A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Questions from new A4 owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Questions from new A4 owner

Purchased a brand new 2018 A4, prestige a year ago. Absolutely love the car as well as the valuable info from this forum.

Being new to Audi, there was a learning curve to the features and technology. I think I have learned about the vast majority but have 2 questions.
  1. Side Assist/Blind spot alert - Like others, I think it is a little more conservative in it's alerting than I prefer. When there is more than adequate room, it may still alert due to another vehicle quickly approaching. That being said, I have found myself simply looking for the light rather than in the mirror. If the light isn't on, I change lanes. I know that the driver is ultimately responsible but would like to see if others follow this practice and any comments/feedback.
  2. Adaptive cruise control – Love it and wonder how effective it might be in a sudden braking situation. I know the following distance can be changed, but is it safe to say that up to a certain speed, the car will not rear-end another? If so, what’s the speed?
  3. Traffic jam assist - I am learning to trust it but don't want to get too relaxed with it. It seems to brake a little firmer than I might when in a traffic jam, and I wonder if it increases the risk of another vehicle rear-ending me. Do others share this concern? How do you handle it?
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-22-2019, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please! Don't stop using your mirrors! Remain in full control of the car, the aids can't anticipate everything.

Maintain good driving habits so you don't have to think about it if driving another car. For example, driving a rental, I backed into another car assuming the rental had back up warning. Same could happen once used to the other aids. To make it worse, my boss and bosses boss were in the car ��
Old 04-22-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thx StKnowhere and I completely agree. Just wondering about the strategies/thoughts on incorporating the mirrors with the alerting. as well as the other questions.

Thank you.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

For the #1 question, I noticed often when parallel with another car with similar or relative a bit slower speed, the Side Assist/Blind spot alert does not light up. I prefer the Blind spot warning system on the mirror (like Lexus or other cars) where I can see the warning and the rear view at once rather than look at the warning light then the mirror again.

Last edited by minmet; 04-22-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Soonermagic
Purchased a brand new 2018 A4, prestige a year ago. Absolutely love the car as well as the valuable info from this forum.

Being new to Audi, there was a learning curve to the features and technology. I think I have learned about the vast majority but have 2 questions.
  1. Side Assist/Blind spot alert - Like others, I think it is a little more conservative in it's alerting than I prefer. When there is more than adequate room, it may still alert due to another vehicle quickly approaching. That being said, I have found myself simply looking for the light rather than in the mirror. If the light isn't on, I change lanes. I know that the driver is ultimately responsible but would like to see if others follow this practice and any comments/feedback.
  2. Adaptive cruise control – Love it and wonder how effective it might be in a sudden braking situation. I know the following distance can be changed, but is it safe to say that up to a certain speed, the car will not rear-end another? If so, what’s the speed?
  3. Traffic jam assist - I am learning to trust it but don't want to get too relaxed with it. It seems to brake a little firmer than I might when in a traffic jam, and I wonder if it increases the risk of another vehicle rear-ending me. Do others share this concern? How do you handle it?
Thanks in advance!
I will provide an answer to #1 because it nearly put me in a hospital. I saw a driver's blind spot come on and he still moved to change lanes. I was inches away from something tragic happening.

I truly hope you change your driving habits and understand that what you are doing is legal negligence. If something were to occur, you are fully at fault. People trip walking on the street and you feel safe changing lanes at 100+ km/h based on technology that specifically says you should not trust it? Until cars becomes fully autonomous and the technology / company takes accountability for accidents that may occur, you should force yourself to become an aware and engaged driver.

I can't speak to #2 and #3.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

1. I've had times where side assist did not illuminate when a car was in my blind spot so I always turn my head to check
3. I worry about this all the time, but the way to alleviate this is to turn the distance to "2" markings away rather than 1. The problem is it welcomes cars to cut in front of you frequently.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you munsabin. I appreciate your comments and agree that I need to use my driving skills and be fully accountable for my safety and that of those around me.

Thx chemengin and minmet.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enjoy the ride! The A4 is the best automobile I've owned in 50 yrs of driving.

Thx StKnowhere and I completely agree. Just wondering about the strategies/thoughts on incorporating the mirrors with the alerting. as well as the other questions.

Thank you.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by StKnowhere
Enjoy the ride! The A4 is the best automobile I've owned in 50 yrs of driving.
Wow! Best car in 50 years. Audi had a quite achievement.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:22 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Side Assist/Blind spot alert - Like others, I think it is a little more conservative in it's alerting than I prefer. When there is more than adequate room, it may still alert due to another vehicle quickly approaching. That being said, I have found myself simply looking for the light rather than in the mirror. If the light isn't on, I change lanes. I know that the driver is ultimately responsible but would like to see if others follow this practice and any comments/feedback
May I suggest the opposite logic? First, check the mirror and the blind spot light. Then, unless you are in an environment (e.g. divided highway and you've been watching your rear view mirror intensely) such that you have serious spacial awareness, look over your shoulder and confirm there's no one there, then change lanes.

I love my blind spot monitoring (and I am worried that the Progressiv I have now because my Technik was damaged may not have it...), but I think it's best used as a 'do not change lanes when the light is on' rather than 'confidently change lanes when the light is off' tool.

I have come centimeters away from having accidents in my car because, on a three lane freeway, I was changing into the middle lane from the right-most lane and someone else was changing into that lane from the left-most lane.

Quick Reply: Questions from new A4 owner