A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD11 on the D5

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 788 Likes on 575 Posts
Default OBD11 on the D5

Three words so far:

"Oh my Heavens".

I've just started playing around with OBD11 and will buy the pro activation code shortly. My immediate thoughts: "VCDS is oh so yesterday". I have started messing around by simply looking under the hood thus far and am absolutely blown away by the things I see. Granted, some of this may bore you, but between looking at the DC DC converter behaviour to the voltage of each cell and the overall voltage of the 48V battery - my gosh, I am going to get so geeked out this will even scare me.

I did not buy the driver's assistance package and have found a guide to activate active lane keep assist - that is my first mod. I then have a few I want to play with, but all this to state, if you are a former VCDS person like me and am thinking about getting OBD11 - get it! You might want to learn some German though too, because some of the in depth info is not in English

While I work through OBD11 in the coming days, if there are any specific asks or things for me to look at to report back, pls post!
Old 05-31-2019, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OBD 11 progress:

Disable auto start/stop system: Fail
Enable lane keep assist for my vehicle which does not have the driver's assistance package: Fail
Disable seat belt chime: Success
Enable parking brake automatically when car is turned off: Success
Increase lock beep tone strength: Success
Switch off speed for parking assist increase: Success
Show gear when vehicle is in D mode: Success
Leave engine on when car is running without key in car (extended idle): Success
Able to lock car with external FOB when FOB is in or out of car. (e.g. being able to lock a car with it running): Success

This is just day 1: There are a lot of settings from the B9 S4 and Q8 forums (B9 S4 in particular) which have no real relevance on our cars. For example, enable low beam when high beam is on is, as far as I can tell, default behavior on the D5s. The addition of a lap timer is not really relevant for our D5s, and the G force measurement thing also doesn't work on our cars. There are quite a few guides for features that I am 100% confident will work on the D5, but they did not interest me.

All in all, I am disappointed that I cannot access any of the seat modules as I was really hoping to mess with the massage settings...(or, at least for now)

Upwards and onwards, onto my own tinkering without any guides over the next few days!

Last edited by angrypengu; 06-01-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How to: Enable Active Lane Assist (ALA) on the 2019 Audi A8L. Applies to: 2019 Audi Q8 (confirmed), and most likely to the 2019 Audi A6/A7.
*CONFIRMED on a 2019 Audi A8L without the DAP

ALA is a feature that comes with the driver's assistance package (DAP) in certain markets only, and may be a feature that is standard in the US (I'm not entirely sure). Either way, if you do not have the DAP and your car has the hardware to support ALA, you can use OBD11 to turn it on. How do you know if you have the hardware? If you have Presense (City?), you should have it. Take a look at your windshield. By the RVM, do you see a camera? If so, you should be good to go.

Firstly, you need to backup these modules on your car using OBD11. A5, 17, 09, 44, 5F. If you choose not to, and you screw something up, you will be in deep doo-doo, so make sure you take the 5 minutes or so to back this stuff up.

Then, follow these steps. Look at the control unit, then if it says "Long Coding" then connect to the applicable control unit and click on "Coding". If it says adaptations, then click on adaptations instead of coding:

1)

Long coding
Control unit: A5 Front Sensors Driver Assistance System
Values:
ALDW_lane_assist:
Old value: not_installed
New value: installed

2)

Adaptation
Control unit: 5F Information Control Unit
Name: Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2
Values:
LDW_HCA_0x19:
Old value: Not activated
New value: activated
LDW_HCA_0x19_msg_bus:
New value: Terminal 15
3)

Adaptation
Control unit: 5F Information Control Unit
Name: Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2
Values:
menu_display_Lane_Departure_Warning_over_threshold _high:
menu_display_Lane_Departure_Warning:
4)

Long coding
Control unit: 44 Steering Assistance
Values:
Heading Control Assistant:
Old value: not active
New value: active
5)

Long coding
Control unit: 09 Central Electrics
Values:
heading_control_config:
Old value: no_heading_control
New value: heading_control
6)
Long coding
Control unit: 17 Dash Board
Values:
Lane assistant:
Old value: No
New value: Yes
7)
Adaptation
Control unit: A5 Front Sensors Driver Assistance System
Name: Lane_departure_warning_on_state
Values:
Old value: Selection_over_menu_default_on
New value: On

*NOTE: This turns on ALA. Because your car does not have the requisite appropriate package, you do not have the signal stalk on the steering wheel to trigger ALA on and off. So if you want to turn off ALA, you need to select New value: Off
EDIT - no longer the case, read https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25608212

