TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

question about dynamic and sport modes

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about dynamic and sport modes

I noticed that if I start the car with Dynamic mode already selected, the display shows 'D'. I need to pull back on the gear selector one more time pass D/S to change it to 'S'. But, if I were to select Dynamic while driving (from Auto or Comfort), it shows S without having to pull back on the gear selector. Is this expected?
Old 05-21-2019, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes, this is as it should be, even if a bit counter intuitive at startup times.

Originally Posted by Laptran
I noticed that if I start the car with Dynamic mode already selected, the display shows 'D'. I need to pull back on the gear selector one more time pass D/S to change it to 'S'. But, if I were to select Dynamic while driving (from Auto or Comfort), it shows S without having to pull back on the gear selector. Is this expected?
Old 05-21-2019, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Safety feature - if you normally drive in auto/comfort, play with it on way home and leave it in dynamic, you probably dont want the added throttle response as you rapidly back through whatever was closer than it appeared in the rear-view .
I believe that same applies even to the individual setting which i keep on dynamic for everything but suspension/exhaust note.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

The exhaust sound also must be titled each time the car turns on. Basically, you should re-click your dried drive niche even if you haven't changed it just to be sure it's set all the settings.

Wow, I just read how badly autocorrect butchered my post.

I was trying to say the exhaust sound also toggles of sheer the engine is turned off even if not using sport mode. If you want your car to have your preferred settings, it's probably best to re-activate that drive mode every time the car is turned on.

Last edited by Nebuul; 05-22-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Automatic for me now....I click the button 5 times to get into Dynamic even though I only drive the car in Dynamic. Easy way to tell if it's really in Dynamic is the idle, it's higher....about 1100. Exhaust resets when you do this to sport. I wish they had a Vagcom fix to keep it in Dynamic.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

When I first got the car, I would constantly switch modes while driving to try and feel the difference, but last few weeks had just settled on leaving the car in Dynamic mode which apparently also leaves it in D instead of S mode. On the drive home today, I made sure it was in S mode and Dynamic by pulling back twice on the gear selector.

- Downshift revs are back. I was wondering why the car had seemed more quiet.
- Shifts at 3ish instead of 2ish.
- As GaBoYnFla pointed out, idle is higher.
- Engine Auto On/Off never kicked in the entire 15 mile drive. Would normally kick in just about every light I'm stopped at.
- My miles per gallon probably took a dive, but I don't care.

@GaBoYnFla Instead of 5 clicks, couldn't you leave it in Dynamic and then pull back on the Drive Selector twice to put it into S?
Old 05-21-2019, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Laptran
When I first got the car, I would constantly switch modes while driving to try and feel the difference, but last few weeks had just settled on leaving the car in Dynamic mode which apparently also leaves it in D instead of S mode. On the drive home today, I made sure it was in S mode and Dynamic by pulling back twice on the gear selector.

- Downshift revs are back. I was wondering why the car had seemed more quiet.
- Shifts at 3ish instead of 2ish.
- As GaBoYnFla pointed out, idle is higher.
- Engine Auto On/Off never kicked in the entire 15 mile drive. Would normally kick in just about every light I'm stopped at.
- My miles per gallon probably took a dive, but I don't care.

@GaBoYnFla Instead of 5 clicks, couldn't you leave it in Dynamic and then pull back on the Drive Selector twice to put it into S?
So I've been told but habits are hard to break so clicks x5 I do. Btw, I get about 17 MPG on mine..... Your car has the Auto On/Off? Are you in the US? Mine doesn't. 2018 TTRS.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
So I've been told but habits are hard to break so clicks x5 I do. Btw, I get about 17 MPG on mine..... Your car has the Auto On/Off? Are you in the US? Mine doesn't. 2018 TTRS.
Yes, I'm in the US. Mine is the 2019 TT. My Long-term gauge shows 21.5 mpg, but that has been not with S mode consistently. I'm sure it's going to drop.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
5x clicks of what?

I don’t have auto on/off but mines a 2016 with 2019 on order. Man, I hope it doesn’t come with that feature if it keeps resetting every time I restart the car.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

My wife's 2018 GLA has that damn auto-off. When I drive her job is to immediately disable it upon startup.

It's one of the fuel economy steps most manufacturer's had to recently take.

Originally Posted by Lolster
5x clicks of what?

I don’t have auto on/off but mines a 2016 with 2019 on order. Man, I hope it doesn’t come with that feature if it keeps resetting every time I restart the car.

Quick Reply: question about dynamic and sport modes