A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy

Hello Everyone!

First thank you all for (hopefully) helping out a newbie. I am looking at my first Audi, and I have found what I believe is a gem, a 92k mile one owner 2011 A8L 4.2. I have a few questions though

The car has a full (or nearly full) service record reported to Carfax. The following Items have been replaced/repaired (in addition to regular oil changes, alignments, passed emissions etc)
5,000 service (6800 miles)
Alternator Replaced (36000 miles)
Sensor Replaced (no specifics) Interior trim replaced, sunvisors replaced (48,000 miles)
Body Electrical Wiring repaired (no specifics) Rear Brake Rotors (57000 miles)
Oxygen Sensor replaced (68000 miles)
Water Pump, Camshft Position Sensor adjusted, Engine/Powertrain computer module replaced (71,000 mile)
Rear pads and rotors (84000 miles)
Front pads and rotors (89000 miles)
Timing (Serpentine bet) Done by the Lexus dealer where the car is for sale currently

Front brakepads currently have 10MM, Rears have 9MM Tires (installed by Audi at 91000 Miles) have 8/32nd

I drove the car today, puts a HUGE smile on my face, love it!! runs smooth and straight, interior is in excellent condition (and everything works as far as I can tell)

So boils down to this. would you buy this car for $21,000? I am only concerned because there are some weird things in the service history like the Engine computer being replaced, and I have no clue if they will need to be replaced again?? That being said, the car seems extremely well taken care of.

Are there any major things that are apt to go wrong at the 90-110K mile mark that haven't been taken care of yet that I should be aware of? I know about the issues that some MMI have with the track failing, so far so good, no sounds that I noticed. Anythgi else I shoudl test or look at more in depth? My goal would be to hold onto the car for 60K+ miles, about 3.5 years, longer if it is still going strong and holding up well

Bose sound system, massaging front sears, skibag pass through, not sure what other features caught my eye as "upgrades"

Thank you again for any advice or thoughts you might have! I am hoping I found a real winner here!

Marc

Old 02-23-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...tates-2950071/

Follow link above. I had some small issues with my 4.2. Nothing major in my opinion. Plus if the car was taken car of engine will look just like mine inside. It is a fun to drive.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

The 4.2 is pretty much bullet proof until it reaches the 130k mile mark
Old 02-23-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
The 4.2 is pretty much bullet proof until it reaches the 130k mile mark
Well don't keep me in suspense see... What happens at the 130k mark? Everything falls apart and goes to hell? Or a survivable level of maintenance?
Old 02-23-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Many of the plastic pieces get brittle and fall apart. It is not pretty. Better off selling the car before it starts. It was cheaper for me to buy a brand new car for cash than it was to continue to pay to try and keep the 4.2 on the road. With that said, I loved that engine before 130k miles
Old 02-24-2019, 08:48 AM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

Assuming this is the car in question...https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2909/overview/. Also see:https://www.audiworld.com/forums/vin...RVAFD0BN013696

I can't speak to the 4.2 engine but did recently purchase my first Audi ('15 A8 L). After 5 months in I'm very happy with my decision. Some options you may want to consider holding out for IMHO are:

360 Camera/parking assist - Didn't see a front camera in the grill so can't confirm this car has it. The A8 L is a monster car to park and I find this option extremely helpful, especially if you want to sung up to walls or curbs to mitigate door dings
Heated Steering Wheel - This was the first car I've had with this feature and can't imagine living without it now
Panoramic Moonroof - Not a must have but one of the things I wish mine had
Automatic Cruise Control - Also hard to confirm based on VIN or listing but also one of my favorite features of my D4

A quick KKB use car value gut-check puts the 21K about 2K higher FWIW.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by virtualrc
Assuming this is the car in question...https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2909/overview/. Also see:https://www.audiworld.com/forums/vin...RVAFD0BN013696

I can't speak to the 4.2 engine but did recently purchase my first Audi ('15 A8 L). After 5 months in I'm very happy with my decision. Some options you may want to consider holding out for IMHO are:

360 Camera/parking assist - Didn't see a front camera in the grill so can't confirm this car has it. The A8 L is a monster car to park and I find this option extremely helpful, especially if you want to sung up to walls or curbs to mitigate door dings
Heated Steering Wheel - This was the first car I've had with this feature and can't imagine living without it now
Panoramic Moonroof - Not a must have but one of the things I wish mine had
Automatic Cruise Control - Also hard to confirm based on VIN or listing but also one of my favorite features of my D4

A quick KKB use car value gut-check puts the 21K about 2K higher FWIW.
That is the car, well detected :-)
Old 02-28-2019, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Want headaches, then buy. I won't ever buy another Audi myself, and I come from a long line of them. Great looking and driving vehicles when they are up to snuff, but they don't last the test of time or stay up to snuff for any length of time. I know, I have two of the headaches in the garage right now. NEVER EVER AGAIN! I'm done with them.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Knapp, a man from the past! They do get prickly when they get older. I mean the cars
Old 02-28-2019, 05:37 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

We here have 2 Audis in our garage, an '11 A4 PP, spun #1 bearing at 38K miles 8 months out of warranty and a '14 Q5 PP TDI and many here know the track record on TDI's lately. I been driving Audis since '91 and yeah they get to be really prickly sometimes, allot of times. That being said, they are quattro, none better and the 'feel' of this brand is addictive and like no other when they occasionally are trouble free. 😀 🙄