Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

What kind of tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What kind of tires

2018 Prestige. It has the 21" Audi Sport 5 spoke upgraded wheels. How do I know what kind of tires I have, since it seems the inflation pressure varies by the tires. Also, is there a feature in MMI that shows the current tire pressure on all 4 wheels?
Old 05-21-2019, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie Ved
2018 Prestige. It has the 21" Audi Sport 5 spoke upgraded wheels. How do I know what kind of tires I have, since it seems the inflation pressure varies by the tires. Also, is there a feature in MMI that shows the current tire pressure on all 4 wheels?
Can't you take a look at your tires and see what they are?
The tire pressure is listed for your vehicle on the driver's door jamb sticker.
No, the MMI does not show tire pressure as there is no active TPMS sensors installed. You inflate tires to what you need/want and then run system re-calibration. Sensing change in tire pressure is done by the way wheels weight's spinning instead of direct tire pressure measurements.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. It seems they are 285/40 R21 109Y. And based on the manual it seems for normal load is 32 for both front and rear. 33 for front and 36 for rear for full load. How closely does one need to track the weight?

So there is no way to actually see the tire pressure on the screen to see when they need air? That means periodic manual measurement?
Old 05-21-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie Ved
Thanks. It seems they are 285/40 R21 109Y. And based on the manual it seems for normal load is 32 for both front and rear. 33 for front and 36 for rear for full load. How closely does one need to track the weight?

So there is no way to actually see the tire pressure on the screen to see when they need air? That means periodic manual measurement?
Correct, but the advantage is that there are no TPMS sensors to mess with if you change out to winter wheel, etc.
Based on another forum member's post, I bought this external TPMS from Amazon, with the smaller ("color") display unit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CPYWVCT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CPYWVCT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The display plugs in and sits nicely in the 12V outlet under the HVAC control area. You can see your pressures with a quick glance. This unit, as well as a different unit I use for my travel trailer, seems to read ~2psi lower than various tire gauges that I've tried, so I just keep that in mind when looking at the readout.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
Correct, but the advantage is that there are no TPMS sensors to mess with if you change out to winter wheel, etc.
Based on another forum member's post, I bought this external TPMS from Amazon, with the smaller ("color") display unit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The display plugs in and sits nicely in the 12V outlet under the HVAC control area. You can see your pressures with a quick glance. This unit, as well as a different unit I use for my travel trailer, seems to read ~2psi lower than various tire gauges that I've tried, so I just keep that in mind when looking at the readout.
Thanks.

This is the first time I have these tires/RF. On my other cars (with TPMS with a display) I tend to just keep the car in a 1-2 PSI range of the recommendation. How frequent check and calibration is required?
Old 05-21-2019, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Just set your air pressure to the desired pressure (+/- 1-2 PSI from recommended) and reset the MMI. There is no need to keep checking it. Once a month would be great but we all know how time flies. I usually get to it when outdoor temps have changed a bit (like at least 4 times a year), and adjust the pressure and reset the MMI