Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Is air ride worth it? (buying used q7)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Is air ride worth it? (buying used q7)

I am searching for a used 2017 q7 Prestige at auction. I really want the lux package and came across this car. My first question is who picks night vision? I would think air ride would have been a better choice even though it is more. I will be keeping an eye on this but would like to hear opinions if you have air ride would you consider owning a car without it? I sat in a lux package car and the seats are amazing. Not just the massage but the adjustability so its an option im going to try very hard to get even though it's kind of hard to come by. b&o I dont care about. I think this will sell above my budget and the lack of air ride would bring my budget down even more.

Rant: I wish audi would let you pull window stickers online. It takes customer care days to respond to an email. Ive figured out what to look for in photos for different options but sometimes the photos are cut off. Cant see the extra button on the seats for massage and cant see the buttons in the trunk for air ride.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:40 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

For starters this is the MKI Q5 forum and you'd be better served by the MKII Q7 forum.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...iscussion-211/

However, I'll respond anyway.
That looks like a dealer ordered showroom car since it is incredibly high spec. As you said night vision, Alcantara headliner, and B&O are all extremely pricey options. On the used market those options are only worth something to someone who truly covets them. Otherwise they are zero dollar values. Car should have been maybe $10k less new without those ultra high spec options.
As for the air ride many attribute air ride to expensive failures and may be the reason it is skipped on some. Although failure seems to have been an issue in early iterations it is less of a problem now but steel is usually bulletproof from a reliability standpoint. I have air on my S6 and have driven an older A8 with air but never a Q7 on air. While it is nice to be able to change the characteristics of the air ride it is by no means like the MB systems or other ultra high luxury model and a well sorted steel spring setup can work quite well too (save for the B7 A4 sport suspension. )
Old 05-17-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

2017 was the first year of the redesign.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive my 2017 CPO no air for almost an year so recently I've received a loaner with the Air Sus. I was very curious to see how different it is and was really happy to realize if there is a difference then it is very minimal in the aspect of the comfort on a bumpy road. I felt it most if I drive it on very small bumps and on the little bigger bump there is no difference. It looks like the Air susp. main goal is to raise or lower the body however it makes a difference on the parking spot then you need to fit your car from the first attempt but again how often you need it. Please don't hesitate and proceed with this spec.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If you tow a trailer, you will want the air suspension.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The air suspension is worth it with the additional feature of 4 wheel steering. The overall driving experience improves with the 4 wheel steering.
As for comfort I would recommend a 20”wheel set up. The 21” set up gives a little more feedback. The short turning circle is really helpful for tight parking spots. If you occasionally tow it makes a difference. As for comfort it’s slightly smoother than the steel springs set up which is very good.
The only caveat is that this option may cost if one of the air bags fails. My compressor failed on my 17 after 35k.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I wont be towing anything unless I get a folding trailer from Harbor Freight or something. One more question. Are there any differences I should know about a Canadian Q7 vs a US one? I found a Canadian car that im interested in if I can get it for the right price. Window sticker below. Local audi dealer said warranty is fine. Im confirming registration here in the states but I think its also fine too. Just wondering if the Canadia cars have anything different I should be aware of.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That is a nice color, I would be cautious with regard to transfer of warranty. I doubt it would transfer to the US.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would second that it is not just about ride quality but also the turning and Corning ability. I took a 30 min test drive in each and didn’t notice too much in the ride comfort for whatever that is worth but did notice in the turning ability. I too am debating is the adaptive chassis really worth it and the potential failure down the line.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by billm0066
I wont be towing anything unless I get a folding trailer from Harbor Freight or something. One more question. Are there any differences I should know about a Canadian Q7 vs a US one? I found a Canadian car that im interested in if I can get it for the right price. Window sticker below. Local audi dealer said warranty is fine. Im confirming registration here in the states but I think its also fine too. Just wondering if the Canadia cars have anything different I should be aware of.
Looking to the specs above you won't have Towing Package, it will cost you to install OEM for 2k. Also 2017 Canadian model won't have US Audi Connect capability (not 100% sure), also Canadian Luxury package doesn't have alcantara headliner as well this model is lacking advanced Driver assistance package but I assume you get for much cheaper price considering the fact that Canadian dollar is very low comparing to US. If you buy it directly from Canadian dealer it should cost you aprox 20% less than US

Quick Reply: Is air ride worth it? (buying used q7)