Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is the dealer intentionally hiding Timing Chain Tensioner Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the dealer intentionally hiding Timing Chain Tensioner Info

I took my Q5 TDI in for the 45k service and a few items of concern. One item was a noise it makes on cold startup. I also asked about this at the 35k service right after I bought the car. At that time they simply said they didn't hear anything but they did not write that I asked about the noise. This time I asked about four or five things including the noise. Each and every one was listed and responded to on the paperwork they returned to me. Additionally, I talked to my service-writer about them all including the noise. He told me the noise is the timing chain tensioner and that some diesels do this and this noise is within tolerance and nothing to be concerned about. I have read enough about this that I specifically told him to make sure to note this in my records. When I picked up my car, I was in somewhat of a hurry - grabbed it and left. I now realize as I looked back at the paperwork, they documented all the items EXCEPT the timing chain tensioner. There is not one word about me asking about it or them checking it or anything. What are your thoughts? Does it seem like they are avoiding it or am I paranoid?

FWIW - now that I have been told what it is, I have looked on youtube and the noise is unmistakably the same as the noise identified as the TCT on many videos. What should I do? How much of this noise is 'normal'? I have an extended warranty (105,000 miles) so I am less concerned.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by sbbamafan
I took my Q5 TDI in for the 45k service and a few items of concern. One item was a noise it makes on cold startup. I also asked about this at the 35k service right after I bought the car. At that time they simply said they didn't hear anything but they did not write that I asked about the noise. This time I asked about four or five things including the noise. Each and every one was listed and responded to on the paperwork they returned to me. Additionally, I talked to my service-writer about them all including the noise. He told me the noise is the timing chain tensioner and that some diesels do this and this noise is within tolerance and nothing to be concerned about. I have read enough about this that I specifically told him to make sure to note this in my records. When I picked up my car, I was in somewhat of a hurry - grabbed it and left. I now realize as I looked back at the paperwork, they documented all the items EXCEPT the timing chain tensioner. There is not one word about me asking about it or them checking it or anything. What are your thoughts? Does it seem like they are avoiding it or am I paranoid?

FWIW - now that I have been told what it is, I have looked on youtube and the noise is unmistakably the same as the noise identified as the TCT on many videos. What should I do? How much of this noise is 'normal'? I have an extended warranty (105,000 miles) so I am less concerned.
If you are concerned, then call corporate Audi, they will note your issues, ask for, and they will give you a case number (save that number), and most likely send you back to the dealer. At least with a case number you have it documented that there was a concern, and Audi will stand by that if something happens.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have heard a similar noise from my TDI engine. I also took it in a few times, but the noise in not constant and I have also been told it is within guidelines and it cannot be reproduced regularly.

I first noticed the sound around 40-45k miles.

I am now at 80k miles with zero issues. The start up sound is not consistent.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:37 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
If you are concerned, then call corporate Audi, they will note your issues, ask for, and they will give you a case number (save that number), and most likely send you back to the dealer. At least with a case number you have it documented that there was a concern, and Audi will stand by that if something happens.
Perhaps it might be good to get that case number on record. Interestingly though that did not work with my timing chain tensioner on my SQ5 when asking if Audi would pick up some of the tab since I was just out of warranty and it is a known issue. The dealer directed me to AoA customer service and AoA simply said the dealer has all the information they need to contact them if they are interested in doing any good will and I should not have contacted them directly. Anyway, I had to provide service records and plea with the dealer who did get in touch with their AoA contact and they finally covered 75% but still extremely expensive fix for something they say is just a noise and "not damaging". I have yet to hear of someone living with the noise for many tens of thousands of miles without issue so I opted to have it fixed instead of waiting for something to break.

FWIW original full price estimate on an SQ5 was $4145 I image it will be close to that on a TDI.

Last edited by gk1; 05-21-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"but they did not write that I asked about the noise."
Service writers seem to be a high-turnover job. And they seem to hate actually WRITING things out. Personally, I'll ask them to make sure to write down my complaint and before I sign anything? If it doesn't say what I told them, I'll write that in myself, by hand, write on the form. TFB if that offends them.

I don't think they're ducking it, I think it is just the typical lazy service writer. But by all means--get it in writing. Call AoA and ask for a case number, referencing the service invoice number, and email or mail the dealer (receipt requested) to make sure it is noted.

When it comes to odd noises, I suspect there's a selective deafness that can't be blamed on loud shops. I make sure to have someone go on a test ride WITH ME IN THE CAR so I can say "There! Did you hear that?" until someone says "Yes".

