Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

12V battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 12V battery

Usually EV's have a 12V battery and a DC/DC converter to charge it from the main HV pack. I haven't seen any mention of this or seen it pointed out in a video walk through. Does anyone know where its located? My other Audis have the battery in the trunk but I've only seen the audio subwoofer in the back of the e-tron. It's possible this is a very small lead acid battery because it doesn't need the power to start an engine.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlear
Usually EV's have a 12V battery and a DC/DC converter to charge it from the main HV pack. I haven't seen any mention of this or seen it pointed out in a video walk through. Does anyone know where its located? My other Audis have the battery in the trunk but I've only seen the audio subwoofer in the back of the e-tron. It's possible this is a very small lead acid battery because it doesn't need the power to start an engine.
My Macan has the spare, full size battery and sub all in the back so I'd bet the e-tron will have it there too.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

The owner manual mention a 12V battery, and states that it is serviceable by dealer only. It does not mention the location of the 12V battery.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by anemeth
The owner manual mention a 12V battery, and states that it is serviceable by dealer only. It does not mention the location of the 12V battery.
I haven't seen the manual yet. Is it available online?
Old 03-10-2019, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't seen the manual yet. Is it available online?
Sort of, you have to register your e-tron on myAudi, and you will see the owner manual there.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by anemeth
Sort of, you have to register your e-tron on myAudi, and you will see the owner manual there.
Any chance of accidentally attaching the manual to this post ? :-)
Old 03-10-2019, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fideba
Any chance of accidentally attaching the manual to this post ? :-)
Unfortunately I cannot, as far as I know nobody figured out how to get it from myAudi page.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

perhaps somebody can post a VIN number or one that is one digit off from one and we can then look at a manual. The previous posting of VIN numbers was from pre-production cars (I think they had XXX in the number) and thus a non-valid number to get the manual.
Audi Online Owner's Manual
Old 03-10-2019, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It doesn't have to be a lead-acid battery. The motorcycle aftermarket is now providing a LOT of Li-ion 12v. batteries that are quite compact and light. One of the good things about the EV/PHEV autos is that the onboard DC/DC charger keeps the 12v battery charged from the high voltage battery. My previous BMW and M-B ICE's that were mostly city driven had to be kept on a maintenance charger because in-city running would never fully charge the 12v lead-Acid battery.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

It doesn't have to be a lead-acid battery.
You're right, it could be 4 series lithium iron cells (LiFe, A123) but that would require cells and balancing BMS that are much more expensive than a small lead acid battery and Audi has already complained about the difficulties in making profit on EVs. If they did this, they would be one of first legacy automakers to use it.

The owner manual mention a 12V battery, and states that it is serviceable by dealer only.
There might be a good reason for this (buried under HV components). Hopefully this isn't Audi trying to make money on EV servicing.

Quick Reply: 12V battery