S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2020 S6 review up...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2020 S6 review up...

I was torn whether to put this in the C8 forum or the C7 because I didn’t want to intentionally offend anyone there excited to pick one up, and for one other reason...I am really glad I picked up one of the last C7 V8TT’s and I feel that we who own the current C7’s have good reason to scrutinize the new model, good or bad. It’s not all doom and gloom and it’s still a nice car, but I don’t feel as though it lives up to the S6 badge now and is just a little sportier A model. I feel especially bad for our friends in Europe with the diesel they’re forced to get. The new one appears slower and somewhat “neutered” for the first time in a long time and it’s lost it’s soul. Hey, all thoughts are my own and not intended to offend anyone, but, I’ll hold onto my V8TT tight now.

EDIT.....

Top Gear's review is up also. They don't seem thoroughly impressed either for a S car....

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...to/first-drive

Last edited by BryanB8.5; 05-23-2019 at 01:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jkwelsh (06-30-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

WTF FAKE EXHAUST
Old 05-23-2019, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanB8.5
I was torn whether to put this in the C8 forum or the C7 because I didn’t want to intentionally offend anyone there excited to pick one up, and for one other reason...I am really glad I picked up one of the last C7 V8TT’s and I feel that we who own the current C7’s have good reason to scrutinize the new model, good or bad. It’s not all doom and gloom and it’s still a nice car, but I don’t feel as though it lives up to the S6 badge now and is just a little sportier A model. I feel especially bad for our friends in Europe with the diesel they’re forced to get. The new one appears slower and somewhat “neutered” for the first time in a long time and it’s lost it’s soul. Hey, all thoughts are my own and not intended to offend anyone, but, I’ll hold onto my V8TT tight now.

https://youtu.be/emEsABuxa_g
I love my 2018 S6 and am stoked that I picked one up. But let's be real, the 2020 S6 isn't neutered. It offers similar performance using a smaller engine with better gas mileage. The new engine makes the same 450 horsepower as before, and torque rises by 37 lb-ft, to 443 lb-ft. So yeah, you don't get the V8 gargle, but its still an equally powerful and capable car.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:57 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by amchuu
I love my 2018 S6 and am stoked that I picked one up. But let's be real, the 2020 S6 isn't neutered. It offers similar performance using a smaller engine with better gas mileage. The new engine makes the same 450 horsepower as before, and torque rises by 37 lb-ft, to 443 lb-ft. So yeah, you don't get the V8 gargle, but its still an equally powerful and capable car.
They have extracted a great deal from the 2.9TT but it is the same motor in the RS5 (one model level down). The 4.0T felt special even though it was a watered down version of the RS7 motor or A8. It is basically the top-of-the-line Audi motor save for the R8 V10. Heck it is even a basis for the motor in the Bentley.
I think after 7 years the expectation of the next S6 was at a minimum 500+HP....not engine downsizing and fuel economy. So even increasing the torque slightly does not meet with expectations of the next generation in an S model. If fuel economy is the push why wait to release the 2.0T in the C8? Why introduce the C8 A6 with the 3.0T first when obviously the 2.0T is smaller has better gas mileage and sells better than the 3.0T?
Heck, if they want to downsize why not have a 3.6L or 3.8L V8. Makes the S model "special" again and should easily be capable of 550+ HP. Meh, wishful thinking as I am sure the C9 will be all electric...the eggs are all in that basket.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm glad you picked one up also, but I am being real (and many others are as well) and disagree with you. It is neutered and playing to the fuel economy, pollution and noise masses. Even many in Audi's home country (and all through Europe) disagree. It's one step forward and two steps back and I stand by my statement. Hell, Thomas is a huge Audi fan and he gives the visual impression he's not sure about it as well. It's not special anymore and lost something in the C8. Fake exhaust on an S6... Forced Diesel in EU.. A 5 engine in a 6 for the US. Really? The list goes on. Is it a bad car? Nope, didn't say that. It's just not an "S" to us anymore. It's more like a A6 plus. You should go check out Audizine. They're outraged as well. Maybe there's hope for the C8 RS6.

Last edited by BryanB8.5; 05-23-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here's Thomas' review for the C7.5 for everyone's comparison. He seems to like it pretty well.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:40 PM
Former Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Here for the fake exhaust
Old 06-12-2019, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

But let's be real, the 2020 S6 isn't neutered.
It does not have a V8. It got neutered, regardless of the specs. I will never buy one because of that reason alone.

Here's to hoping for a 2021 RS6 Avant to come stateside. Otherwise, I might be going back to BMW.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
It does not have a V8. It got neutered, regardless of the specs. I will never buy one because of that reason alone.

Here's to hoping for a 2021 RS6 Avant to come stateside. Otherwise, I might be going back to BMW.
By the same token, C7's were neutered too...2 cylinders shorter than a C6. Yet, you bought one....

The C7 remains a wonderful car. But it's old. It drives old. It feels heavy, and is quite "low tech" all things considered. That is going to be translated as a "hell yes" for some and a "this is expensive for what it is" for others.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

8 cylinders has long been my minimum standard, so a V10 would have been extra icing. Besides, I never even considered Audi a viable brand for me until about 2012 when they finally introduced good styling.

I just can't do a 6, though. Not going to happen.

I'll keep my hopes up for the RS6 Avant.

Quick Reply: 2020 S6 review up...