Modern sound-proofed cars can be a problem that way, you can't hear when something's trying to tell you there's a problem.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrote an email and asked him to amend the paperwork to reflect the request and the diagnosis (that we talked about). He responded by email saying the paperwork was closed and it could not be amended but offered to send me a copy of the TSB. I responded to him thanking him for offering the TSB but that I wanted an acknowledgement that he and/or the techs heard the noise on MY car in case some engine failure might occur in the future. He then offered to document "that the noise at startup was inspected and found to be normal chain tensioner noise (per currentTSB) with no fault found /no codes present/ and the vehicle is operating as designed".

I guess this is as good as it will get. Thoughts? My only real question is - since I have the Platinum Audi extended warranty through Fidelity, does it still not help with potential TSB issues? That is what I was told as it related to the rattling sunroof and the peeling grill. After less than five months of ownership, I am really not a happy consumer. My wife drives an A5 Cabrio that is starting also to have issues at 35,000 miles - headliner separating from top, etc.

The thing that really troubles me is that total lack of consumer satisfaction that either of two dealers in metro Atlanta seem to have as a motivator. It is totally contrary to the levels I have experienced at dealerships for Toyota, Lexus, or (dare I say) Ford. The dealers have told me point blank - you are not the original owner and you have no long term relationship so we have no interest in providing any type of good will.

I will not buy another.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Has the chain actually failed in any cars and caused catastrophic damage, as with the 2.0 gasser? Or is it a case where the chain has to run a turn through the oil but is otherwise ok? Others have reported using an oil additive (by Liqui-Moly) that eliminates the chain noise at startup, but only for a while, and doesn’t work as well when cold.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't know what the Platinum warranty covers, or what transfers when a car is sold to a new owner. That should be detailed in the warranty papers. Peeling paint is something that's obviously failed. A rattling sunroof, also an obvious failure. A TSB normally means "there may be a problem with" but does not mean there has been a failure on a particular car, so yes that's different.

If the dealers say the noise is normal, there' s not much you can do beyond document it (and if possible record the noise with a smartphone video) and try contacting Audi of America. Who are often useless, but they may have some interest when you remind them you've bought two Audis, even if they are used, and the dealer is ignoring your ccomplaint and refusing to document it, or, contradicting a noise that you can plainly hear. If the noise is just during cold start in the morning, it would be normal to leave the car with a dealer the evening before, so they can start it cold the next morning. Of course that's when the temperature usually changes and if the next morning isn't so cold, they won't be able to hear it.

Personally I'm not a fan of patent (aka mystery) oil additives. Especially since they're not factory approved for the engine, that itself can give them an argument to void any warranty, regardless of whether there's a real issue or not. If the car is running with an Audi approved oil "for sure" I'd leave it that way and try to get this resolved if at all possible. (By law, they can't void the warranty unless they can *prove* something you did was wrong, but simply being able to say "This mystery stuff isn't to spec" opens that door.) LiquiMoly always baffles me, since molybdenum is a solid until something like 700C, and plain moly "dust" has been in approved oils like Mobil1 since the 1980's.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Redd I don't worry about the "Moly" This a company that makes fantastic lubricants.All my Audi's, 3 have run on this stuff to very high mileage with very little consumption issues.Never had an engine issue.When German companies call something "synthetic" they mean it.Here in N.A.not so much.Example Castrol Syntech is only real syn if it's made in Germany.The N.A. stuff is mediocre.Burns off in high-mileage cars.Costs just as much.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Murray-
A lot of it is simple marketing hucksters. You'll note that "Syntech" sure SOUNDS like "Synthetic" and to a dyslexic or a hurried shopper it might even look the same. A very clever and intentional deception. I'd call it. But if you look at the bottles, AFAIK if it says "SYNTHETIC" and not "Synthetic* with a blend of..." or other nonsense, it is all synthetic. 34 years of using Mobil1 SYNTHETIC and I've never had a bottle that said "semi synthetic" or "blend", but then again, I look at the label.
The first time I sent an oil sample of Blackstone (after Quaker/Penn bumped the fleet rates from $2 per sample up to $20) it came back showing loads of moly in the oil and I said WTF? I sure didn't add any moly, where'd the moly come from? Turned out that was part of Mobil1 all along, they just didn't want to disclose their blend.
So Castrol...I know, there are LOTS of really great lube makers out there, and lots of good products. But the "Liquid Moly" business...that's just marketing fluff and hucksters, they figure it sounds impressive to the rubes. I'm just allergic to that kind of marketing. It isn't illegal, but it is just like the snake oil companies and super vitamin companies that are all full of testimonials--because they just can't seem to present facts. Which could be a good thing, those Arabic numbers are all pointy and have sharp edges, lots of folks are rightfully scared of them.(G)