Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

e tron = electric Q8

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e tron = electric Q8

Went to New York Auto Show today. Audi had a bunch of models there, including several E-Trons! Sat in it and Q8 back-to-back, they look and feel nearly identical. I was there with my parents who are not car people, and they couldn't tell the difference - same size, look and feel, both inside and outside. Both cars look nice, sleek. Not huge like Q7, but a bit more muscular/sporty. I am a tall guy, at 6'4", and could fit fine.

So, while you are waiting for your E-Tron, if you are wondering what E-Tron looks and feels like, just go to your nearest dealer and sit in Q8.

They also had Q5 and Q3 there. They felt smaller compared to E-Tron, especially the back seat.

No test drives, so can't comment on that.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven both and they don't drive the same. The e-tron understandably has a lower center of gravity and doesn't have the horrible turbo lag the Q8 has. Size wise, the e-tron is a tiny bit smaller and the gauge cluster screen is mounted at a different angle, which makes it a little easier to ready. (Also e-tron has a fragrance dispenser for you smelly folk)
Old 04-19-2019, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would think you sit a bit lower in the E Tron as well.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pkulak
I would think you sit a bit lower in the E Tron as well.
I was just at the local car show here, and while they didn't let you into the Etron, its clearly a physically smaller external posture compared to a Q8. The inside is notably different also. The center stack gear shifter etc is different enough. I will get a chance to drive the etron next week and if its interesting, I will post something here.

I will agree that the Q8 and etron have very similar design language and look pretty close, there is going to be very different driving differences due to the center of gravity, and the slightly smaller and generally lower stance of the etron. Not to mention there is no 4 wheel active steer in the etron, so if you drive a q8 with it, that will give you a different impression also;

I'm looking forward to next week to see the inside up close (the car show the locked the bloody doors and didn't let anyone in, but you could see only the front cabin through the glass, back was tinted out too much).
Old 04-20-2019, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiTK
I was just at the local car show here, and while they didn't let you into the Etron, its clearly a physically smaller external posture compared to a Q8...
E-Tron seems very similar to Q8 if looking at the specs:
* E-Tron: Length = 193", Width = 76.3", Height = 65.5", Wheelbase = 115.3"
* Q8: Length = 196.3", Width = 78.5", Height = 67.1", Wheelbase = 117.9"

For comparison, Q5: Length = 183.6", Width = 74.5", Height = 65.3", Wheelbase = 111"

It is most similar to Q8, just a tiny bit smaller, but visually hard to tell them apart. It does ride a bit lower, it's as tall as Q5 but the length is nearly as Q8. Anyway, from purely visual look & feel, it seemed the most similar to Q8, with Q5 a bit smaller, and Q3 noticeably smaller.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ago2
E-Tron seems very similar to Q8 if looking at the specs:
* E-Tron: Length = 193", Width = 76.3", Height = 65.5", Wheelbase = 115.3"
* Q8: Length = 196.3", Width = 78.5", Height = 67.1", Wheelbase = 117.9"

For comparison, Q5: Length = 183.6", Width = 74.5", Height = 65.3", Wheelbase = 111"

It is most similar to Q8, just a tiny bit smaller, but visually hard to tell them apart. It does ride a bit lower, it's as tall as Q5 but the length is nearly as Q8. Anyway, from purely visual look & feel, it seemed the most similar to Q8, with Q5 a bit smaller, and Q3 noticeably smaller.
If your looking at a square box, they are nearly identical as the numbers show. But, when you see them in person, the stance is notably different, and the Etron looks smaller. The roof line and other angles on the etron give it a different stance, making it look smaller (optically). Specifically the back section, and maybe the windshield angle.

I think this optical significant appearance of size reduction is reflected int he drag coefficient numbers
etron 0.28
Q8 0.34

To me this is a combination of things (like the bottom floor pan, and air intakes, but I think (have not tested for it) the windshield angle and curvature combined with the slop of the rear roof line, is reflected in part in the drag numbers. Leads me to believe that the optical stance being smaller is true despite the simular max dimension numbers (which just reflect the size of the smallest box around the car.

I hope that makes some sense....

I would be interested in know your opnion
Old 04-20-2019, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

here is the e-tron side-by-side next to the Q8 at NY auto show. ( starts at 5:03 time mark)
But keep in mind we don't know the air suspension height settings

Old 04-20-2019, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2KA6_2.7T
here is the e-tron side-by-side next to the Q8 at NY auto show. ( starts at 5:03 time mark)
But keep in mind we don't know the air suspension height settings

https://youtu.be/CYndjWrm0to?t=297
Thanks for the clip, I still still think that the Q8 has a 'bigger' presence that the etron. That video is too far away and with the camera movement is hard to see this, its just not captured in the video. Either way, my point was not about the size itself, but the attractiveness of the design is informed by the dimensions, ratios and angles. My point was that that at a optical level, the Etron has a stance that is different enough that you cant just say that if you like (or dislike) the Q8 you will automatically like the etron. The "lines" of the Etron are more sporty looking, than the Q8 despite the almost same max dimension on the spec sheet.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Okay, I managed to find some decent line drawings and butchered together an overlap of the Q8 vs Etron to show a bit more of what I was talking about;

The Blue lines are the Q8 and the Black Lines are the etron in these pictures;

To Me the Q8 hood line looks higher, and the windshield seems to come up at a higher angle and the etron back back is slopped at a higher angle. Also because of the battery it appears it sits lower, but the wheel arches seem to be of the same size.

It should be said that I aligned based on the rims of the car. But I dont know if these drawings had the exact same wheel size. Also, this is not done with great precision, so not everything can be 100% accurate, its meant to demonstrate "approx" overlaps and for the purpose of illustration of the differences should be accurate, but not to the exact scientific precision as having the true car files to work with....

At the end of the day, its subjective, but this is why I think the Q8 has a 'bigger' presence when you see them in person.

Blue is Q8 vs Black is Etron

Etron Alone

Q8 Alone

Last edited by AudiTK; 04-20-2019 at 11:14 AM. Reason: * Added the 'precision disclaimer'.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nice, thanks for doing the comparison! Yes, lots of small differences, but overall I'd call these two vehicles "similar enough". Q8 is the closest ICE analog to ETron, and some people may even comparison shop across these two. They are even priced similarly, if you take into account tax incentives.

Quick Reply: e tron = electric Q8