A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2 Sets of Rotors in the first 15k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Sets of Rotors in the first 15k Miles

My wife has a 2018 A4 quattro I got her new last year and within the first few thousand miles the rotors needed to be replaced because they became glazed and the car would shake under normal braking. Now again at 15k miles, the car began shaking while breaking and the dealer says the car needs new pads and rotors because they are glazed. My wife drives my kids around town and doesn't push the car or brake hard. We live in San Diego so its never seen snow or much weather at all. The dealer wants $1500 to redo the breaks. I called audi corporate and they are looking to see what they can do to help. It seems like there is something else going on that would cause this? Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any hilly/mountain driving?

breaks= brakes
Old 05-22-2019, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

Any chance she rests her left foot on the brake pedal rather than the dead pedal? This is the most common cause I see - brakes are continuously lightly applied and heat up over time. You can tell from behind because the rear brake light is almost constantly on.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

Is it both sides? Maybe a stuck caliper? If its both I'm willing to guess its dragging the brake...
Old 05-23-2019, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah, that’s a highway robbery - good luck with AoA - hope they can help.
Seems like many of the owners are experiencing similar issues, and I’m wondering what the culprit maybe. Is it the rotor or the pad? The brakes are fantastic on these cars from the stopping power stand point. I can feel about a 1mm lip on the rotor, which tells me the pads are either really hard or the rotor is on the soft side. Either way, hope they are addressing these concerns in the 2019/2020 models.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

33k on my car and at the 30k service they didnt say anything about my brakes, and I drive it pretty hard. I do have massive vibration when stopping sometimes but Im not going to complain because Im just trying to make it till Sept when the lease is up. Having to replace them at 15k sounds suspicious.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
Seems like many of the owners are experiencing similar issues, and I’m wondering what the culprit maybe. Is it the rotor or the pad?
Where is multiple brake replacements by 15K being reported? I haven't seen it in my research/reading.

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
. I can feel about a 1mm lip on the rotor, which tells me the pads are either really hard or the rotor is on the soft side. Either way, hope they are addressing these concerns in the 2019/2020 models.
Sounds like my BMW's have always been. Both typically needed to be replaced every 30-40K. Sometimes I could get away with rotors lasting a 2nd set of pads, but they'd go at another 20K or so.The alternative is my Lexus's rock-hard pads/rotors and long stopping distances/poor bite. They'll last 100K. I actually took it in for service not long after getting it, after a decade of BMW/Audi - they told me that's how it was. If that's the "concern", I don't think I want it to be "addressed".
Old 05-23-2019, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by StKnowhere
Any hilly/mountain driving?

breaks= brakes
Nope, San Diego is fairly flat. We use my SUV for road trips.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by PghRich
Any chance she rests her left foot on the brake pedal rather than the dead pedal? This is the most common cause I see - brakes are continuously lightly applied and heat up over time. You can tell from behind because the rear brake light is almost constantly on.
She is a very good driver. I have driven behind her many times and have never seen her ride the brakes.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After test driving 3 A4 quattros before I purchased my own A4 and finding that all of them having a vibration when braking when under 40k miles, I'm fairly certain the rotors, pads, or combination of them is faulty or poor quality. AoA should address the issue but I don't know if there is documented evidence to qualify a recall or something of that nature. It's unacceptable for a premium car to have common parts wear like this. I can do my own rotors, and will likely be doing a quality aftermarket replacement, that will likely be cheaper than OEM, and based on the performance of these, I'm thinking they'll perform better as well. Normally I am all about sticking to OEM stuff(unless you're modding the car), but in this case, I think the OEM parts are the culprit.

For now i'm just living with a little vibration in the braking and if it gets worse I'll address it at that point.

reference this thread https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...lsing-2971532/

Last edited by DexteRS; 05-24-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: 2 Sets of Rotors in the first 15k Miles