Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

5 things to do after you get a new car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5 things to do after you get a new car

Hi,

Once my car arrived, I will be a first time car owner.

What are the first 5 things I need to do next in terms of preventative maintenance?
I'm talking about color coating, window tinting, apply dent protector.. haha that's the only things I can think of.

I'm in the city of Chicago. Car is Monsoon Gray. If you know a good/reliable place, I would like to know the name of the place too.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2019, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Get XPEL Ultimate and get it ceramic coated right away. Once that is done upgrade the sway bars. After that, throw out the all season tires and go with season dedicated tires.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Umbra window tinting. Nino is legendary in the Chicago land area. Five stars on yelp.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dashcam.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd get a good wash and detailing setup. Stay away from carwashes. Even the touchless ones typically recycle water to save money and add chemicals to the water.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by peekyIL
Hi,

Once my car arrived, I will be a first time car owner.

What are the first 5 things I need to do next in terms of preventative maintenance?
I'm talking about color coating, window tinting, apply dent protector.. haha that's the only things I can think of.

I'm in the city of Chicago. Car is Monsoon Gray. If you know a good/reliable place, I would like to know the name of the place too.

Thanks!
Monsoon Gray! Great choice and welcome to the fun.

Here’s what I did, when I got mine...
1) PPF full front, side wheel wells, hood, a-pillars, mirrors, trunk lip
2) RS style grille - EMD auto or EBay
3) Ceramic coatings
4) Metal accelerator, foot pad and brake pedals
5) Window tinting, including front windshield
Old 03-22-2019, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Chicago Auto Pros in Glenview. They're an awesome shop - they do amazing work. Tints, coatings, overall detail, etc.

Ask to speak with Greg or Jason (the owners) and let them know Max with the S5 recommended you.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

This what I did -
1) Sprayed all carpets inside and trunk with 3M Scotch guard green label, two coats. Test first in an obscure area to be sure no color change.
2) Applied leather conditioner/repellent on all leather surfaces.
3) Applied RainX on all window outer surfaces and outside mirrors and buffed thoroughly with soft cloth. Cleaned the the glass thoroughly before RainX application.
4) Installed Weathertech floor mats
5) Installed outdoor carpet from Homedepot cut it to fit in the trunk over the factory surface
6) Applied RejeX, two coats. Used microfiber cloth to remove RejeX. Important apply in shade. Being particular myself cleaned the paint surface with 3M hand glaze to remove any wax that the dealer may have applied before RejeX (probably not necessary RejeX has glazing compound in it).

To protect the rear bumper when lifting heavy objects, bought a 4x6 movers blanket from Harbor Freight and installed it under the outdoor carpet in the trunk. Folded up the extra length under the carpet near the trunk lip. When needed, I simply take the length out let it hang over the bumper and then fold it up once done.

Last edited by 18A5SB; 03-23-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 18A5SB
This what I did -
1) Sprayed all carpets inside and trunk with 3M Scotch guard green label, two coats. Test first in an obscure area to be sure no color change.
2) Applied leather conditioner/repellent on all leather surfaces.
3) Applied RainX on all window outer surfaces and outside mirrors and buffed thoroughly with soft cloth. Cleaned the the glass thoroughly before RainX application.
4) Installed Weathertech floor mats
5) Installed outdoor carpet from Homedepot cut it to fit in the trunk over the factory surface
6) Applied RejeX, two coats. Used microfiber cloth to remove RejeX. Important apply in shade. Being particular myself cleaned the paint surface with 3M hand glaze to remove any wax that the dealer may have applied before RejeX (probably not necessary RejeX has glazing compound in it).

To protect the rear bumper when lifting heavy objects, bought a 4x6 movers blanket from Harbor Freight and installed it under the outdoor carpet in the trunk. Folded up the extra length under the carpet near the trunk lip. When needed, I simply take the length out let it hang over the bumper and then fold it up once done.
What leather conditioner and repellent did you use? On my previous car, I felt like one I used made the leather seats shiny, even after buffing out all the excess which I didn't like.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

As soon as I got mine, I did a few things that I think were needed immediately. All others, such as modifications can be done later.

Immediately went to get it ceramic tinted.
Full paint correction
Feynlab Self Heal Lite ceramic coating.

Quick Reply: 5 things to do after you get a new car