A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Low Coolant, Low Oil, Engine Light, Engine Fail

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Coolant, Low Oil, Engine Light, Engine Fail

I had my Engine Rebuilt at Audi as part of a recall for Audis A4 2009-2013 i believe ---- I have an Audi a4 2012 2.0T ---- 13 months later as I am driving on the HWY.. I get a low coolant alarm, low oil alarm and my engine just shut off.. this all happened in a couple of mins....I haven't gotten any of the Alarms prior to this. I took it to the dealership and they told me that my engine block failed due to a radiant leak and overheating.... but I suspect that the coolant leak happened due to engine problem (head gasket issue etc.) which than caused the radiator to leak. Can someone thats more mechanically savy help clarify if the dealer is being honest or are they just trying to divert the main issue from the engine so they are not liable ? Could an Issue with the Engine cause all this ?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I find it unlikely the "block would fail" due to overheating. My G35 was 10 years older than yours and it went into limp mode the second my radiator busted while in a turn. Being stupid and trying to limp it to the dealership, it eventually shut down due to camshaft sensor failure. It took another 70k miles for the block/head mating to fail enough to start mixing coolant and oil, no doubt initiated by the excessive heat of running it with nearly no coolant.

That said, there's a number of things about the B8 that I find less intelligently designed than a 10 year older Nissan. So I guess anything is possible.

But your main problem is the engine is now with the people who could cover something up if they had something to cover up. And you can't know anything for sure without a knowledgeable person getting hands on with the engine. Seems odd that you'd lose oil and coolant. Did something strike the car and take out the radiator and oil pan? What is the actual physical damage? They wouldn't be liable anyway I would imagine. Most dealership work and new parts are only a 12 month warranty.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah it is very odd I lost both at the same time especially that the car hasn't impacted anything... That's what got me thinking that it might of been an engine fault which caused the car to overheat and over expand the coolant to the extent where it started leaking. Everything happened to quick for me to loose my block this quick.

Time stamps on my vehicle's fault system indicates that I got a low coolant alarm at 8:04AM and at 8:08 I got the low oil alarm.....8:13 ( I was on a HWY so I put in 12 miles in between 8:04 and 8:13 I got the engine light to come on and than I lost power to my engine instantly.

The dealership is giving me a 12K price fix, while my car value on the market is around 11K. Getting the fix dosen't make sense.... I dont know what Im going to do with my car if Audi dosent help me out.

It would suck to have to scrap my car as Just this year I put it in a brand new Transmission, new Fuel Pump, New Battery, new brakes and rotor pads.... and all work was done at the Audi Dealership.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I don't have any insight to what might have happened there.
Obviously, the dealership is quoting a new engine, which you wouldn't do. You can source a used for 3k. And now you're seeing the "value" of dealership service department loyalty. Ie, ain't none.
Good luck.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I’d ask what engine block fail means. Is there a hole in the block? I’ve never said “your engine block failed” in my career.
I’d also call Audi assistance for help.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
I don't have any insight to what might have happened there.
Obviously, the dealership is quoting a new engine, which you wouldn't do. You can source a used for 3k. And now you're seeing the "value" of dealership service department loyalty. Ie, ain't none.
Good luck.
A dealer would never install a used engine as they could not guaranty that it is good or how good it is. He would need to go to a non dealer repair shop to get it done.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ma3nak
Yeah it is very odd I lost both at the same time especially that the car hasn't impacted anything... That's what got me thinking that it might of been an engine fault which caused the car to overheat and over expand the coolant to the extent where it started leaking. Everything happened to quick for me to loose my block this quick.

Time stamps on my vehicle's fault system indicates that I got a low coolant alarm at 8:04AM and at 8:08 I got the low oil alarm.....8:13 ( I was on a HWY so I put in 12 miles in between 8:04 and 8:13 I got the engine light to come on and than I lost power to my engine instantly.

The dealership is giving me a 12K price fix, while my car value on the market is around 11K. Getting the fix dosen't make sense.... I dont know what Im going to do with my car if Audi dosent help me out.

It would suck to have to scrap my car as Just this year I put it in a brand new Transmission, new Fuel Pump, New Battery, new brakes and rotor pads.... and all work was done at the Audi Dealership.
It sounds like you were low on coolant to the point where the sensor detected it. You either didn't weekly check your coolant or you broke a belt or a hose or the water pump went. As soon as the low coolant light comes on you need to stop the car and see what is going on. Not doing that caused the car to overheat and most likely blew the head gasket causing the other failures. If you have coolant in the oil then you washed your bearings and destroyed the engine. Find a local shop who will get a used engine and install it. Good luck
Old 05-20-2019, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
A dealer would never install a used engine as they could not guaranty that it is good or how good it is. He would need to go to a non dealer repair shop to get it done.

I work at a dealership and if the the customer wants a used engine then we will install it but it only has a 12/12000 for the install. The motor is not anything that we would cover, just like any other shop.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Caelismadison
I work at a dealership and if the the customer wants a used engine then we will install it but it only has a 12/12000 for the install. The motor is not anything that we would cover, just like any other shop.
With the reputation of these engines I don't believe a dealer would install a used motor. Also to give it a 12/12000 mile warranty considering they have no history on the motor would be to much of a risk to the dealership. I doubt they would want a law suit on installing a bad used motor. List the dealership and I'll call the service manager and ask him. "Trust but verify " and at this point I'd like to see the verification in writing.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
With the reputation of these engines I don't believe a dealer would install a used motor. Also to give it a 12/12000 mile warranty considering they have no history on the motor would be to much of a risk to the dealership. I doubt they would want a law suit on installing a bad used motor. List the dealership and I'll call the service manager and ask him. "Trust but verify " and at this point I'd like to see the verification in writing.
As I said there would be no warranty on the engine if a customer wanted to put in a used motor. The only thing that we would cover would be the install. Which is a moot point at best.
Mans are you asking me to tell you where I work @jagtoes ?

Quick Reply: Low Coolant, Low Oil, Engine Light, Engine Fail