Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 v. X7

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Q7 v. X7

So I've seen a number of videos about the new BMW X7. I've never owned a BMW and I've heard a range of opinions about them (lots of negative comments about reliability). I keep hearing people compare the X7 to the Q7. Is that the right comparison? It seems as though the X7 is at a higher level, so to speak. It's too bad Audi doesn't offer a larger 3 row SUV that could compete. My wife needs new wheels and while my 4 kids can fit in my Q7, I'm not sure for how much longer.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The X7 is closer to a Merc GLS in size and pricing. Have you considered the Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator?
Old 01-20-2019, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hkn125
The X7 is closer to a Merc GLS in size and pricing. Have you considered the Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator?
I will never buy a Ford again after the trauma I went through years ago. I don’t care if that’s irrational; Ford is a no go for me.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

I really liked BMW's when I was younger but have seen too many with reliability issues. Probably I wouldn't buy any unless there is substantial improvement in their reliability.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by billsfan

I will never buy a Ford again after the trauma I went through years ago. I don’t care if that’s irrational; Ford is a no go for me.
Clearly we can't change your mind, but it's really unfair to think that a brand can't improve....and also get worse. It's likely a Lincoln Navigator will have better reliability than the new X7 if current trends continue.

The BMW X7 isn't meant to be seen as a competitor to the Q7....it's sized larger with a way bigger price tag.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Clearly we can't change your mind, but it's really unfair to think that a brand can't improve....and also get worse. It's likely a Lincoln Navigator will have better reliability than the new X7 if current trends continue.

The BMW X7 isn't meant to be seen as a competitor to the Q7....it's sized larger with a way bigger price tag.

Doesn’t the Naviagtor have poor reliability? I pretty sure I’ve read that many times over.

So, it sounds as though Audi has no competitor for the X7 or GLS. Wonder why.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So the new Navigator doesn't really have an ounce of similarity to the old, along with it's reliability, so don't confuse new generation with old.

Why doesn't Audi have a competitor to the X7? Well.....the GLS was the ONLY vehicle that even existed in this segment for years. As SUVs have grown in popularity others have tried to join the party. If you can sell and Lambo and RR SUV, BMW probably can too.

Of course the real questions is why hasn't BMW EVER had a 3 row vehicle in the same size as the Q7/XC90/MDX.... Not every brand always competes in the same space with an identical product. It's quite logical really.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

So the new Navigator doesn't really have an ounce of similarity to the old, along with it's reliability, so don't confuse new generation with old.

Why doesn't Audi have a competitor to the X7? Well.....the GLS was the ONLY vehicle that even existed in this segment for years. As SUVs have grown in popularity others have tried to join the party. If you can sell and Lambo and RR SUV, BMW probably can too.

Of course the real questions is why hasn't BMW EVER had a 3 row vehicle in the same size as the Q7/XC90/MDX.... Not every brand always competes in the same space with an identical product. It's quite logical really.
actually the X5 with third row is dimensionally very close to the xc90 and q7 - we used to own one

the interior space design on the xc90 is larger due to the use of a 4 cylinder engine whereas the bmw needs to accommodate up to an 8 cylinder engine

x5 always outsold the xc90 and is not often cross shopped with mdx as the Acura is much cheaper

if you want a large three row suv then the vw group already sells one - it’s called the vw atlas

Old 01-20-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't care what the dimensions say....the X5 with the 3rd row is ridiculously packaged and doesn't even come close to offering what competitors have. Very, very few X5s have the 3rd row option, because they were emergency jump seats.

Yes, when it comes to 3 row SUVs very few brands off identical offerings in every segment size. That's why the comment of wondering why Audi doesn't offer a $100,000 3rd row SUV seems a rather silly comment.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Q7 actually is only a couple inches shorter than GLS or X7. The curve roof line make the trunk space smaller.
I don't care what the dimensions say....the X5 with the 3rd row is ridiculously packaged and doesn't even come close to offering what competitors have. Very, very few X5s have the 3rd row option, because they were emergency jump seats.

Yes, when it comes to 3 row SUVs very few brands off identical offerings in every segment size. That's why the comment of wondering why Audi doesn't offer a $100,000 3rd row SUV seems a rather silly comment.

Quick Reply: Q7 v. X7