Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Google map via android auto in dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Google map via android auto in dash

have a 2018 progressive and installed android auto on my cell. When connected with tbe usb cable in storage area can use google map on MMI but using the tabs in the dash and going to map instead of showing the google map it just shows a compass.
Any idea how to get google map like the navigation map in the dash?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's possible. I've been trying for some time now since my trial of Audi Connect expired and I loved the GM in the VC but the only way to get navigation to show up in the VC is to use Audi's native navigation. Or pay for Connect.

The only modification I've seen for Android Auto is AnyAutoAudio, which lets you play an audio through Android Auto, even apps that aren't AA compatible. For me, it's a sideloaded Spotify app and some Radio apps. But I do see that some podcast apps and other Audi streaming services which are normally not supported with AA can be used with AnyAutoAudio. But that's not what you're asking about, though.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Not possible.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think you can get the audi map to display if you use it to navigate before connecting your phone, but cannot get andriod/carplay on VC.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will always show a compass if nav is activated on your smart phone. Otherwise it will work. Sometimes turning on and off fhe smart phone helps
Old 03-05-2019, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Audi chose to show a compass in the VC if you start turn-by-turn directions on Android Auto (and also, apparently, on CarPlay). Android Auto requires the OEM to stop any active turn-by-turn nav in their native system when you start turn-by-turn in the Android Auto -- this is to ensure that only one system is giving you voice turn instructions at once. Audi decided they'd just turn off their entire nav system in VC to stop any existing active nav, showing a compass instead.

If you leave Google Maps or Waze up on the MMI without actively navigating to a destination, you will still see the upcoming traffic and also get alerts about road conditions (in waze). You can set TBT directions in the Audi system -- Android Auto will not replace its maps with a compass.

I generally use TBT directions on Android Auto, and I leave the VC display on audio, so I can see all of the metadata for the currently-playing track at the same time as my navigation.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

For what it's worth, I rented a Ford Fusion on a trip out west and it did the same thing. The dash map turned into a compass when set a destination on google maps in carplay.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just reading through forums, yes you can add this feature, all you need to do on the android is say allow bluetooth and you will see the map in the console and the waze map, you cannot do this on an apple, picture for all the doubters Plus this way you can use the much better bluetooth phone functions and not the android auto horrible one.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NERO11
Just reading through forums, yes you can add this feature, all you need to do on the android is say allow bluetooth and you will see the map in the console and the waze map, you cannot do this on an apple, picture for all the doubters Plus this way you can use the much better bluetooth phone functions and not the android auto horrible one.
Sorry, don't understand what you mean. Do you mean not connect the cell via the USB cable and try to get andriod auto via bluetooth? How ?

M.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

along with this - how does one get Android Auto from launching every time on one plugs into the USB port? I 've removed the AA app and I still get a question about AA starting every time I start the car. Very annoying. Samsung Galaxy S7

Quick Reply: Google map via android auto in dash