Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

RF Goodyear Eagle Hydroplaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RF Goodyear Eagle Hydroplaning

I have been driving over 40 years raced and road street motorcycles and attended many DE courses with practice track time but have never experienced worse hydroplaning since the days of bias ply tires. And yes I have driven in the rain a lot in my Q7, but this morning in heavy rain and standing water it was real bad. I was not going fast and every time I hit a spot with standing water it seemed the tires could not handle the water. I can’t wait to get these things off. They really are horrible. What are people replacing them with? I have the 20” on my truck and there does not seem to be a lot to choose from. But anything has to be better then these.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I too have the same experience. I have about 20K on my tires and really have to slow down, even in moderate rain. From threads on the subject I agree there are not many choices unless you opt out of run flats from what I've read.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

I agree that GY RFTs aren't the greatest - during a bad rainstorm in NYC 3? weeks ago, I also experienced some hydroplaning on the highway. Once it is time, I will replace them with Continental DWS - have these on my other car and they have always done well in wet, dry and very light snow (need dedicated winters for proper winter traction though). The they are a bit wider than OEM at 295, but others are running this size on the forum with no problems.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks dohturdima I was looking at the Conti DWS I think that’s What I’m going to go with. This morning was the worst, almost scary.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
Thanks dohturdima I was looking at the Conti DWS I think that’s What I’m going to go with. This morning was the worst, almost scary.
No problem! Share your experience with the new tires once you get them. I will probably wait until my GYs have more mileage on them before replacing.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:02 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
I have been driving over 40 years raced and road street motorcycles and attended many DE courses with practice track time but have never experienced worse hydroplaning since the days of bias ply tires. And yes I have driven in the rain a lot in my Q7, but this morning in heavy rain and standing water it was real bad. I was not going fast and every time I hit a spot with standing water it seemed the tires could not handle the water. I can’t wait to get these things off. They really are horrible. What are people replacing them with? I have the 20” on my truck and there does not seem to be a lot to choose from. But anything has to be better then these.
I have the GY runflats and can't stand them primarily due to how stiff they ride. But to be honest, now with close to 20K miles I haven't experienced any hydroplaning and again I can't stand these tires.. How many miles are on yours?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JT4
I have the GY runflats and can't stand them primarily due to how stiff they ride. But to be honest, now with close to 20K miles I haven't experienced any hydroplaning and again I can't stand these tires.. How many miles are on yours?
19k It seems it always happened but yesterday was the worst...same roads same speeds.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:28 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I see you're on LI, any chance the road you're talking about is the Northern State?

Yeah I know the feeling.. Years ago I experienced hydroplaning on another vehicle that had Bridgestones and it wasn't a good feeling at all.. I replaced those first chance I had..

If the Q7 had a place to store a spare I would have switched to conventional tires shortly after we picked it up two years ago.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your tire pressure. It can have a significant impact.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...e.jsp?techid=3
Old 05-24-2019, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RadDrew
Check your tire pressure. It can have a significant impact.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...e.jsp?techid=3
Good article. The TR is an excellent info source for anything tire-related!

I am on GY RF as well. I am not impressed with these tires either, but I've no complaints about them being prone to hydroplaning. I've been driving through really heavy rains quite a number of times and not slowing down much (which most people will consider not very safe) but had no issues. A single case of hydroplaning (and a bad one) I recall was when I hit a standing puddle of water ~2-3 inched deep and maybe 50 feet across on the highway within the city limits driving at about 60 MPH, but that would have been the same with any tires on...

Quick Reply: RF Goodyear Eagle Hydroplaning