Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

When it comes to touchscreen, Mazda gets it!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 09:19 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts
Default When it comes to touchscreen, Mazda gets it!

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...m-its-vehicles

Old 02-21-2019, 09:24 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Totally agree with Mazda! IMHO - Touchscreens Have too many icons and when you go to use them, it takes too much time looking at the screen and pulling your attention away from what you are doing: piloting a 1 to 2 ton missile amongst hundreds of similar missiles on the road.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Yeah, I would rather have real button for as many of the common tasks / controls and the ability the control the MMI with a physical wheel or what not but still have touchscreen access for secondary input.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I don't see is a Mazda HUD, that would seal the deal in a huge way IMO.

This will be my last Audi if they continue down the input screen biased path.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

I would take the controller based MMI in the B9 vs. the new dual touch screen set up any day!
Old 02-21-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
I would take the controller based MMI in the B9 vs. the new dual touch screen set up any day!
I second this! rotary dials and buttons that fall eriogonically at your hands reach are preferred...at least by me. Besides, I enjoy the tactile feel of a smoothly operating high quality mechanism...which the Audi has in spades (MMI, volume control, HVAC, etc.).

Yes, Apple CarPlay is better served with a touch screen, but it is not THAT much better then just using the dial. I'd rather keep my eyes on the road, let my fingers do the "walking", and avoid the unsightly fingerprints on the screen.

I have an 2018 RS5 Coupe. If Audi moves to a complete touchscreen setup (i.e. A8), then it will be the last Audi I own.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely this. It's one of the reasons i chose to go with an audi. Good interface thats easy and intuitive to navigate without any touch screens and digging through 3 menus just to get to basic settings. Sadly i feel it's just a matter of time before the dual touch screens trickle down.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Audi sent out a survey a few weeks ago for S / RS owners and one of the questions on the survey was how do you prefer to control the MMI / Nav. The options were touch only, buttons / **** only, a hybrid of both or no preference. So it sounds like they might be getting some negative feedback from customers on the new interface if they are asking for more feedback in their survey.

I think they were only going to accept answer until the 14th but the survey is still active.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/rhombusUS
Old 02-21-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

I agree, as much as the A7 setup looks nice in a showroom, I'm really glad the S5 has the rotary non-touch setup. But unlike the reason cited in the article, my top reason is that if you don't touch it, you don't get fingerprints on it. The all-touch displays are huge fingerprint magnets. Also the S5's "old style" display is higher up so you can keep your eyes on the road more.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
Audi sent out a survey a few weeks ago for S / RS owners and one of the questions on the survey was how do you prefer to control the MMI / Nav. The options were touch only, buttons / **** only, a hybrid of both or no preference. So it sounds like they might be getting some negative feedback from customers on the new interface if they are asking for more feedback in their survey.

I think they were only going to accept answer until the 14th but the survey is still active.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/rhombusUS
Cool stuff. I took the survey anyway just in case they are still reviewing them. I think I'm in the minority in this thread but I prefer a combination of touchscreen and ****. For certain tasks a touchscreen is just a lot faster. For other things I don't mind buttons and ****. I think ideally the car should have both so if someone doesn't want to use the touchscreen they don't have to.

Quick Reply: When it comes to touchscreen, Mazda gets it!