Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Today's WSJ Review

Old 05-25-2019, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Today's WSJ Review

Dan Neil, WSJ auto columnist, wasn't overly impressed with the e-Tron. Good reading though.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

https://www.wsj.com/articles/2019-au...la-11558717014

Behind a paywall but you can see it for free if you search via google on your mobile device.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Slower charging speed?

Originally Posted by jeffbtx
Dan Neil, WSJ auto columnist, wasn't overly impressed with the e-Tron. Good reading though.
I’m not a WSJ subscriber so cant read full article. Based on the teaser I get the part about shorter range but I’m curious about the part of slower charging speeds? What’s his argument? Everything I’ve seen supports audi’s Claim of fastest charging times from 0% to 80% etc?
Old 05-25-2019, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by wetz001
I’m not a WSJ subscriber so cant read full article. Based on the teaser I get the part about shorter range but I’m curious about the part of slower charging speeds? What’s his argument? Everything I’ve seen supports audi’s Claim of fastest charging times from 0% to 80% etc?
The claim is based on miles gained vs charge speed. They quote that arstech article that was posted here a few days ago. It takes 21 minutes for a Tesla to gain 160 miles vs 36 minutes for the Audi. While the audi is fast percentage wise, the actual adding of miles is slower because of the Audis worse efficiency. So yes, it's true that the e-tron can get to 100% faster, that 100% means 204 miles of range vs 300 something in the Tesla.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default hmmmm

Originally Posted by bugout
The claim is based on miles gained vs charge speed. They quote that arstech article that was posted here a few days ago. It takes 21 minutes for a Tesla to gain 160 miles vs 36 minutes for the Audi. While the audi is fast percentage wise, the actual adding of miles is slower because of the Audis worse efficiency. So yes, it's true that the e-tron can get to 100% faster, that 100% means 204 miles of range vs 300 something in the Tesla.
Ok I get the birdwalk of logic he's using but I think it's misleading. It's basically a double ding on the same topic of range. When I think of charging speed, and I would think most people would think this way, it's how long will I be at the level 3 charger when I'm on a trip (which is the only time the range topic really comes up) and from what I've read the time at the level 3 charger will be faster with the e-Tron vs. the current Teslas and the current Telsa superchargers. So then counter argument I know is "yes but over a very long trip, you might get one less stop with the Tesla vs. the eTron" but this could keep going round and round. Anyway, thanks for posting it's an interesting topic. I'll go back to pondering how and why I justify springing for the eTron but won't spend on the WSJ subscription because its "so expensive"... :-)
Old 05-25-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was able to read it on my phone, here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ytw4R2&ampcf=1
Old 05-29-2019, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see a common scenario where miles added per minute of charging is the important spec: You’re x miles away from your next planned layover and running lower than anticipated.

In general the review is from the perspective of someone who’s disappointed that the e-tron is like a typical Audi. That happens to be just what I want.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I get the birdwalk of logic he's using but I think it's misleading. It's basically a double ding on the same topic of range. When I think of charging speed, and I would think most people would think this way, it's how long will I be at the level 3 charger when I'm on a trip (which is the only time the range topic really comes up) and from what I've read the time at the level 3 charger will be faster with the e-Tron vs. the current Teslas and the current Telsa superchargers. So then counter argument I know is "yes but over a very long trip, you might get one less stop with the Tesla vs. the eTron" but this could keep going round and round. Anyway, thanks for posting it's an interesting topic. I'll go back to pondering how and why I justify springing for the eTron but won't spend on the WSJ subscription because its "so expensive"... :-)
It should be a double ding (in reality triple). Tesla will have fewer stops because not only can you go further in a charge (more total miles per charge), but you recover miles faster as well (more efficient). Triple is because you'll most likely not have a 150kw charger available on your trip. I calculated and on my trips id only have 50kw because electrify America is a joke in comparison. There are very few locations, and if those not all will be 150kw. This is why I cancelled my order, I don't buy based on promises.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LessCode MoreBeer
It should be a double ding (in reality triple). Tesla will have fewer stops because not only can you go further in a charge (more total miles per charge), but you recover miles faster as well (more efficient). Triple is because you'll most likely not have a 150kw charger available on your trip. I calculated and on my trips id only have 50kw because electrify America is a joke in comparison. There are very few locations, and if those not all will be 150kw. This is why I cancelled my order, I don't buy based on promises.
It's really funny seeing someone reference Tesla and 'not buying based on promises' in the same post. Regardless of whether you got a Tesla instead or not, I found it comical.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Minowara
It's really funny seeing someone reference Tesla and 'not buying based on promises' in the same post. Regardless of whether you got a Tesla instead or not, I found it comical.
Tesla has a vast network of DC fast chargers, and produces cars that can literally go 300 miles on a charge.
Audi promised a car that could go 300 miles when they introduced the e-Tron, and what did we get?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Today's WSJ Review