A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

The B9 MT6 thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default The B9 MT6 thread

Hello ALL
If you took delivery of a 2018 A4 or A5 with manual transmission, congradulations!! You’re in the club

I felt compelled to open a dedicated thread for B9 MT6 owners because, let’s be honest, it’s different car mechanically and overwhelming more exiting to drive than the DSG. Here MT6 owners can openly share technical info, DIY, and the experiences of the B9 MT6 variant over their course of ownership.

To start off some technical discussions, I decided my perforated shift **** looked very worn and a bit faded for my liking compared to when the car was new (this was partially my own fault lol). Luckily I have a brand new OEM perf-****, but couldn’t figure out how to remove the console and boot. Not many DIYs for the MT6 around, so I wanted to share the process here.

This YouTuber is installing a JHM short throw and walks us through the process.

Emjoy!
The following users liked this post:
Ion Mindrescu (01-22-2023)
Old 04-11-2019, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Great idea.

I did start a thread on occasional 3rd gear grind. Thread below.
Has anyone notice a slight grind going from second to third gear ? I've notice that it grinds once in awhile when I shift from second engaging into third gear. It usually happens when I am at 50 to 90% throttle before I shift. I am almost 100% certain that I have the clutch completely depressed before shifting. I am certainly not new to driving manual transmission.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ssion-2965741/
Old 04-11-2019, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mkwan
Great idea.

I did start a thread on occasional 3rd gear grind. Thread below.
Has anyone notice a slight grind going from second to third gear ? I've notice that it grinds once in awhile when I shift from second engaging into third gear. It usually happens when I am at 50 to 90% throttle before I shift. I am almost 100% certain that I have the clutch completely depressed before shifting. I am certainly not new to driving manual transmission.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ssion-2965741/
This just happened to me, although the gear doesn't grind, it doesn't want to go into 3rd sometimes if you're going deeper on the throttle. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does I know I got the clutch in. I wonder if anyone else with the manual could chime in.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Height

Does anyone have a complaint about the height of the clutch pedal? Unfortunately it is not adjustable.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by iggawiggy
This just happened to me, although the gear doesn't grind, it doesn't want to go into 3rd sometimes if you're going deeper on the throttle. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does I know I got the clutch in. I wonder if anyone else with the manual could chime in.
Mine shifts buttery smooth, but it can feel a bit notchy going into 3rd higher up in the power band, but really no different than any other manual car I’ve owned. The pedal and the shifter and the clutch always feel right and and never misses gears. I would bring it in for service and give the tech a test drive to demonstrate.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I would bring it to the dealership if I could repeat the issue but I cant. It only happens once in awhile. I don't think the dealership is going to tear it apart until it gets worse.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by black.cat
Hello ALL
If you took delivery of a 2018 A4 or A5 with manual transmission, congradulations!! You’re in the club

I felt compelled to open a dedicated thread for B9 MT6 owners because, let’s be honest, it’s different car mechanically and overwhelming more exiting to drive than the DSG. Here MT6 owners can openly share technical info, DIY, and the experiences of the B9 MT6 variant over their course of ownership.

To start off some technical discussions, I decided my perforated shift **** looked very worn and a bit faded for my liking compared to when the car was new (this was partially my own fault lol). Luckily I have a brand new OEM perf-****, but couldn’t figure out how to remove the console and boot. Not many DIYs for the MT6 around, so I wanted to share the process here.

This YouTuber is installing a JHM short throw and walks us through the process.
https://youtu.be/gPwwe04CuB0

Emjoy!
Guess who’s car is in the video lol! Great to be a part of this limited community, JHM Developed and finalized the short throw and solid cross rod upgrade on my beloved car.

Also, just to add some awesome facts about the B9 A4:

• 891 A4’s sold with 6 speed manual transmission in 2017

• 1,015 A4’s sold with 6 speed manual transmission in 2018

***This is from Audi of North America as of 3 days ago.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I snagged a 2018 last fall. I had to buy it from a dealer in California and have it shipped to my home in Kansas City. I did not realize that there were so few of them sold. I am definitely in a select group!
Old 04-12-2019, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by misanorotrs4
Guess who’s car is in the video lol! Great to be a part of this limited community, JHM Developed and finalized the short throw and solid cross rod upgrade on my beloved car.

Also, just to add some awesome facts about the B9 A4:

• 891 A4’s sold with 6 speed manual transmission in 2017

• 1,015 A4’s sold with 6 speed manual transmission in 2018

***This is from Audi of North America as of 3 days ago.
2018 Ultra Sport owner here. I started documenting the 6MT cars in early 2018, and also got production info from Vincenzo at AoA as the year went on.

To summarize: the 2018 total is higher than 1,015 because Audi separated the cars into 2 different groups.
The most recent numbers I have are from October 2018:

2018 A4 6MT: 1,013
2018 A4 6MT Tech Value Package: 198
2018 A4 6MT Total: 1,211

These numbers will have gone up a bit since then, as they were not final at the time.​​​​​​​

Last edited by Group B; 04-13-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as 2017, the number Vincenzo gave me as of April 2018 was 876. Because of the reporting lag it’s possible it has gone up to 891 since then, but I’d want to verify that.
Here’s the color breakdown he gave me for the 876 total:

The following users liked this post:
Ion Mindrescu (01-22-2023)

Quick Reply: The B9 MT6 thread