Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Wireless Charger Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless Charger Not Working

I have a 2019 S5. I am new to the forum. When I place my iPhone 8 on the wireless charger it recognizes it and starts charging but within seconds I get an error on the MMI screen telling me the phone stopped charging due to another item being on the charger... I went to my Audi dealer today to pick up my plates and had them look at it and all they could tell me is it works fine with older iPhones and Androids, but there may be a problem with the iPhone 8 and X. One guy tried their iPhone X and had same problem. Another used their Samsung 9s and it had no issues. Does anyone have a solve for this?
Old 01-19-2019, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by YanniGee
I have a 2019 S5. I am new to the forum. When I place my iPhone 8 on the wireless charger it recognizes it and starts charging but within seconds I get an error on the MMI screen telling me the phone stopped charging due to another item being on the charger... I went to my Audi dealer today to pick up my plates and had them look at it and all they could tell me is it works fine with older iPhones and Androids, but there may be a problem with the iPhone 8 and X. One guy tried their iPhone X and had same problem. Another used their Samsung 9s and it had no issues. Does anyone have a solve for this?
Is the software on your iphone updated to the latest version 12.1.2?
Old 01-20-2019, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, I have the latest IOS 12.1.2...
Old 01-20-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Try another iphone8

Originally Posted by YanniGee

or find what what else is on the charging station.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, I completely cleared the storage area when we tested with the other iPhone and Samsung.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

The placement of the phone on the charging area is very important. The wireless charging coils must be oriented directly above each other. So the coil is most likely in the center of the phone. This must be placed directly in the center of the console wireless charging coil. If it's 3/8 " of an inch off center it will not charge. The coil in the car will be energized looking for a recognition signal from the phone. If this handshake is not completed then the wireless charger will turn off to avoid overheating. Hope this helps. Try not to use cases either.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have a case on your phone? Depending on the thickness of the case this can also cause an issue.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you I will try this without the case. I have tried with and without, but I have not focused on the exact placement of the phone. I have an INCIPIO case and it is supposed to work with wireless charging...
Old 09-03-2021, 12:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hei

Anyone resolve this problem?
Old 09-29-2022, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default IPhone 11 stops charing after few seconds

yes i have the same issue with my a4 2017 and iphone 11, it just stops charging after a few seconds

Quick Reply: Wireless Charger Not Working