Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Adaptive Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Headlights

Does the B9 2019 RS5 have adaptive headlights? I have a 2014 RS5 and am considering trading it in on the new version. I also have a 2013 S4. Both have adaptive headlights. I've grown very used to them and hope the new model has them.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

The 2019 RS5 model doesn't get the Matrix LED adaptive headlights just auto high beams in the US. 2020's might get Matrix LED headlights with the adaptive feature disabled until the the US law is updated to allow them. I believe they are doing this with the new A6 and A7 right now.

EuroPrice has a retrofit kit to add Matrix LED to the 2019s if you really want to add them.

https://europrice.us/headlights-a5-s...trofit-package
Old 05-20-2019, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

No. The RS5 does not have adaptive headlights. Something I’ve personally been complaining about for a very long time. With BMW, you can code the matrix LED’s. Not sure If it possible with Audi.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:29 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 225 Likes on 182 Posts

Adaptive can mean a few different things to different people.

All headlights that are bi-xenon or LED will alter aiming up and down for how the vehicle is loaded. If you have a ton of weight in the back and that forces the headlights to aim higher the car will adapt the aiming downwards to not blind people.

AFS is a system that turns the bi-xenon lens left and right with steering input.

Some LED lights have cornering lighting that lights up as you steer left or right.

Matrix lights go a a step further with altering the pattern for signs, turns, oncoming traffic, etc by using the drivers assistance camera and even GPS input in some cases.

Cheers,
Old 05-21-2019, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In my dictionary, adaptive lights are headlights that turn left and right with the steering wheel, whereas matrix lights change their beam pattern depending on traffic. With that said, the B9 does not have adaptive lights, it has what is called cornering lights, when taking a turn, the side you are turning into will change its beam pattern to light up more into the corner, almost like turning on the fog light just on that side of the car. Of course if you already have your fog lights on, then all the above mentioned goes out the window. My old A6 use to have cornering lights and adaptive light, its a great combo since adaptive lights work better on highway on or off ramps and corning lights work better at low speed. If I had to choose one, and I should not have to at this price point, I would choose the cornering lights which I think is more useful.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:36 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex@Europrice.us
Adaptive can mean a few different things to different people.

All headlights that are bi-xenon or LED will alter aiming up and down for how the vehicle is loaded. If you have a ton of weight in the back and that forces the headlights to aim higher the car will adapt the aiming downwards to not blind people.

AFS is a system that turns the bi-xenon lens left and right with steering input.

Some LED lights have cornering lighting that lights up as you steer left or right.

Matrix lights go a a step further with altering the pattern for signs, turns, oncoming traffic, etc by using the drivers assistance camera and even GPS input in some cases.

Cheers,
Alex — with the link that heymoe posted pointing to your site, which of your descriptions would those headlights fall under?

— John
Old 05-21-2019, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Alex — with the link that heymoe posted pointing to your site, which of your descriptions would those headlights fall under?

— John
The link points to the Matrix LED kit, which turns off certain sections of the beam and adapts to the situation ahead. So, the last option in his post. I don't think they're adaptive. I know Mercedes dose have adaptive Matrix LED type lights. They call them Multi-Beam LED lights.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 05-21-2019 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
In my dictionary, adaptive lights are headlights that turn left and right with the steering wheel, whereas matrix lights change their beam pattern depending on traffic. With that said, the B9 does not have adaptive lights, it has what is called cornering lights, when taking a turn, the side you are turning into will change its beam pattern to light up more into the corner, almost like turning on the fog light just on that side of the car. Of course if you already have your fog lights on, then all the above mentioned goes out the window. My old A6 use to have cornering lights and adaptive light, its a great combo since adaptive lights work better on highway on or off ramps and corning lights work better at low speed. If I had to choose one, and I should not have to at this price point, I would choose the cornering lights which I think is more useful.
I would choose adaptive headlights that swivel with your steering wheel because I can't tell you how many times I've come close to meeting a deer coming around a corner coming home at night.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

From Audi's media center on lighting technology under "(HD) Matrix LED headlights"

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/.../lighting-7187

The LEDs in the Matrix LED headlights also assume the function of cornering lights, shifting the focal point of the light along the curve. This occurs shortly before the wheel is turned, based on predictive route data provided by MMI navigation plus.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses. My original question was related to the lights ability to follow steering input. I drive a lot of country roads, and like one poster, I've seen a lot of deer around corners because of my headlights. I'm still not sure what to expect with the new car.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Headlights