Remote Start 2018 S5 SB

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start 2018 S5 SB

I received and installed my remote start kit from 12Volt.Solutions yesterday, 2/13/19. Installation went relatively smooth. There are no instructions included in the kit ,but there is a vid on youtube with rudimentary installation tips. There are instructions on how to program the remote start included but they aren't great. I muddled through the programming and got it working. The whole process took about 30 minutes and it works! The process is slightly clunky getting it to work but not bad. Pressing the lock button on the remote triggers the car to start. Its a bit finicky but does start and there is a several second delay before it starts making you think its not working.
This morning i used it ,and the car was toasty warm when I got in to leave for work. Keyless entry doesn't work while the remote start is engaged and the range could be longer but overall I'm satisfied. 12Volt.Solutions does offer a long range device but it doesn't use the factory key fob.

My car is a 2018 Audi S5 Sportback.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm looking to add one myself. I just picked up a 2019 S5 SB. I'm sure they'll have a version for my year soon enough.

I just watched the youtube video - that wasn't bad at all. It probably got tight with the new harnesses when you buttoned everything back up.

What's do you the range is?
Old 02-15-2019, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Steve Goluchowski
I'm looking to add one myself. I just picked up a 2019 S5 SB. I'm sure they'll have a version for my year soon enough.

I just watched the youtube video - that wasn't bad at all. It probably got tight with the new harnesses when you buttoned everything back up.

What's do you the range is?
Hi Steve
The vid is slightly misleading. The vid is done on 2018 SQ5 BCM which looks slightly different. The 10mm bolt is the same but the clips which hold the BCM in are a bit frustrating to unfasten. There is also a third component which is included in the kit but not shown on the vid, but is mentioned in the vid. It requires 4 wires be plugged in but they only fit in one way but it requires the "data-link" wire be plugged in first which is not immediately obvious.I believe the black wire was the data-link. Overall its relatively easy to install if you have a modest amount of DIY in you. A bit tight to put back together but not bad.

Range is the same as your factory key fob. It is at least 30 feet for me with line of site but more wonky if going through walls.

I'm very happy with it. The car interior warms up well. I've read others fearing the care won't warm up fast enough at idle but that's not been the case with me at least when the temp is in the low 40's F. At temps below freezing I have no idea how well it will work.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You didn’t come across any other remote start plug and play product when researching this, did you? Like from Viper or Compustar...
Old 02-15-2019, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not that I investigated. I came across Compustar, but it seemed like an installer like Best Buy had to do the work .They did not use the factory key fob either. I did not check if they had a kit for an Audi SB.
I was reluctant to us 12Volt.Solutions until I accidentally across the install vid.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I reached out to the company to see when the starter for the 2019 might be out. They list some other models as available for 2019 only.

i couldn’t find an alternative either. 12volt does look like they stand behind their product and the install doesn’t look to void the warranty. I’ll do it when it’s available along with the long range remote.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd be curious to hear how well the long range remote works. I want to keep my original key fob, so I may try the app.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I pried off the part that holds the blue, white, black and green wires and there is the bcm underneath.

I contacted 12volt and they said the 2018 module will work. Is this what yours looks like, circled in red?
Where are the screws for the bcm cover?
Did you have to detach the wires or did you have enough room to work with them just out of the way?

Thanks in advance for answering the questions. I'll be ordering today. I'm also going to do the app, not the long range remote.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Steve
Sorry the pic didn't post for me, but I only needed to remove one 10 mm bolt to loosen the BCM as seen in the 12Volt vid. Once remove the BCM is still attached by two plastic tabs which are easily found once the nut is removed. They require a bit of manipulating to detach because it's not obvious as how they work. Once detached the BCM easily flips over exposing the wire connectors. The harness from 12volt corresponds with the BCM connectors and is intuitive to install. The space to work is slightly cramped but no additional wires need removal or manipulation. I suspect that the extra blue wire on the 12volt harness is to plug into the app module.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm glad to help if I can.

I'm curious to know how the app works. I'm considering getting it, but I'm a bit bugged having to pay 30$ a year after the first year for the app.

For others viewing this post the app is not required to use the remote start but adds additional range for the remote through a mobile phone app.

Bob

Last edited by audiguy18; 02-19-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the photo Bob. Strange, I can see *my* photo on a computer but not on my phone.

My setup basically looks like yours but I have a "cage" above the BCM that must house something related to the prestige package that I have. Maybe it's HUD or lane keep or ??? That device has a bunch of wires going to the front of the car.

That "cage" is clipped in in the front with tabs in the back and swings enough out of the way - I tried this morning - that I should be able to get to that 10mm nut you pointed out.

I'll do my install this weekend and give you an update. 12volt said I could submit a video so I'll probably do that to give them another source to use for their installs on youtube.

Quick Reply: Remote Start 2018 S5 SB