A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Front Console Lid Operation

Old 06-11-2019, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Console Lid Operation

I can’t recall this from when I picked up my car a few weeks ago, but I noticed today the center console lid does not stay open unless held in place. Otherwise after a few seconds it has a tendency to slam back down on its own and close. Is this normal operation? In my previous cars over the years, the kid usually stayed open without any additional interference.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by pbowe
I can’t recall this from when I picked up my car a few weeks ago, but I noticed today the center console lid does not stay open unless held in place. Otherwise after a few seconds it has a tendency to slam back down on its own and close. Is this normal operation? In my previous cars over the years, the kid usually stayed open without any additional interference.
What lid are you referring to? There is no (on my car at least) lid that opens upwards and therefore could requiore propping open
Old 06-12-2019, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think he is talking about the armrest that covers the storage cubby. He's partially right - in previous cars it was a ratcheting mechanism that had a couple of heights it would lock in at. In the 2019 it only has one position that will lock and if you don't hit it in the right spot, it will close back down on you.

Yes that center storage is a total fail - not enough room and the armrest isn't adjustable

Otherwise great car
Old 06-12-2019, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Correct, the adjustable sliding lid attached to the covered center console (with room for nothing more than a charging cell phone.)

I’ll test it later to see if I’m not pushing the lid further enough open to hold in place.

Originally Posted by Alphatero
I think he is talking about the armrest that covers the storage cubby. He's partially right - in previous cars it was a ratcheting mechanism that had a couple of heights it would lock in at. In the 2019 it only has one position that will lock and if you don't hit it in the right spot, it will close back down on you.

Yes that center storage is a total fail - not enough room and the armrest isn't adjustable

Otherwise great car
Old 06-12-2019, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Manual would suggets it is adjustable in steps (at least here in the UK) will try when I go tot the car later. maybe you don;t have the "adjustable arm rest option"

Old 06-12-2019, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No the sliding feature works fine.

The issue (?) that I've been noticing is when I open the lid vertically, it does not stay open unless held in place. If I let go of the lid at what I think to be the fully open position, the lid more or less falls and slams shut. Not a huge deal since I really only open and close the lid to place my phone in the charger, but the nature of the lid operation does not seem entirely normal. I will check later to confirm if I'm not pushing the lid up far enough. Although I obviously don't want to put too much stress on the lid in the open position and potentially break it.

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Manual would suggets it is adjustable in steps (at least here in the UK) will try when I go tot the car later. maybe you don;t have the "adjustable arm rest option"

Old 06-12-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Had a play and have found if you lift the lid less than about 2 inches (5 cms) it stays in the position
Old 06-14-2019, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

No the sliding feature works fine.

The issue (?) that I've been noticing is when I open the lid vertically, it does not stay open unless held in place. If I let go of the lid at what I think to be the fully open position, the lid more or less falls and slams shut. Not a huge deal since I really only open and close the lid to place my phone in the charger, but the nature of the lid operation does not seem entirely normal. I will check later to confirm if I'm not pushing the lid up far enough. Although I obviously don't want to put too much stress on the lid in the open position and potentially break it.
The center lid is supposed to stay open and adjustable to whatever height you set it at. It’s a little tricky getting the technique down on my car, but it works. You can even open the lid all the way vertical and it stays in place. To lock in the desired position you want: open the lid to roughly the height you want, then push down (slightly but quickly) to lock it in position. I use this feature a lot (since I have short arms) and like to lock it in place about 3-4 inches higher than closed position. One cautionary note: be extra careful when extending the arm slide forward, as the hard plastic underside can scratch the nice wood trim. I noticed my wood trim now has two etched lines from the lid slider. Not huge scratches, but it’s noticeable up close.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'll have to try again. Thus far, I've only mastered the locking of the lid in place an inch or so from closed. Any other position, including fully open, it continues to slam closed at full force. It's not enough of an issue for me to take it in, so I'll have the dealer look at it when I take it in for its first complimentary service down the line.

Originally Posted by ONI1013
The center lid is supposed to stay open and adjustable to whatever height you set it at. It’s a little tricky getting the technique down on my car, but it works. You can even open the lid all the way vertical and it stays in place. To lock in the desired position you want: open the lid to roughly the height you want, then push down (slightly but quickly) to lock it in position. I use this feature a lot (since I have short arms) and like to lock it in place about 3-4 inches higher than closed position. One cautionary note: be extra careful when extending the arm slide forward, as the hard plastic underside can scratch the nice wood trim. I noticed my wood trim now has two etched lines from the lid slider. Not huge scratches, but it’s noticeable up close.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5637.mov (4.84 MB, 134 views)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll have to try again. Thus far, I've only mastered the locking of the lid in place an inch or so from closed. Any other position, including fully open, it continues to slam closed at full force. It's not enough of an issue for me to take it in, so I'll have the dealer look at it when I take it in for its first complimentary service down the line.
Great video!! Yep that is definitely broken. It should stay in place at whatever angle you keep it at, and “lockable” (where you can rest your arm on it) at any position roughly 5” or lower. My guess is they will have to replace the swivel joint where it suppose lock. You’ll get a new lid at least. Take it to dealer and actually see any new A6, A7, A8, Q7, Q8 to see how it should really function. Good luck.

Last edited by ONI1013; 06-17-2019 at 09:15 PM.