A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

fuel injection and intake manifold cleaning at 20K?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injection and intake manifold cleaning at 20K?

so I was at the dealership the other day for the 20K oil change for my '17 A4 quattro and of course they were recommending a fuel injectors and intake manifold cleaning service to the tune of almost $ 500, which I declined. I mean, after only 20K miles?? I thought I was being upsold. Does anybody recommend doing it this soon? I only use toptier gasoline.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by avic62
so I was at the dealership the other day for the 20K oil change for my '17 A4 quattro and of course they were recommending a fuel injectors and intake manifold cleaning service to the tune of almost $ 500, which I declined. I mean, after only 20K miles?? I thought I was being upsold. Does anybody recommend doing it this soon? I only use toptier gasoline.
Apparently this has been popping up a lot recently as new products offered by dealerships. They try to offer them at any service interval. Its just an additional money maker for the dealership, nothing necessary on behalf of the consumer.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Below is a long thread discussed about it. Seems like just dumping a can or two of VW/Audi concentrated detergent into the Gas Tank.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...eaned-2965320/
Old 02-19-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't have first hand experience. Just did quick search. Apparently, there is a complete BG GDI Fuel/Air Induction Service in almost all dealers through all major car brands. The complete service composed of three steps. 1, BG Air Intake System cleaning by directly spray the cleaner into the air intake and onto throttle body; 2, BG Fuel Injection System Cleaning by injecting the cleaner via fuel rail pressure test port; 3, dump a can of BG44 into the gas tank. Looks Audi dealer is only doing the #2 and #3 as we haven't heard the Air Intake System Cleaning service yet. I think Air Intake service is probably the more needed one. I would take that service instead of fuel injector cleaning service.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Nice to see the dealers are taking such good care of us. LOL.

Personally, while my car is under 4 year/50K warranty (which in my case will be always since I leased it for 3 years/45K) I will use only top tier gasoline as recommended (and be in a position to prove same with a large envelope full of Costco gas receipts) and maintain it per Audi MY 2018 maintenance schedule (but change oil every 5K and change air filter halfway through lease period just because I don't agree with certain of Audi's extended intervals). This should give the service advisor a warm fuzzy feeling that car has been well loved/maintained and if any funny idle issues, etc. those will be on Audi to resolve under warranty. Just my two cents.

Really, if periodic BG or similar treatments are needed in new/modern cars before reaching 50K miles IMHO this does not represent progress.

Best,
Jeff
Old 02-19-2019, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Default DI ins and outs...

This is one of my favorite car reviewers dropping a lot of knowledge on the benefits and drawbacks of direct injection. The biggest Achilles heel is the loss of cleaning functions provided by fuel in the intake side of the engine. The OEMs are trying different things to solve the issues like extra injectors outside the combustion chamber but I'm not sure if there is a consensus on the best way forward...

enjoy!
https://youtu.be/xrLNDgrIw3U
Old 02-20-2019, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

With respect to the DI carbon "coking" problem there have been a few posts on AW from owners who have opened up the top of their engines and the looks of things before the carbon cleaning was done is very disturbing to say the least. Whether the OEMs were pushed to DI via more stringent fuel economy standards or the quest for more power, etc. I'm not sure but one thing is sure -- if you have to have this job done the cost isn't in the hundreds -- starts around $1,000 and goes up from there. Another reason why my A6 3.0T (which I own) will disappear no later than 6 years/65,000 miles and as for our /18 A4 Quattro it is leased so no worries there. Don't get me wrong, love the new cars just seems some things are two steps forward but one step back.

Best,
Jeff