Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Wipers at carwash

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wipers at carwash

I took my car for its first carwash the other day. I panicked when the rain sensing wipers turned on and eventually got them to shut off although I'm not quite sure what I did.

Is there a way to avoid this situation in the future?
Old 05-17-2019, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Turn them off before you pull in.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a physical 'off'? I assumed they were always in sensor mode and couldn't be turned 'off' until after that first swipe of the sensor setting
Old 05-17-2019, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an off setting, it is one click/position down from the auto/rain sensing position on the wiper stalk.

Just got my Q7 a couple weeks ago and 2 days after I bought it, I was in a sudden downpour and was trying to figure out what the settings were. So after I went through that I did read the manual real quick to find out where the high setting was. I guess I kept missing the high setting position but I now know it is there and tested it out.

I know others talked of this, but that rear wiper is very noisy and not smooth. So remember this Q7 is brand new. I guess it is best to replace that blade. Is that the consensus?
Old 05-17-2019, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

The manual contains lots of useful information
Old 05-17-2019, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
The manual contains lots of useful information
Maybe we can come up with a milder form of the good old RTFM on this forum?
Old 05-17-2019, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
Maybe we can come up with a milder form of the good old RTFM on this forum?
I thought that was a nice way to put it
Old 05-17-2019, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess you all mind melded with your manuals and "knew it all" within the first couple hours of ownership

That reply came after I gave the answer and said I had my own difficulties in a heavy downpour when I hadn't even owned the vehicle for 48 hours yet. Then I jumped ahead to that section of the manual to make sure I was actually trying to use the fast wiper setting. I probably was using the fast setting and nothing was going to help with visibility in that downpour. Honestly that is what they should have gone over for the intro to the car, the wipers, the headlights and not all the tech or asked me which bucket do I want the intro to in the limited time I got that night of purchase. Also the manual and commands the system puts up for options do not have all the options either. So sometimes it is worth asking. I was happy to answer.

One example of what I still have not found in the manual has to do with how to get the navigation to present alternative route options after having selected one navigation route. I use the navigation along with traffic information to try and help me decide how I will go to each kid's school since we can have terrible traffic where I live with bad backups on some major routes. So I pick what would be the "normal" route and in the mercedes it would constantly tell me about traffic delays ahead (via Sirius XM Traffic) and if I kept hearing too many delays I would ask it the other alternative routes. I already knew what they were, I just wanted to know how long it was predicting on the alternative routes and I would decide if I changed what direction I would go.

At this moment the Audi system is not giving me updates on traffic backups when I select a route as I'm driving. Maybe if I set the route guidance to traffic instead of complete it would do what I want but the manual doesn't seem to say yes it will continuously give updates on traffic. Or was that a factor of the Sirius XM Traffic feed? Or does the mercedes system just work differently...if so it was the one feature then I sorely miss from mercedes.

It was by luck I found a command that made it "calculate alternative routes" after I selected one and am already part of the way to the destination. It also picks some really bad and abnormal routes for my area. It tries to pick ways that are not direct and not what I would pick as the economical, fast route, etc. The manual has been of no help on any of this as I have looked at it but maybe they hid it in a different section than navigation and I haven't made it there yet.

Again I'm happy to help if I can and hope when I'm not finding the answer that I feel like I can ask the question and hope someone answers.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

When it comes to being flexible in dynamic selection of an alternative route, such as due to road construction, congested streets, etc., - I'm using Google Maps with Apple Car Play more often that the Q7's navigation system. Works really well. While Audi navigation system sometimes shows really weird options, Car Play is always spot on.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
When it comes to being flexible in dynamic selection of an alternative route, such as due to road construction, congested streets, etc., - I'm using Google Maps with Apple Car Play more often that the Q7's navigation system. Works really well. While Audi navigation system sometimes shows really weird options, Car Play is always spot on.
Well, at least now that it can use Google maps.

Quick Reply: Wipers at carwash