8) NOTE: By default, ALA will kick in "late". If you want it to kick in early to keep you in the lane, then:

Adaptation
Control Unit: A5 Front Sensors Driver Assistance System
Name: Active_lane_departure_warning_point_of_interventio n
Old value: Selection_over_menu_default_late
New: Selection_over_menu_default_early

Final notes: ALA only kicks in above a certain speed. You will then see white lines on the bottom right of your VC if the above steps work. Once you get above a certain speed and the camera detects the lines on the road, the respective side will turn green. If you cross over, it'll nudge you back into your lane and if you force it to swerve past, it'll turn red and your steering wheel will vibrate. There's a way to increase the vibration strength too, I just found the setting and then forgot where it was....

Edited to add: To change steering wheel vibration strength go to the A5 module, under adaptations find the one called "lane_Departure_warning_steering_wheel_vibration_s trength" and change accordingly. Default/old value is medium.

Edited again to add: Visit https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25608212 to see how to add in ALA on and off button in the MMI.
________

Kudos to @aechazu for helping me here. He stumbled upon how to turn on ALA, and made a series of changes by trying and failing in his modules until he managed to get it to work. By posting his OBD11 history I was able to follow along and figure out what steps to take and what steps to ignore.

Last edited by angrypengu; 07-10-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are amazing!
Old 06-02-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks @JeffSmith It's a team sport! Hopefully more people join in on the fun!

--
Today's plans. Time to explore this in module 5F under coding:

nhtsa_properties:
limitation_dependency:
speed_threshold
nhtsa_limitation_switches_for_androidauto_no_video _playback:
activated
nhtsa_limitation_switches_for_androidauto_no_text_ input:
activated
nhtsa_limitation_switches_for_androidauto_no_voice _input:
Not activated
nhtsa_limitation_switches_for_androidauto_no_setup _configuration:
activated
nhtsa_limitation_switches_for_androidauto_limit_di splayed_message_length:
activated
nhtsa_limitation_switches_for_carplay_no_softKeybo ard:
activated
nhtsa_limitation_switches_for_carplay_no_softPhone Keypad:
Not activated
nhtsa_limitation_switches_for_carplay_limit_nonMus icLists:
Not activated
nhtsa_limitation_switches_for_carplay_limit_musicL ists:
Not activated
nhtsa_limitation_switches_for_carplay_no_japanMaps :
Not activated

Thinking what I'm thinking?

Also, found this! (under this module, adaptation -> vehicle configuration)

Sim_card_mode_switch:

Not present

online_media:

Off

vehicle_leaving_sound: (doesn't do anything even when activated)

Old: Not Activated

Now: Activated

Sim_card_mode_switch:

Not present

Internal SIM card, use:

Always

Bolding is mine. The last one is particularly interesting. Now, if I have the courage to start taking apart the center storage compartment.....I may just be able to get a 3rd party SIM card to work....

EDITED:

For those of you who don't end up renewing your Audi Connect plans (I have no idea how long the ones in the US last.Here in Canada they're good for 4 or 5 years IIRC). You can use your existing phone to tether and to have your D5 connect to your phone/Mifi or whatever. Go to the 5F module, go to coding, and change this to "On"

WiFi_Client_HMI:
Off

As per: https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.p...2-2017.442847/

Last edited by angrypengu; 12-07-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 158 Likes on 124 Posts

So here's my naive question: are you at all concerned about voiding your warranty by making changes to your electronic control units that can be seen when going back to the dealer? If a GM dealer sees any kind of change or code set, they'll deny warranty coverage for any problems - related or not to what they see.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MorganMay
So here's my naive question: are you at all concerned about voiding your warranty by making changes to your electronic control units that can be seen when going back to the dealer? If a GM dealer sees any kind of change or code set, they'll deny warranty coverage for any problems - related or not to what they see.
No because not only do we have laws preventing carmakers from disallowing claims due to vehicle modifications but one can also revert changes back to factory provided initial backups are made.

Vcds and obdeleven mods are heavily used by the Audi and VW community. Dealers and the OEM's are all aware.

I'm about to try and defeat the start stop system. Fingers crossed.

Man im exhausted from all of this testing!
Old 06-02-2019, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
No because not only do we have laws preventing carmakers from disallowing claims due to vehicle modifications but one can also revert changes back to factory provided initial backups are made.

