A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Final Score Deer: 1 2017 A4: 0

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Final Score Deer: 1 2017 A4: 0

Deer jumped directly in front of me on way home from work. None of the electronics even had time to notice/react. Only had a 0.5 second, so I was gonna hit it anyway. I got an instant of brake and just a touch of steering avoidance.
No injury to me, was doing about 30-35 at the time, not counting whatever I was able to brake down.

After impact, I was able to make an immediate right into a development (which is where the deer was going). Good thing, since the quarter panel front was crumpled into wheel well and straight/left turns were rubbing/no clearance.

Deer hit at drivers front/drivers side front quarter panel. Cracked headlamp lens, front bumper damaged, some quarter panel crumpled into drivers side wheel well. It was hard to see if hood took anything (it was dark and car is black). Looked more like deer impact went side/down, probably due to the angled front side, and a few hundred milliseconds of me steering to right to avoid it. No noticeable fluid leaks and engine continued to run.

Electronics did react after that, automatically dialing Audi Roadside assistance, transmitting my VIN, and connecting me to CSR.

Had to tow it though. I'm praying its not totaled, but given the electronics jammed into the front end, I think that's definitely possibility.

Last edited by John Kane; 01-17-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by John Kane
Deer jumped directly in front of me on way home from work. None of the electronics even had time to notice/react. Only had a 0.5 second, so I was gonna hit it anyway. I got an instant of brake and just a touch of steering avoidance.
No injury to me, was doing about 30-35 at the time, not counting whatever I was able to brake down.

After impact, I was able to make an immediate right into a development (which is where the deer was going). Good thing, since the quarter panel front was crumpled into wheel well and straight/left turns were rubbing/no clearance.

Deer hit at drivers front/drivers side front quarter panel. Cracked headlamp lens, front bumper damaged, some quarter panel crumpled into drivers side wheel well. It was hard to see if hood took anything (it was dark and car is black). Looked more like deer impact went side/down, probably due to the angled front side, and a few hundred milliseconds of me steering to right to avoid it. No noticeable fluid leaks and engine continued to run.

Electronics did react after that, automatically dialing Audi Roadside assistance, transmitting my VIN, and connecting me to CSR.

Had to tow it though. I'm praying its not totaled, but given the electronics jammed into the front end, I think that's definitely possibility.
Sorry to hear but thank God you're ok.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Been there, done that back in October, when my car had under 1500 miles.
Pre-Sense kicked in but couldn’t avoid the impact and the deer rolled up onto the windshield. It was a low-speed impact to the front left, but the damage was still $10k, 1/4 of which was the headlight assembly.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:08 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow scary, glad you're ok..
Old 01-17-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry that happened to you. Horrible but glad you’re OK. Hope the car fix goes well.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the well wishes, much appreciated. Big picture, car design handled the impact well and this driver is undamaged, most important.

Had initial inspection in daylight, Collision shop doesn't think its a total.. but wont know until early next week.. and the sticker shock of parts list.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Had initial inspection in daylight, Collision shop doesn't think its a total.. but wont know until early next week.. and the sticker shock of parts list.
One thing to watch out for if they do end up going ahead with the repair:

The hood.
In my case, the shop kept receiving damaged hoods from Audi due to the way they are packaged. After going through 4 separate replacements and wasting almost a month, they finally chose to repair the least damaged one and get the car back on the road.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:33 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm not sure I agree with the gloomy title - at the end of the day, you weren't hurt, the safety systems in the car fulfilled their role, and if the car is totalled, that's what insurance is for...
Old 01-17-2019, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Of course, no injury to this driver is the most important.

I'll still submit that the Deer won the contest per my title. The big Doe hobbled off after a brief time down in the ground. The Audi did not. As for 'thats what insurance is for': well, the totaled value means you cant replace with new A4 without significant loss: a few years of deprecation plus market loss. Trying to find a used A4 of similar ilk (2017 premium plus with sports package) and real low miles will be daunting. I only have 15k babied miles on it.

Shop doesn't think it will be a total, but they haven't opened it up or costed all the parts yet. And I heard that before with my 2014. In the end.. it was totaled. I replaced with new 2017, financed the difference from price and settlement from total. Just a few of those payments remain on this one.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Glad you are OK. Those pesky deer. One almost took me out this fall -- I was on my racing bicycle. It was a very close call. The deer would have won that one for sure and I'm sure parts (of me) would have been broken.

When I cut the deal for my wife's /18 A4 Quattro the saleslady suggested I consider leasing it instead of doing my usual buy and hold. I've had some issues with my /15 A6 (still under warranty) that make me wonder whether it is wise to keep it for the long term. As I was sitting at the dealer thinking over the lease/buy conundrum the saleslady mentioned that if the car were totaled I would just walk away and be done. She also mentioned that even if not a total loss I would not take the hit on resale as a consequence of a Carfax disclosing an accident. The foregoing coupled with my lack of enthusiasm to own two German cars past warranty expiration led me to lease.

I'm not setting forth the above to in any manner diminish or criticize John's choice to own vs. lease his A4 (ownership obviously has the benefit of building equity/paying it off and then driving for a number of years w/o payments which is what I typically do). I only mention this because it is something to think about when deciding whether to buy or lease.

John, I hope this works out for you and you don't take a financial hit. Hopefully (i) not a total, (ii) car gets fixed properly and (iii) you hang onto the car for a sufficiently long period of time that any reduced resale as a consequence of the accident is minimal.

Best,
Jeff

Quick Reply: Final Score Deer: 1 2017 A4: 0