Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

GPS in S5

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS in S5

Greetings,

Purchased a 2019 S5 and have about 2k miles on it. One small gripe - the GPS will switch back to a normal view every couple days and I'm forced to switch my settings back to the satellite view. Any one know why?
Old 02-22-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mobu4393
Greetings,

Purchased a 2019 S5 and have about 2k miles on it. One small gripe - the GPS will switch back to a normal view every couple days and I'm forced to switch my settings back to the satellite view. Any one know why?
I have this exact same issue in my RS5 SB. I'll be following this thread closely.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Isn't Google Earth supposed to be going away anyways?
Old 02-22-2019, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Me too. I saw somewhere that it might be connected (hah!) to how well or even whether the car can connect through the AT&T link when you start up. Where I live, AT&T coverage is spotty, but that wouldn't explain the failure to initialize the satellite view when I start up at my work lot, which has great AT&T coverage. Another mystery.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheWombat
Me too. I saw somewhere that it might be connected (hah!) to how well or even whether the car can connect through the AT&T link when you start up. Where I live, AT&T coverage is spotty, but that wouldn't explain the failure to initialize the satellite view when I start up at my work lot, which has great AT&T coverage. Another mystery.
The coverage definitely determines rather it will show the satellite imagery or not. I've been set to "Satellite" and it not show the satellite imagery due to the connection. This makes sense. What happens though is it defaults back to the regular maps view and you have to switch it back to the "Satellite" view. This is what doesn't make sense and what I believe the OP is referring to.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slides
Isn't the Earth going to end one day?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

ya
Originally Posted by evanseric21
Isn't the Earth going to end one day?
I guess this depends on your religious, secular or scientific beliefs.

Yes - December 2020. I’ve seen threads saying people are “proactively” being converted to Google Map Sattelite views, but I haven’t quite understood or followed along. It seemed this was with our friends in Australia.

Originally Posted by mobu4393
Greetings,

Same here, but it hasn’t done it in a few months. It is on my list of items to tell my SA about whenever I take my car in for it’s 6k mike free tire rotation.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, mine reverts to non-satellite imagery as well. The ending of Google Earth only applies to 2018 and earlier models as I understand it. 2019 and up will still get it, due apparently to the revised firmware or software in the MMi.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yep, Google services as a whole are going away. All current models, other than the all-new A6.7,8 and Q8 are gonna lose at least Google Earth. No confirmation about the other online services, but the new touchscreen MMI in the A6,7,8 and Q8 are now using HERE services. The upcomming Q7 facelift will get the new touch system as well, and I'm assuming the B9.5 will get it as well. The current tech is end of life.

https://www.here.com/en/company/stra...s/audi/IVIdemo

Last edited by superswiss; 02-22-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Frankly won't miss much. It was mostly gimmicky. I hope they work towards Augmented Reality. That should be more useful.

Quick Reply: GPS in S5