A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

What does YOUR mpg look like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What does YOUR mpg look like?

Thought it would be interesting to see what your MPG is averaging out to be so far on your B9 A4, and any tips for increasing MPG.

Mine so far:
City: around 18MPG (I tend to only drive my car in morning during rush hour in my busy town, lots of traffic)
Highway: Around 26 (especially if using adaptive cruise control, seems to drive it a lot smarter than i would at the petal)

Also, does anyone know if the start-stop saved fuel usage gets factored in the MPG?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

My commute to work is 13 miles and 10 of it is highway. In the winter time, my driving speed hasn’t changed - around 80. And I average about 26. Never use cruise control and the car is always in Dynamic - 6 speed manual.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Attached is the statistics from Fuely about my cars fillups. As you can see, my average is 25.813 over the course of 2 and half years. Lowest was 20.856 and highest was 34.910. I used to drive across the state(NJ) on 195 from beginning to end(about an hour) for my previous job. Speed limit is 65 and Id set my cruise for 71 and just sit back. Thats how I scored such high tank averages. A couple times I would hit 38mpg on a trip to the shore. Oddly enough, I could never get that high on the way back. Wondering if there was an elevation change at some point where coming home was going up and going there was down.

Anyway, for tips to get better gas mileage; obviously dont put your foot down all the time, or at all I guess. Cruise whenever you can, and behind someone(if you want to get crafty). Make sure your tires are always properly inflated. I cant say that I ever saw any MPG increase from start-stop, but its good for the environment and if thats the only little thing I can do, I might as well. Also, a clean car cheats the wind better.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in NYC, lots of short city trips averaging around 14 MPG, mixed around 19 and highway(light traffic) 24 MPG. Road trip to Canada averaged 32 MPG!
Old 02-22-2019, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Here in suburban Detroit. A few trips to Toronto and back and a few within MI all highway -- anywhere between 32 and 36 mpg at speeds between 65 and 75. In city anywhere between 22.5 and 26 depending on traffic (the good thing about suburban Detroit is traffic is nothing like Toronto gridlock thus fuel mileage is decent).

I have a very light foot and am not in the boost very much. Wife has heavier foot and I've been pleasantly surprised when I've taken the car to fill it up for her that her mileage is not all that much less than mine.

FWIW, the computer in the car is very accurate as regards average mpg and thus far it has never been optimistic and frequently actual mileage calculated the old fashioned way exceeds the computer readout by one half to one mpg. Very pleased with the mileage we are getting with the A4.

Best,
Jeff
Old 02-22-2019, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

My mileage from new (now 20k miles) is 30.5 mpg. 32.5 average in the summer and 28.5 average in the winter as calculated. I also notice that the car computer is pretty accurate.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I average around 31-33mpg on my 20-mile commute that is a mix of highway and city. On the days I drive like a maniac it can dip to 25 or below... Gentle inputs and leaving sufficient space really go a long way when it comes to efficiency.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2.5 year old A4 and I dont use dynamic mode and use cruise control at every opportunity. My average during summers have been 36-38mpg while during winters it drops to 30-32mpg. During Winters I have electric pole heating the engine oil so it doesnt freeze, at work there is a warm garage. BTW I drive an Avant :-)
Old 02-23-2019, 03:55 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
(the good thing about suburban Detroit is traffic is nothing like Toronto gridlock thus fuel mileage is decent).
And meanwhile in Toronto gridlock I have taken trips where the computer said upwards of 30L/100km... that's under 8MPG!

What I've learned about this car is that fuel economy is all, all, all about average speed. If average speed is under <15km/h, then... ouch, ouch, ouch. Once average speed goes above maybe... 35-40km/h, then fuel consumption becomes in the single digits (i.e. less than 10L/100km or more than 28MPG). And it just improves beyond that... although I presume there's a point where too much speed would cause fuel consumption to go up again, but I don't think that's likely to happen given traffic and laws here.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My commute is 23 miles to Boston, mix of highway and city. Lifetime mpg at 10k mi is 29.8 mpg. A trip to ME last summer saw 38 and a trip to NU last month saw 35. The latter on 225/50/17 snows rather than the 245/40/18s. Makes no difference what mode drive select is in as I have a 6 spd and always get to choose my shift points. I keep it light when I can, though never. Lugging, and not afraid to let loose the horses when conditions permit. I concur that pure city driving really sucks down the gas, but highway is pretty good.

Jon

Quick Reply: What does YOUR mpg look like?