A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Best Tires for Daily Use

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Tires for Daily Use

Hello Audi brethren! I have recently purchased a 2009 Audi S6 which came with the OEM 5-spoke wheels. The wheels are pretty torn up with curb rash, a few chips, and overall grimeyness that I can't seem to remove even after using some "questionable" chemicals (don't worry, wheels were removed from the car before their chemical bath). I've decided to purchase some new wheels and picked them up yesterday. They are the 19" peelers from a 2014 S4.

I am getting them powder coated a glossy black and I'd like to get some new tires for them as the ones that came on my car are absolutely awful. They're incredibly loud (louder than the exhaust) and handle like absolute buns. I *think* I've got tires narrowed down to 3 different ones and I'd like to get all of your opinions on them, what tires you're currently running, and if you like them/would recommend them. The car is my daily driver so I need something all-season that is comfortable but also can handle some turns. The tires I'm considering are Goodyear Eagle F1's, Pirelli P Zero Plus's, or Michelin Sport Cup 3's. If you have or are currently running any of the aforementioned tires let me know your thoughts on them, please! I did do a forum search for tire threads but couldn't find anything very recent, so I'd love to get some updated impressions.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Magellster, welcome aboard! What is the minimum acceptable tire life you would consider. Do you experience winter where you will be driving this car?
Old 02-20-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey uberwgn, thank for the kind welcome! Minimum acceptable tire life would be 30k miles but preferably around 40-45k. I live in NC so we get winter weather once a year so don't factor winter weather performance/ability into your recommendation. However, we do get some colder temperatures several weeks around or below freezing so they can't be summer tires.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Have Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 on my son's A3 in NC and, he found them to handle great - did a lot of traveling as auditor to nearby states. I have them on my A6 and found them to be handle well.

But, my experience and that of others is anecdotal. Would strongly encourage you to consider Tire Rack tests and surveys (extensive collection others' experiences) and, Consumer Reports, which performs test on many more tire models than does Tire Rack. Neither Tire Rack or Consumer Reports are gospel, but provide objective data on which you could rely when making a decision.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OK, thanks for clarifying. I think you've got to add tires like the Continental DWS06 and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 to your list of contenders. Have you check the UTOQ values on the tires you've mentioned?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
OK, thanks for clarifying. I think you've got to add tires like the Continental DWS06 and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 to your list of contenders. Have you check the UTOQ values on the tires you've mentioned?
+2 ... the A/S 3 was the other tire considered before purchasing the DWS 06, but had good experience with DWS in past so went with it. In NC, the A/S 3 may be a better choice
Old 02-20-2019, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, I'd pick the Continental if I were more concerned about bad weather. Ignoring bad weather, I'd fit the Michelin any day of the week and know I'd be thrilled with it.

Magellster, I hope your tire mileage expectations can be met on an Audi S6. I hope you do a lot of highway straight line cruising during your commute. And follow AMDG's suggestion to go to Tire Rack and read up on each tire you are considering. It's always interesting to hear owners' views/concerns/likes. (You can filter down by car model when there are loads of reviews.)
Old 02-20-2019, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Good advice!
Old 02-22-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Continental DWS06, I can't really give a comparison against other tyres as I have only ever used these on my A6. However I did find particularily noteworthy their performance in wet conditions. I noticed they seem to literally "throw" the water underneath them out to the side of the car. I've driven many other cars in bad weather and usually you can sense and even hear that the water is being kicked up against the bottom of the car, but with these DWS06 the water actually appears to be thrown sideways out and away from the car as you drive along. Not sure if anyone else noticed this...

Also I recently tested them in some heavy snow we got. It took a lot of aggressive prodding on the throttle to get them to break loose enough for that little traction light to start blinking. So in terms of snow they are very reassuring.

I think you might have to be really pushing it to see any benefits of a high performance summer tyre compared to the DWS06 in dry conditions.

So - in conclusion - anecdotally at least - they seem really good to me!

Last edited by JamesAudiA6007; 02-22-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll reinforce the DWS-06 recommendations.
I've been running them on my '06 A6 quattro for 2 winters now. I have nothing but good things to say about their year round performance!
They really sharpened up the handling on my A6 & are, as stated earlier, exceptional in the rain. Snow performance is good too. & they seem to wear very well too.
So, I'd buy another set, when it's time.....

Quick Reply: Best Tires for Daily Use