Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Sentry Mode?

Old 05-22-2019, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sentry Mode?

I noticed the etron has a card reader for storage. Can it record dash camera footage?
Old 05-22-2019, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. There is nothing like Tesla’s Sentry Mode available or announced so far.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Barron
I noticed the etron has a card reader for storage. Can it record dash camera footage?
I try to charge close to Teslas. I drive 21 etron and am so jelly over this.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 673 Likes on 487 Posts

This would be so easy to implement and is so not a concern of Audi's. It is one of the things I comment about on Audi experience regularly.
The following users liked this post:
SaffsDad (01-09-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

It's a feature I wish all cars would start to add. The only thing I'm bummed about compared to my Model X. I have yet to actually *need* it meaning my car was not vandalaized or in a wreck, but I've had two 'near miss' that I was able to capture and a shooting star over my Christmas road trip that was awesome to capture.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:20 AM
Terlonz

Received 271 Likes on 183 Posts

I think non-Tesla makers are reluctant to fit constant power and/or constant connectivity. Tesla products are unusual in the car world insofar as they require power and connectivity and in exchange off a host of features like Sentry mode.

My neighbor has a Tesla Model X and it never really shuts down. If he leaves town he has to plug it in or it will drain. My-tron shuts down entirely unless I activate it.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

I believe there are a multitude of national laws involving recording in public places as well.
Tesla had to disable some of these features in China due to security concerns.

The power draw of sentry mode is not high but significant enough to drain your battery over a long enough time period. So it is a trade off.
The following users liked this post:
SaffsDad (01-09-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 12:02 PM
Institutionalized Member

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

May 2019 thread revived by a potential troll?

Anyway, for those interested in Sentry mode, there are aftermarket camera solutions that will activate if they sense vibration. I haven't personally used this "parking mode" on my front/rear dash cam so can't say how much force is needed to activate it. I use my cameras only for recording while driving because of all of the crazy possibilities out there. I love it because it was easy to install, is mounted high and to the right of my rearview mirror so out of my line of sight, and it turns on and off with the e-tron and even loop records so I never have to do anything to it and don't even know it is there. I can access the front or rear camera footage when needed. Captures beautiful drives, as well as bad actors. Maybe one day it will be of assistance to myself or someone else who was involved in an accident (haven't witnessed any accidents since installing the camera.)

Old 01-07-2022, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yeamac
I love it because it was easy to install, is mounted high and to the right of my rearview mirror so out of my line of sight, and it turns on and off with the e-tron and even loop records so I never have to do anything to it and don't even know it is there.
How is that camera powered?
Old 01-07-2022, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Similar here - Got a thinkware front and rear dashcam in my e-tron which records 24/7 (parking mode when parked).
It too has sensors for vibration etc- no idea how much force is needed but when a previous version of the cams were in my older A6 and was hit while parked, it flipped from parking recording to full and saved the video.

Got an iVolt with it so get plenty of battery time when the car is off

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sentry Mode?