looks clear ), I don't know if that's the case for all SUV but it seems it's off at sunset unless you approach a close wall or car, or you are driving in total darkness.

will have to check the harness for some time but as this effect the two of them that it's unlikely
Old 01-19-2019, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

50C temperatures will stress many things, it is possible that has damaged the harness/wire insulation, or electronic parts. Plastic lenses could also be yellowing from intense UV exposure from excess sunlight. If you keep searching around, hopefully someone will have seen this before and have some ideas for you.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to a 2017 Audi Q5 I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with xenon HID headlights and LED daytime running lights. Similar dimming/yellowish look to just the right headlight. Researched Jeep Forum pointed to a likely failing bulb. As recommended I replaced both HID bulbs (purchased through Xenon Depot) and that resolved the problem. LED daytime running lights still working as new so did not require any action.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Was there a resolution to this?
Old 03-31-2019, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately, Not yet.
I try to speak to the dealer, says for the DLRs could be electronics go bad or would have to replace the whole unit!!
as per the light output says we can test and replace one bulb and see if it can improve it

2013 Headlights assembly need to be replaced then, what an Audi
Old 04-03-2019, 02:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think the problem is the DRL unit wich has two LED's on it and one is fault, that's why only the left side of the lamp is yellowish. Unfortunatly yo can't change only the LED's, you need to replace the whole unit. The part number is: 8R0941476B or A (left/right)

Quick Reply: SA: DRL has a yellow tint, headlight is weak and yellow?