Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Annoying car wash drip from mirrors problem

Old 05-06-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Annoying car wash drip from mirrors problem

I wash my two Audis (Q5 and A4) by hand, and each has the problem of having water continuously drip from the side mirror housings down the door. I'll dry the car, dry the vertical drip line coming from the side mirrors, and then a few minutes later, there's another water drip line.

Short of keeping an eye on the water dripping from the mirrors for the next 30 minutes or so, has any one figured out how to eliminate the water that must have gathered in the mirror housings and then slowly drips out?

I don't have a compressed air line as they do at automatic car washes, which I assume would do the trick. Any other solution?
Old 05-06-2019, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, I hear ya on that irritation with the drip marks. A simple solution would be to get a $30 electric leaf blower and blow the water out of the housing. That's what I do. Also quite handy to dry the wheels.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sometimes I'll use my air compressor to blow it out, but I tend to shy away from the leaf blower as I find it difficult to not blow other dirt and debris on the car. If I'm in a rush I'll just take my drying towels and wrap them around the bases of the mirrors once I am done drying the rest of the car. This does require some large drying towels to get it all the way wrapped around though.

I also find the roof rails and the rear licence plate bracket drip for a while as well. I'm debating just buying a de-ionizing water system now which will eliminate the need to dry all together.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:27 AM
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even with compressed air, I still drips.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at least I'm not the only one annoyed by this. Think I'll try the little electric pump/vacuum I have, to blow it out...
Old 05-06-2019, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone on FB posted that you can manually rotate the mirror down. “Game changer. Tilt down to drain out all water without hitting the door!”
Old 05-06-2019, 01:30 PM
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tilting it down and blowing it with air definitely helps reduce the issue. When I get drips, they are between the door panel and mirror base. No matter how much I run the blower, I cannot get all the water out.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Slices_of_time
Someone on FB posted that you can manually rotate the mirror down. “Game changer. Tilt down to drain out all water without hitting the door!”
Very cool. I didn't know the mirrors moved in that direction. I checked two of our three cars tonight and they both do it. I'll check the third tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

My Audi isn't as bad as my BMW. I typically just fold the mirrors in (which rotates and dumps the water), and then back out.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

I am glad that I am not alone in letting the water drips bother me. It is always good to hear from fellow OCD members.
The following users liked this post:
SamirKhan (05-23-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Annoying car wash drip from mirrors problem