Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Privacy Mode and Data Collection

Old 03-18-2019, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Privacy Mode and Data Collection

I read the Privacy material a bit (not drilled down into it yet). Noticed that the 2018 and 2019 have the ability to opt out of sharing all the information, including GPS tracking.

Does anyone know whether or not recent software updates allow for the Privacy Mode with all the options for the 2017.

They are collecting MORE THAN YOU MIGHT THINK!. And it seems that when you go in for service Audi Dealers are not talking about it.
There may be privacy violations in your state.

I hope this is a topic we can discuss and I hope we receive many informed and intelligent replies. And please share your experiences concerning this matter.
Thanks
Old 03-18-2019, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GBMILTON
I read the Privacy material a bit (not drilled down into it yet). Noticed that the 2018 and 2019 have the ability to opt out of sharing all the information, including GPS tracking.

Does anyone know whether or not recent software updates allow for the Privacy Mode with all the options for the 2017.

They are collecting MORE THAN YOU MIGHT THINK!. And it seems that when you go in for service Audi Dealers are not talking about it.

I hope this is a topic we can discuss and I hope we receive many informed and intelligent replies. And please share your experiences concerning this matter.
Thanks
I don't think you can switch off GPS-based tracking of vehicle movements, nor other on-board computer-stored data. I recall reading somewhere in the Manual that in most states police authorities can request to extract information from a car computer if there was an incident/crime/etc. and there will be no choice to deny it. Don't know how it works in other countries.Why should we worry about Audi tracking if we're already visible by means of tracking our cell phones?

Last edited by ConservativeConsumer; 03-18-2019 at 08:14 AM. Reason: cc
Old 03-18-2019, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Europeans are supossedly developing a system where your car will be limited to the speed limit except for brief periods. Can’t imagine how that will fly.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GBMILTON
I guess they have right to know where the car is if you financed or leased it, and that's part of their basic rights.
However, who they share the information with is what matters more than what they collect. Like how T-Mo/Sprint/AT&T recently found to be selling GPS and tower triangulation data to bounty-hunters (directly or indirectly)...

Originally Posted by Corgiman
Europeans are supossedly developing a system where your car will be limited to the speed limit except for brief periods. Can’t imagine how that will fly.
Maybe it was when autobahn speed limits were being discussed, but I don't see how anyone would buy a car knowingly that your speed can be limited via GPS.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I guess they have right to know where the car is if you financed or leased it, and that's part of their basic rights.
However, who they share the information with is what matters more than what they collect. Like how T-Mo/Sprint/AT&T recently found to be selling GPS and tower triangulation data to bounty-hunters (directly or indirectly)...

Maybe it was when autobahn speed limits were being discussed, but I don't see how anyone would buy a car knowingly that your speed can be limited via GPS.
https://etsc.eu/briefing-intelligent...ssistance-isa/

Last edited by Corgiman; 03-18-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It's just fancier traffic sign detection system. This isn't very different than what we have in our driver-assist system with adaptive cruise control. You can enable the option of dropping the cruise control to speed limit or speed limit + 10mph.
The article also says that driver can hit the gas to overwrite this, while the video shows that driving pressing the gas and it's not going faster, but with a push of a button it can be disabled. This whole thing is actually very useful if you have young drivers and you hand them the keys with speed limiter or speed limiter + preset mph. While we're at it, we need to include a bumper sticker "speed limited by parents, please go around".
Old 03-18-2019, 11:32 AM
mbs
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
I don't think you can switch off GPS-based tracking of vehicle movements, nor other on-board computer-stored data
Page 193 of the 2018 Q7 manual has this in the Audi Connection section of the manual under the heading "Data privacy"
Location and personal data are transmitted when
using Audi connect services . If you do not want
this information to be transmitted, activate data
privacy .
- Activate privacy: the data connection is limit ed
or deactivated. Some Audi connect services will
not be available. In vehicles with Audi connect
emergency call and service (page 201), location
and vehicle data will be transmitted via the
emergency call in cases of emergency . For online
roadside assistance*, only the voice call is
made and no data is transmitted.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how do i Do this in my 2018 Q7
Old 03-18-2019, 11:32 PM
mbs
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by whyman
how do i Do this in my 2018 Q7
See page 193 of your owners manual
Old 03-19-2019, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought I saw something about dropping cookies via you IP onto your home computer if your wifii goes to your driveway or garage or maybe through your phone if you connect to the MMI. If so that's a WTF, agree?

I see nothing in the 2017 manual about activating privacy. They need to do a download update for this so that 2017 and earlier owners have the option.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Privacy Mode and Data Collection