Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How much oil top up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts
Default How much oil top up?

Hello guys,

On my last service the dealer didn't pour enough oil to get to the MAX level (checked via on screen gauge and dipstick), the dipstick measured oil level right after the service was at 3/4 between MIN and MAX, dealer said it was OK, nothing to worry about, but considering this a "fixed" 2.0T Audi engine, I've developed an oil related OCD

So 6,000km after I'm pretty close to the MIN level. I service the car every 7,500km so my oil light will probably go off before the next service appointment, hopefully not, but you never know. Thing is, how much oil should I top up if the light goes off considering I'm pretty close to an oil change? Would just 250cm3 (1/4 quart) be enough or do I have to pour more? That would leave the oil level at 1/4 between MIN and MAX, good enough until my next service. Or should I pour more?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2019, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Unless you are going on a trip, put in 1/4 of a quart and see if you are happy with that. Way easier to add then remove if you over fill.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Unless you are going on a trip, put in 1/4 of a quart and see if you are happy with that. Way easier to add then remove if you over fill.
Thanks! Not planning a road trip, it'll be just my daily commute/errands until the next service.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:28 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I thought it was pretty well established the difference between MIN and MAX represents 1 Liter.
But as long as you are between them you are good. Better too low than too high.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
I thought it was pretty well established the difference between MIN and MAX represents 1 Liter.
But as long as you are between them you are good. Better too low than too high.
Yeah, I knew about the 1 liter difference between MIN & MAX. I might not have explained myself, my question was more related to topping up just the necessary amount of oil to get to the next service. So, instead of topping ip a full liter, just add 1/4 of a liter.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Iggy, that strategy is fine.

You'll kind a warning once the oil disappears off the bar graph.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Iggy-
With brand name full synthetic Audi approved oils around $4/liter (if you stock up during the sales) I think I'd throw in 1/2 liter and not worry about wasting literally one more buck on the oil. Or, if you are really close to oil change time? Just do the change early.
I've only had one engine in my life that consumed oil...well, two actually. A 289 Mustang with a rear bearing leak, and it just didn't pay to pull the engine to stop the leak. I'd just watch the oil temp gauge and when it went up 10 degrees, I knew it was time for another quart of Pennzoil(G). And a small Chevy that had been badly abused by prior owners, but even that didn't need more than a quart every 5000 miles.
On my planet, we have a simple oil consumption policy. However much oil the CAR needs between service visits? The entire shop staff has to line up and consume an equal amount. Each and every one of them.
They no longer debate the question of whether zero oil consumption should be considered acceptable.(G)
Old 03-27-2019, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Iggy-
With brand name full synthetic Audi approved oils around $4/liter (if you stock up during the sales) I think I'd throw in 1/2 liter and not worry about wasting literally one more buck on the oil. Or, if you are really close to oil change time? Just do the change early.
I've only had one engine in my life that consumed oil...well, two actually. A 289 Mustang with a rear bearing leak, and it just didn't pay to pull the engine to stop the leak. I'd just watch the oil temp gauge and when it went up 10 degrees, I knew it was time for another quart of Pennzoil(G). And a small Chevy that had been badly abused by prior owners, but even that didn't need more than a quart every 5000 miles.
On my planet, we have a simple oil consumption policy. However much oil the CAR needs between service visits? The entire shop staff has to line up and consume an equal amount. Each and every one of them.
They no longer debate the question of whether zero oil consumption should be considered acceptable.(G)
Hahaha, that would indeed be the end of the oil consumption debate! I might get lucky and don't have to top up until the next service. And after that service I'll stop taking it to the dealer, I'll install a Fumoto F-106N oil drain valve and start doing oil changes myself.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

BTW, Castrol Edge 5W40 costs $14/liter where I live, Liqui Moly $16/liter, and premium gas (97 octane) $1.70/liter ($6.50/gallon)
Old 03-27-2019, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Liqui Moly fires up my BS detector. Either it is or isn't liquid molybdenum, and that ain't gonna happen unless you've got a ceramic kiln furnace in the engine bay. So whatever they are selling--it is all sizzle, not steak.

Why the Castrol Edge should be so much...dunno, come south and hit up WalMart or Costco. Five or six quarts of Mobil 1 0W40 (five liter bottle vs 6 quarts in a box) for $22-25 and sometimes there's a $5-10 rebate from Mobil that can be stacked on top of that.

Remember, your gasoline doesn't really cost $1.70 per liter. About half of that is actually TAXES which are keeping your national health "free" or doing something similar. In the EU, they use the money to build high speed railways. In the US...different cost allocation.

I've got the Fumoto too. I'm planning to cut a small access panel in the road pan, right under it, and add a meter or two of 5/8" hose to the valve, so I can tuck it under the edge of the pan and just pull the last foot out, stick it in a bottle, flip the valve, and drain the oil without having to touch the pan or much else again. I'll stick a cork (or a bolt) in the end of the hose, so it can't dribble.

Quick Reply: How much oil top up?