Vcds and obdeleven mods are heavily used by the Audi and VW community. Dealers and the OEM's are all aware.

I'm about to try and defeat the start stop system. Fingers crossed.

Man im exhausted from all of this testing!
Thanks a lot for all your work! I have an A7 (2019), have you tried video playback while driving?
Old 06-02-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by possib1edoc
Thanks a lot for all your work! I have an A7 (2019), have you tried video playback while driving?
That is next on my list! I have a long list of things that I'm working on!

------
Sit rep, day 2 with the OBD11. Unfortunately, I have to declare that I have succumbed to the inability to turn off auto start stop. I have literally tried everything there is on the forums, with some items that I found myself without any reference online. All either did not work or the setting reverted back upon vehicle restart.

Notably, for documentation reasons, these did not work: (sorry for funny font. I'm copying and pasting my notes)

1) deactivation of start-stop function under [19 - CAN Gateway] [Adaptation - 10]

2) [01 ENGINE] -> [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 6

Bit 0 untick | THIS DID NOT WORK

3) Module 9 long coding : ARASTARTSTOP – try enabling

CHANGED BACK – THIS DID NOT WORK

4) There was an engine adaptation (module 1) for disabling start-stop, and that didn't work too upon restart. (settings went back to default)

----

Other items that did not work: (All under module 5F, adaptations, vehicle configuration IIRC)

Exit sound did not work
Online_media from Off to ON did not work (do anything)

Also, this did not work:

MODULE 46, long coding, “emergency_stop_hazard_flashing” to on, actually nullified the default setting of hazard lights on after a panic stop. So don't modify this adaptation. To properly change the flashing behavior post a panic stop, do this:

Enable Adaptive brake lights

[46 - Comfort System] [Coding - 07] -> Long Coding Helper -> Byte 8
Bit 0 – Emergency Brake Flashing via Turn Lights active (1 = active) (DEFAULT IS ON)
Bit 1 – Emergency Brake Flashing via Brake Lights active (1 = active) (Default is Off)

These DID work:

1) module 5F:
nhtsa_properties:
Deactivating all of these nannies worked beautifully. I have a non neutered Android Auto now!

2) Module 6, long coding, passenger adjust seat by driver's seat, set to active, allowed MMI control under the vehicle settings->seat to show controls to turn on massage/move seats from the driver's side for effect on the passenger side

Last edited by angrypengu; 12-07-2020 at 05:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
estremoveloce (04-12-2024)
Old 06-02-2019, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A couple of other useful modifications applicable to all D5 owners which have not been mentioned anywhere on the internet that I'm aware of.

Under module 09, central electrics, there are several interesting adaptations.

This was the only one I couldn't figure out which I thought was useful:

1) Garage door opener, activation via remote key:
not active

These were all useful: (bolding for the ones I changed)

Garage door opener, increasing transm. power:
not active
Garage door opener, no. of channels:
Eight_channels
Garage door opener, programming antenna:
External antenna
Garage door opener, support door name:
active
Garage door opener, surround. target area:
75 m (Default is 50m)

Garage door opener, use of GPS data:
active

One common issue I have found is that by the time the shortcut shows up to open my garage door, I have already clicked the open garage door shortbut before the pop up thing shows up in the MMI. By increasing the surround target area my hope is that by the time I am ready to park my vehicle in the garage that I'm not still waiting for the door to open. There are number of transmission boost power settings which I have not tried as I don't think it's needed, but there's a useful one!

As brought up yesterday, I did change under module A5 the adaptation for the lane departure warning steering wheel vibration strength option to "strong". I tried both weak/medium/strong and strong made the most sense! I also have been enjoying the "early" intervention of the ALA as well. Interestingly enough, applicable to all of us now, there is another variable called "Active_Lane_Departure_Warning_Sportiness_Detectio n" which is default to 'off'. I know this is not an option in the MMI for any D5 owners even with those with the DAP option purchased. So not quite sure what it does, but may be worth investigating further. When I did turn it on and drove like a maniac (briefly), it didn't seem to do much, but I only tested it for a few minutes. (for obvious law abiding citizen reasons...............)

With regards to the VIM request. There does not seem to be any way for owners to turn on VIM. However, there is a tried and tested solution as reported by another member on AW (either on the Q8 or 2019 A6), https://www.kufatec.com/en/dvb-t-tv-...bus-seat-39960 -I believe Audi has intentionally prevented us from now bypassing the VIM lockout controls now.

Quick Reply: OBD11 on the D5