A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

For those living in Philly/Jersey USA area

Old 03-16-2019, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default For those living in Philly/Jersey USA area

Do NOT get gas from Wawa. After experiencing a few misfires when I first got the A4, after being at the dealership for a week they determined it was bad gas after they emptied the fuel tank. Since then, I only fill it with Sunoco 93 octane and I have not had any further misfires in 10k + miles.

I was told by the dealership that pretty much any gas besides Wawa should be ok. Please heed my advice, I was really scared there was something seriously wrong with my engine, but I had been filling it up at Wawa with 91 and had no idea! Wawa gas may cause misfires in the B9 A4.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Appreciate the heads up. Another reason I will never buy gas at these types of stations. I have settled on Shell V Power 93 and BP 93. But for some reason every Shell stations top gas is about 30-40 cents higher per gallon than BP. Actually I was at Shell the other night and the attendant mentioned/warned me that the gas went up 10 cents a gallon a short while ago. I was going to mention that you guys won't be seeing me for a while not at 40 cents more a gallon.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Appreciate the heads up. Another reason I will never buy gas at these types of stations. I have settled on Shell V Power 93 and BP 93. But for some reason every Shell stations top gas is about 30-40 cents higher per gallon than BP. Actually I was at Shell the other night and the attendant mentioned/warned me that the gas went up 10 cents a gallon a short while ago. I was going to mention that you guys won't be seeing me for a while not at 40 cents more a gallon.
I noticed the Shell premium gas in my area is significantly higher than other reputable brands as well, though I have always heard that Shell offers great quality gasoline. That aside, I usually frequent Marathon, Sunoco, or BP.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by idealdreams
I noticed the Shell premium gas in my area is significantly higher than other reputable brands as well, though I have always heard that Shell offers great quality gasoline. That aside, I usually frequent Marathon, Sunoco, or BP.
Yes, I think VPower gets top of the top ratings, but I can't imagine BP far - if any behind in quality, but at 40 cents a gallon more........I'll stick with BP. Also I generally only go to one BP dealer and they are always busy - so no gas is ever laying around too long. And as something that seems to be an anachronism today, they have the air hose out there for free tire fill ups.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Stick to Top Tier Gasoline and you should be fine.

If you want to see who is a licensed retailer, and why you should use Top Tier Gasoline brands only, see here. You'll be surprised to find some "run of the mill" gas station brands are Top Tier rated.

FWIW, I only stick to Chevron and Shell and never had any issues with bad gas, misfires, or any of the negatives. Let me go find some wood to knock on now.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Another vote for sticking with Top Tier fuel. It’s cheap insurance
Old 03-17-2019, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Daaavid
Stick to Top Tier Gasoline and you should be fine.
Originally Posted by KevinGary
Another vote for sticking with Top Tier fuel. It’s cheap insurance
Yep and if the car requires premium fuel, it gets premium fuel. Not a place to skimp.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Damn. I’ve been using Wawa for years and I just purchased a brand new A4 yesterday! Guess I will need to do separate hoagie and sizzli runs in the future.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Yep and if the car requires premium fuel, it gets premium fuel. Not a place to skimp.
Damn straight!
Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think there is a reasonable alternative, though. The internet is certainly a hive of bad information but I'd still suggest there seems to be a consensus that the major difference between Top Tier and other fuels is the presence of the active ingredient in Techron (polyetheramine; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techron).

I don't have the same length of experience with my 2.0t allroad as my previous VAG 1.8t (AEB), but the outcome from a Techron experiment with the older car was interesting. By VCDS, I had essentially no misfires through the first two years until chipping (APR93) the ECU. That left me with a constant, small number that were randomly distributed over all 4 cylinders over several years and didn't change with time despite my using Speedway/Hess 93 throughout, supplemented with about 60 ml per 15 gallon tank of Techron concentrate. No other badness, car ran perfectly smoothly for 13 years
(coil packs aside...)

I have a sense of what things looked like when I pulled the first O2 sensor as preventative maintenance at 100k miles, as well: the sensor was somewhat whitish, which the Bosch web site photos describe as additive-stained. Still worked fine, though.

It's an uncontrolled experiment but I'm moving ahead with the same fuel and about half the Techron per tank (30 ml). We'll see how this one looks in another few years.

Last edited by bvariant; 03-17-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those living in Philly/Jersey USA area