A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

What tires are recommended for ice/snow?

Old 03-20-2019, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tires are recommended for ice/snow?

Thanks to some nasty comments on a earlier post of mine I have decided to perhaps try some different tires on my A4 to perhaps give me better performance on ice and snow especially the "hunting" issue on ice. Anyone with good experience who can help me with a good tire selection? I'm stopping in to Discount Tire to pick some up hopefully.
My current tires are Cinturato P7 from Pirelli.

All season preferred.

Last edited by pdaugh; 03-20-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on which rim size you have? Stock wheels?

For the stock 19" 5 arm rotor wheels with 245/35R19 tires. My recommended winter tires are Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 or Nokian WR A4. I currently run the Continental Contiwintercontact TS830 P and they are pretty good.

I don't recommend "All season" tires for driving on ANY amount of snow and ice.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I believe people recommend Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 for wet/snow traction among all-season tires. I tried them on my previous car (Mazda 3) and they never got me stranded in northeastern snow storms for good 5 years. However, they have quite radical tread pattern and tendency to tram line on uneven pavements at highway speed -- I'm not sure if it's the same as "hunting" you refer to, but noteworthy. That being said, no all-season tire performs on level with dedicated snow-tires, and improved snow traction comes at a cost, either from dry traction or other characteristics.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Tire Rack rates the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 number 1

Consumer Reports rates Yokohama Bluearth Winter V905 number 1.

I have owned both. They are both great winter tires. I give the Yokohama’s the slight edge.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just got an A4 avant with Michelin cross climates - I haven’t had enough drive time or the weather, to be objective, but reviewed them yesterday and they seem to be rated highly .
Old 03-20-2019, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

You can also give TireRack a call and discuss your situation. Do you have lots of deep snow often or occasional snow. Lots of ice? There are tires that are better in deep snow, others that are high performance winter tires and will provide a ride much like the OEM's AS. Anyhow, you can choose between lots of great winter tires - every one of which will outperform your OEM AS in cold/icy/snowy weather.
I hope you took mo offense from your earlier posting - I think all here were trying to help.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nokian Hakkappellitta R2s for me. Lots of snow covered roads and occasional deep snow.

Many other good good options as well.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BSBG
Nokian Hakkappellitta R2s for me. Lots of snow covered roads and occasional deep snow.

Many other good good options as well.
Agree. My point exactly - different snow/winter tires for different scenarios/areas. And I hear those Hakkas are tops in deep/heavy snow, but would not be the choice for me in NJ. However, I think, whenever my Blizzaks wear out I would take a look into the Michellins.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
You can also give TireRack a call and discuss your situation. Do you have lots of deep snow often or occasional snow. Lots of ice? There are tires that are better in deep snow, others that are high performance winter tires and will provide a ride much like the OEM's AS. Anyhow, you can choose between lots of great winter tires - every one of which will outperform your OEM AS in cold/icy/snowy weather.
I hope you took mo offense from your earlier posting - I think all here were trying to help.
No worries. I’ve decided dropping another grand on tires isn’t a good way to go. The factory tires worked well and I’m thinking the movement from side to side has either been there all the time or it’s a new thing related to maybe one wheel, possibly the side where the noise is coming from. If the service department can diagnose the issue and fix it before Nov/Dec great. Maybe that takes care of the problem. If not, I’ll probably just sell the car. The feeling I get driving it is just unnerving and not why I bought the car for my wife. Hey, thanks everyone. Love the car otherwise. Corners like it’s on rails! The turbo and tranny is smooth as a cats behind. I’ll miss the summertime fun.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, I hope they can find and fix your issue as it is very atypical for this car. Where are you located?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What tires are recommended for ice/snow?