Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SQ5 lowering springs

Guys has anyone fitted just lowering springs in their SQ5? What's the ride like?
I got a set of H&R springs but I'm not sure whether to fit them or not??? Ride is harsh enough with OEM setup so I don't want it any worse than what it is. But I would like the slightly lowered look.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LazyPanda
Guys has anyone fitted just lowering springs in their SQ5? What's the ride like?
I got a set of H&R springs but I'm not sure whether to fit them or not??? Ride is harsh enough with OEM setup so I don't want it any worse than what it is. But I would like the slightly lowered look.
Installed H&R lowering springs in my `14 SQ5. No other changes. Tightened up the ride; eliminated the top-heavy sway ... more like a go-kart. It did stiffen up the ride, so if you're looking for comfort on rough roads you will compromise. But even with our terrible roads in Northern Vermont I wouldn't go back to the stock springs. Oh, and it looks a lot better too.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BillVT
Installed H&R lowering springs in my `14 SQ5. No other changes. Tightened up the ride; eliminated the top-heavy sway ... more like a go-kart. It did stiffen up the ride, so if you're looking for comfort on rough roads you will compromise. But even with our terrible roads in Northern Vermont I wouldn't go back to the stock springs. Oh, and it looks a lot better too.
BillVT, in what way do you mean compromise? Not sure how bad is bad where you are but in Northern Ireland they don't really believe in fixing properly, just fill the hole job done!

How long have you had the springs in?
Old 05-09-2019, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking of doing springs and shocks...
Can you tell me which springs you used?

Thanks,

Jason
Connecticut
Old 05-09-2019, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

JasonJ, at the moment I don't remember the exact version only that they are H&R springs with a 40mm drop front and rear.

Might be able to find out later when I get home.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

We have a severe cycle of freezing/thawing with our winters here and this year was worst. Potholes and frost heaves so bad you have to drive like a drunk to avoid them! (So bad that popular lore says someone driving erratically is sober and someone driving straight, without swerving, is drunk!) The lowering springs reduce the amount of wheel travel by about 1.5", so on a bumpy road you will bottom out more easily, therefore you have less shock absorption and compromise the ride quality. BUT, the improvement is cornering, responsiveness, etc are worth it for me. I've had my H&R springs on the car for about 35K miles. No issues.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

H & R Sport Springs, lower ride height by about 1.5". Part Number 29001-3. You should be able to find them for about $200/set. Plan on about 6 hours labor for someone who hasn't done it before; about 3 hours for someone whho's done it before. And plan on a new alignment.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BillVT,
Are the part # for the H&R springs the same front and rear? Or, is there a different part #?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 05-10-2019, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I do recall the fronts and rears being different.
Got mine through Achtuning many years ago. Looks like they still have a very competitive price. https://www.achtuning.com/h-r-29001-...s-audi-b8-sq5/ (I'm assuming you're driving a B8 model)

With the lowering springs I also shot the wheels out a bit with some spacers.

Looking at an old receipt from ECS I went with 15mm & 20mm. I bought ECS spacers and not H&R because ECS included the new longer bolts.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...2411ecs03akt3/
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...6-ecs-024~kt4/

If you're going to do this job yourself Bill is not exaggerating at all. This will take many hours, many beers, many 4 letter words and some bloody knuckles. Use an air ratchet if you have one.
Good luck!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JasonJ
BillVT,
Are the part # for the H&R springs the same front and rear? Or, is there a different part #?

Thanks,

Jason
You can find it on the H&R website. Part number is for the front and rear kit. Shop around and you can find better prices that MSRP. https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...!138924661213!

Quick Reply: SQ5 lowering springs